Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

Tactile feedback screen sounds like another (expensive) disaster, too be honest, if it's even true, sounds suspicious to me.

This system is shaping up terribly, do not know what Nintendo is thinking these days.

Nintendo's next console is still going to run on triangles, built on current ways of doing things. The other two may have time, with the new programmable hardware of now leading to more exploratory rendering techniques, to come up with effective silhouette rendering for corner-free edges, and use new AA hardware to get better IQ, for examples.

Sure, but this is even more speculative. Gambling on graphics tech is surely a risk, and Ndo seem averse to that sort of gamble, which is why I doubt they'll do so. But launching two years earlier doesn't really give any indication that MS and Sony will be designing non-triangle rendering consoles, either. All we would know is that it would increase the pressure on anyone in the console market. If they can somehow get people to invest $300 in controllers as well (ok I doubt this too), then maybe they can sew up a number of dedicated gamers, first adopters, evangelists... or maybe it'll be yet another hope-you-like-Mario box, who knows.

I still hope this controller is just an accessory because I would like to see them stick with the Wiimote concept and just continue to improve it. I still think it could be the next standard in controllers with tonnes of potential. Having a pointer for aiming was so much better in games like Metroid and Zelda. No it wasn't perfect but when it clicked it felt great to actually point to aim instead of moving a stick. The gestures controls even work well sometimes.
Having a marriage of pointer+gestures+traditional stick and buttons just seems to make sense to me.
And the PSMove showed me that evolving that concept can be even better.
I really hope this new controller thing is a just a diversion by Nintendo to keep a lid of whats really coming.

They more than likely won't be releasing specs at E3, and as this may be the first time Nintendo's internal teams will be working with programmable shaders, this initial showing may not be indicative of the console's power. But there's one bit of information we may be able to glean. If the demo units on the show floor are functional and not just mock-up props on a pedestal housing prototype hardware, then the shipping units won't have 28nm chips.

Sure, but this is even more speculative. Gambling on graphics tech is surely a risk, and Ndo seem averse to that sort of gamble, which is why I doubt they'll do so. But launching two years earlier doesn't really give any indication that MS and Sony will be designing non-triangle rendering consoles, either.
I wasn't really suggesting MS or Sony would introduce a paradigm shift! :oops: I was saying that the two years difference between Nintendo's and the other's tech wouldn't necessarily just be a case of a few more polygons and shaders which Joe Public won't appreciate, and thus that NES6 will look comparable to PS4/XB3 and not outdated. I'm saying it's quite possible that in those two years, technology will have had a shift not in power but in application, so that NES6's capacity to render more triangles and shaders than the current consoles won't be able to match the IQ of future consoles. Even if Nintendo shelled out big bugs to match the future consoles toe-to-toe in processing power, they may end up lacking in important features.

As long as Nintendo's internal teams have a console to work on that is two orders of magnitude more powerful than GameCube & Wii, I'll be satisfied with the power of the console.
I predict a $299.99 price point for the United States.

As long as Nintendo's internal teams have a console to work on that is two orders of magnitude more powerful than GameCube & Wii, I'll be satisfied with the power of the console.
I predict a $299.99 price point for the United States.

Two orders of magnitude? You're going to be disappointed then.

Two orders of magnitude, i.e. a 100-fold increase?
I think performance from last-gen to current-gen increased at least 20-fold, so it would only need a five-fold increase from current-gen to reach that performance. That would be in the performance ballpark that is currently speculated, an considerable upgrade from current-gen but not a true generational leap.

For starters that would mean somewhere in the range of 8.5GB of RAM.
I don't see that happening.
Not mention what it implies for CPU and VPU power.
Maybe somewhere in the of 1.5-2 times more powerful than the PS360.
I'm being a little hopeful.

How do you even measure that?
100x more detail on screen? 100x the amount of theoretical processing power?

It would only need to be several times more powerful than 360/PS3 in order to achieve this.

As an example, the 3DS is almost 2 orders of magnitude more powerful than the DS.
120,000 polys/sec vs 10,000,000 polys/sec.

Yes, I mean in graphic detail, not processing power.

I think saying 360 is 20x faster than Xbox is really pushing things....

Well, I didn´t mention a specific console. But I was thinking about PS2 to PS3 performance increase.
Xbox to 360 increase is not a good measure, because the original Xbox was considerably stronger than its competitors and the successor launched just 4 years later.

@ninzel:

That is a bad example, the amount of RAM does not increase linear to processing power, and processing power was basically all I was talking about. RAM Increases from generation to generation are generally between 8 and 16 times. I would expect between 1 and 2 GB of RAM in Wii 2.

I was hoping for at LEAST an N64 to GameCube like increase in processing and graphics performance. That also, was something like a two orders of magnitude increase.

I attribute the N64 -> Gamecube jump being due to how much 3D hardware evolved during those years. N64 had so many problems and it was so basic compared to what was around a few years later.

Gamecube was technologically comparable to its peers but it basically bombed in sales and was a failure that sure made Nintendo's future look grim. With Wii, I think Nintendo looked at how much Sony and MS were putting into R&D of more pretties and decided to diverge from that and go after a giant new opportunity with a unique control scheme. Nintendo outsmarted the techno rat race. That's what I think some people are missing on this forum. I don't see why they would ever want to directly compete with Sony and MS. Go around them.

Of course, Wii was a sort of "show your cards" moment for Nintendo and now Sony and MS are all about duping that success so Nintendo needs to get innovative once again. This is the most risky route to go but I don't see how else Nintendo can survive against Sony and MS.

Of course, Wii was a sort of "show your cards" moment for Nintendo and now Sony and MS are all about duping that success so Nintendo needs to get innovative once again. This is the most risky route to go but I don't see how else Nintendo can survive against Sony and MS.
Many people in this forum expect Nintendo to act like Sony/MS and "get with the times", but I do find many of their eccentric choices to also have some perks with them.

That whole security fiasco with Sony might actually prompt Nintendo to look for a really good partner when it comes to online buisness models. They've mentioned in the investors meeting that they simply can't pursue this one on their own, and are actually giving an answer to this in the coming months (but did not give any specifics). They maybe slow and steady but they do want their "gambles" to be backed-up with some proven methods.

I don't really see Nintendo as a follower of most development trends. Whether or not this hurts them in the generation they are in is a subject of debate, but you could argue if they simply did what everyone else did, why bother making consoles when your PC could do everything in the first place? I kinda like their stance of "consoles offer unique experiences/are different beasts than PCs". They've always been one who would go through the back door yet people might not always appreciate their "gatecrashing" (a.k.a. the "casualization of the market").

A translation from a loading.se article where they give the console a new name - Nintendo Feel - and give new enphasis to the tactile feedback screen.
Emphsais on tactile feedback? This brings back memories from the good old rumble pak :)

However, I don't know about them actually naming it "Feel" - it's a problematic name to trademark. If true, then it's probably just the prototype name (a-la "Revolution" for the Wii)

I attribute the N64 -> Gamecube jump being due to how much 3D hardware evolved during those years. N64 had so many problems and it was so basic compared to what was around a few years later.

3D hardware has evolved alot since 1999, when Flipper/Hollywood architecture was designed. So by jumping to 2008 tech, I would imagine another similarly large leap forward.

Thinking about the NES 6 some more. I really like the concept of the combined tablet/controller concept so much so that I would be incredibly disappointed if they release it without adequate performance. I hated the feeling of 'gamer angst' I had when I got the Wii simply because the graphics were a little on the weak side and I really don't want to feel that way again with the NES 6. I cannot help but think I would be incredibly disappointed if they release with *only* similar performance to the current generation consoles.

Surely Nintendo would realize they would gain the advantage of having better price stability and the advantage of some of the more hardcore game players who buy 5-10 titles per year if they released a powerful system to give their eco-system the balance that the Wii lacked or am I being a little too hopeful?

3D hardware has evolved alot since 1999, when Flipper/Hollywood architecture was designed. So by jumping to 2008 tech, I would imagine another similarly large leap forward.
Only if you look at Wii in a vacuum. Sure whatever they bring out should blow that away but I don't expect any really gigantic jumps because we've been at a point of diminishing returns for years now.

They need to solve some fundamental problems with how 3D rendering works. Stuff like megatexture will make more difference than even the most beefy GPU. I would also like to see the plastic-wax-people normal-mapping-love-thing go away.

Back