Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

How many hours ? ^_^

constant use, you're probably looking at a few hours for a harmony 1100 with its lithium ion battery.

In normal use it lasts a few days if you don't dock it, but the screen auto powers off which would be damned annoying on a controller.

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com..._id/3880/~/battery-life-in-the-harmony-remote

*If* Nintendo adds a small screen to the controller, they probably don't have to use it actively all the time since you need to look at the HDTV too. The controller sticks and buttons may still be there.

Alternatively, if you're in another room, a portable/attachable screen may come in handy (e.g., like a portable console but serving game from the home console via WiFi).

Need to know more details.

I'd hope a 6850 can beat current consoles. Problem being it also consumes as much power as current consoles.

the 6850 1gig uses about 100w or less .

Thats 40nm a 2012 console should be shipping with 28nm . I think they'd be fine with a 6850

Would it be coming in 2012? What if they intend to cut the price this month (as in rumours???) and announce the replacement for this year? They could easily come in with a relatively expensive Wii 2 @ $299 and a relatively cheap Wii 1 @ $149 targetting two different market segments.

Check avs forums and you'll get a different story. 10 days... if you're out of town for a week.

It may not hit the max. life in the specs. OTOH, sometimes people forget to turn off the backlighting, which would dramatically reduce the battery life.

A small touch screen in the controller may benefit a game like Heavy Rain, where the game actions are highly contextual. I would wait for more info before discounting it entirely.

i got my father a harmony one remote (smaller touch screen on the top mabye like 2.5 inches or so) and it will last a week or so before he needs to charge it again

It may not hit the max. life in the specs. OTOH, sometimes people forget to turn off the backlighting, which would dramatically reduce the battery life.

A small touch screen in the controller may benefit a game like Heavy Rain, where the game actions are highly contextual. I would wait for more info before discounting it entirely.

It's not gonna be that small of a screen if its HD. The iPhone 4 isn't even technically HD. However, certainly possible that part of the rumor is false.

And I'm not discounting it entirely, I just think its stupid to have people looking at some tiny display when they have a huge HD display in front them. It doesn't seem very appealing to me. If you play in low light having the screen come on and off would also be very annoying.

Looking forward to hear more information on this, but mostly hoping that this would cause MS and Sony hasten a bit their plans for the next gen. I've been ready for a refresh a long time already.

The rumor can easily have details messed up.

Just to join the speculative festivity, may be they are going to release a device that can properly adapt Wii and 3DS games to (3D)HDTV. It can handle any resolution PS3/360 can and more, hence more powerful in some respects. If you use it with 3DS, you'd feel like you have a HD screen in your hands too. :D

A screen on the controler? The only use i could thing for doing such a thing is for a dynamically configurable button array.

What's the name of those screens? Haptic feedback tactile screens i think. Been curious about this technology for years but havent researched enough. Maybe someone with more knowledge could share his opinions on how practical this might be. Last time i checked the tech was in experimental stages and very expensive. But this way it would allow the user to know what´s pressing without looking at the touch screen.

Anyone has experience with the basic vibrating feedback of those Alpine radious or "smart" phones. How does that feels?

Also heard, going by memory, so i don't know how exact the information is. Some researches that came up with a silicon layer for a touch screen. The layer can be controlled to "inflate" in specific position simulating a button feedback.

Also for those interested recomend checking this page:
http://senseg.com/technology/senseg-technology

Edit: But never mind this seems way out there to be aplied massivley to a consumers product like a controller at this stage intime. Still interested in hear opinions from the forumers about what "good" applications a normal touch screen in a controller could provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why am I not, even slightly, turn on by this news? :(
I gave up a long ago on the idea of Nintendo shipping something that would fill my needs.

Why am I not, even slightly, turn on by this news? :(
I gave up a long ago on the idea of Nintendo shipping something that would fill my needs.

You're married, you gave up on that idea a long, long, long time ago! ;)

Maybe its because they gave up on you even longer ago? Im not digging at Nintendo here, but they went looking for a completely different audience.

A 1080p zelda is enough for me to get it:LOL:.

Man the nintendo fanboy in me that died 6 years ago changed into a zombie to rise again.

A screen on the controler? The only use i could thing for doing such a thing is for a dynamically configurable button array.

What's the longevity of a touch screen that undergoes the same usage scenario as a controller button?
Do many mobile games on touch screens have button mashing, and how quickly can a tap register versus a button press in rapid succession?

For example, I've recently downloaded Castle Crashers on an impulse buy. Particularly on its insane mode, my fingers and hands wear down after a few levels of mashing buttons at high speed for extended periods.
Also, from my experience in playing co-op on insane mode, I'm afraid to have a controller too expensive to risk the other player tossing/dropping the controller in anger...

One think you don't need to worry about with Nintendo is build quality. Apart from the n64 analog stick everything they released is built well enough to surive most stuff. Ofcourse if you send it flying into the floor full force it'll break but name one piece of hardware that doesn't break if you use enough force.

Not really comparable to a controller which you would be using a lot more often.
Which is why I came up with the idea of using OLED screens... two and a half years ago. Having smaller, component controllers with built-in screens would realize the portable storage dreams of Dreamcast's VMUs. The screens don't need to be HD, or have high refresh rates. They're just gonna show supplemental data, and maybe display what's on the internal memory.

Back