Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

I would hope Nintendo goes with a fairly modern GPU architecture (i.e. Rx7xx / Radeon HD 4xxx series) rather than beefing up the 12 year old Flipper/Hollywood architecture. Hopefully the rumors of a revamed R7xx is true.

I hope Zelda on Project Cafe looks at least this good if not better.

In_Her_Eyes_by_Ryu_Gi.jpg

I'm interested to see what style Nintendo goes with for it's big franchises.
Mario I'm guessing will go with something like a very detailed Ratchet and Clank. Zelda Stylized or more realistic?
Metroid is probably safe to say will be realistic.

I hope Link finally plucks up the courage to hit on Princess Zelda.

Seriously, Nintendo need to realise that eunuchs in HD aren't going to appeal to all generations and types of gamer.

Still not understanding why people think N would ever use an offthe shelf old PC chip. It will be a custom gpu that they can control the IP of and not be directly comparable to anything. If AMD designs it it will probably be a new generation of Hollywood and Xenos eDRAM philosophy. And all of the hardware will likely be designed to fit in a new housing the size of an external dvdrom like the wii so low power.

Hell if they use a PCIe PC design why not a 6500/6600? 4770 makes no sense at all.

So why would they be reported to use a "custom" R700 based design? Why not a custom 6xxx series, if your logic was correct?

Perhaps it saves cost, perhaps they're not interested in some of the new fangled, not console necessary features of the new chips. Anyway I'm just going with what was reported.

Possible control setup.

This is a speculation i posted in another board. Would be interesting to hear the coments from people in this topic.

So the most likely scenario so far is:
-One controller with Touch Screen per system included, closer in look to these:

wii2twinretrowbzd.jpg

-The cost for extra TouchController around 85 - 100 U.S. Asuming a bit high cost because it might include some logic and memory.
-Included in the system is a cradle for the touchController. It functions with the system when in sleepmode to get notifications among other things.
-A separate WiiRemote/Nunchuck solution also comes bundle with the console.
-The new Wiiremote solution could use the included camera for absolute tracking. So when the touch controller is in the craddle it works like a sensor bar for the Wiiremote.
-The Wiiremote then could be cheaper, since it wont need to have an onboard camera.

That's what i quickly gathered. Any suggestions/objections or addtional comments?

*Controller concepts from left to right belong to users Retro & twingloxx2 respectivly.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs50/f/2009/294/6/0/In_Her_Eyes_by_Ryu_Gi.jpg
For comparisons sake here's a screen of Zelda running on Dolphin emulator.
w2_b50gn28.jpg

I'm interested to see what style Nintendo goes with for it's big franchises.
Mario I'm guessing will go with something like a very detailed Ratchet and Clank. Zelda Stylized or more realistic?
Metroid is probably safe to say will be realistic.
If the environments of Metroid Prime 3 and Xenoblade is any indication, I'd say they aren't one to shy away from realistic fantasy settings backed by some real top-notch high-concept art. Doesn't matter what limitation the hardware might have; they'd make it look good.

For comparisons sake here's a screen of Zelda running on Dolphin emulator.
w2_b50gn28.jpg

Okay, now that's just a Photoshop. That is definitely not an environment from Twilight Princess. Looks more like a Total War game running behind the background with a pasted PR shot of Link from Brawl.

Seriously, Nintendo need to realize that eunuchs in HD aren't going to appeal to all generations and types of gamer.
That reminded me of another discussion I had about Ocarina of Time actually containing aspects that were initially set in place for Link to develop a love interest (Saria, Malon, Ruto, etc.), but it seems they never let it come to fruition.

I agree that they need to let whatever incarnation of him develop some sort of intimacy with an NPC, but if you think Link is just some eunuch you clearly fail to see the pimp that he is.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like Witcher 2, actually, I recall them showing an outdoor level that takes place after the initial prison escape.

That reminded me of another discussion I had about Ocarina of Time actually containing aspects that were initially set in place for Link to develop a love interest (Saria, Malon, Ruto, etc.), but it seems they never let it come to fruition.

You could be right, and it would have worked just fine with the story and the time shifting. I just assumed that they were following the official Nintendo handbook of how relationships work:

1) A girl likes you.
2) If you don't like her go to step 1
3) If you do like her go to step 1

I agree that they need to let whatever incarnation of him develop some sort of intimacy with an NPC, but if you think Link is just some eunuch you clearly fail to see the pimp that he is.

Link is definitely badass, but despite his earring and clear use of hair product he's not a pimp because he only knows how to climb up the friend ladder. He's on the top rung and has nowhere else to go. And I think he's lonely up there. On his own.

I hope Link finally plucks up the courage to hit on Princess Zelda.

Seriously, Nintendo need to realise that eunuchs in HD aren't going to appeal to all generations and types of gamer.
Ever watch the Blade movies? Picture Blade trying to get it on with a chick. He's supposed to be super cool with his kung fu, super strength, and 24-7 sunglasses, but when it comes down to it, he's still a virgin. We don't have to see Link get it on with Zelda for him to exude masculinity through other actions.
So why would they be reported to use a "custom" R700 based design? Why not a custom 6xxx series, if your logic was correct?
Because some douche is yanking our collective chains. Remember when the Wii was supposed to have a custom "RN520" GPU in it?

I hope, if there's any truth to the rumors of a touchscreen-based controller, it will have a camera built in for augmented reality interactions with objects rendered on your TV. That's just about the only justification I can imagine for putting a big screen in the controller, and claiming it'll change the way we play games.

I hope, if there's any truth to the rumors of a touchscreen-based controller, it will have a camera built in for augmented reality interactions with objects rendered on your TV. That's just about the only justification I can imagine for putting a big screen in the controller, and claiming it'll change the way we play games.
I guess it finally clicks: Camera points towards TV, which acts as an "AR card", stuff pops out of the TV and into the living room; controller to interact with objects in the area, with touchscreen as an object selector. Still not much of a "surprise" by Nintendo's standards.

But I agree with you: Douch is most likely yanking our chains, but I'm seriously hoping the whole thing with 3rd parties liking what they're seeing is true and that they are able to port stuff. That, and true HD support for Wii games too.

A big swedish magazine claims that their source says that the new thing will be about "feel"...That you will be able to touch objects on the screen and be able to feel them

Wut?!
I can see too many polygon edges everywhere, skin texture+shading is pretty much non-existant and texture quality is really low.
The only upside I see in there is the lack of aliasing.

Let's hope it makes a lot better graphics than that.

I'm curious. Let say the Wii 2/HD/Whatever actually uses a 4770 to power it and a decent CPU to match it, how close would they be to getting their graphics to look like the video below? The reason I ask this is because I want to see cel-shading used more in games. I love the semi cel shaded look of the FMVs in the video. Plus, that game is a Nintendo game and chances are, the next Fire Emblem will be on it. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the cel shading can match the FMV (minus the amount of characters of course).

Back