*spin-off* Dynamic GI on Consoles

Yeah it's probably SSGI that's not used on consoles (I can't find the paper but the lighting conditions look similar to the shots they showed with just their LPV method and ssgi off). I don't know if I've seen any pop in but like in the last screen I posted it appears glitchy at spots (that part of the wall will sometimes flash bright then dark). I saw other spots where that happened as well but I didn't have e_GI off then.

EDIT: GI is definitely still on with e_gi off (which is most likely the ssgi).

- no light being reflected here

- when really close though the whole wall lights up (it's glitched, if you turn a bit for instance the wall will go back and forth).

So yeah their LPV method looks like it's being used at least.

Might be. Draw distance is though really low.

Commands.

Code:
r_SSGI
r_SSGIAmount 
r_SSGIBlur
r_SSGIQuality 
r_SSGIRadius 

e_GI 
e_GIAmount 
e_GIBlendRatio 
e_GICache
e_GICascadesRatio 
e_GIGlossyReflections
e_GIIterations 
e_GIMaxDistance 
e_GINumCascades
e_GIOffset
e_GIPropagationAmp 
e_GIRSMSize 
e_GISecondaryOcclusion

I think the talk is about SSGI on consoles actually being hand placed point while the outdoors do get real time GI from the sunlight.

You don't forget about Uncharted when you mention shadows. ;)

Probably more God of War 3 ;) I never stop to say how impressive is the Santa Monica job, imho they 'beat' even Naughty Dog in different aspects. I'm pretty impatience to see their next project. I hope to see more than Kratos franchise, I pretend to see a new IP from them!

Code:
r_SSGIAmount 
r_SSGIBlur
r_SSGIQuality 
r_SSGIRadius

Do you know what the default values are on extreme?

e_GIIterations
e_GINumCascades
I believe they default to 8 iterations and 3 cascades in their presentations. Hm...

e_GIRSMSize
e_GISecondaryOcclusion
mm... I don't suppose you've tried 4096 for RSM. ;) I presume secondary occlusion is just a toggled function.

So does that means people running 60 fps will drop to 30 fps.
That would make the most sense, but then he doesn't even mention a basis for comparison. Silly half-way PR-tech jargon.

Do you know what the default values are on extreme

Not yet as console prompt is in restricted mode and I dont know how to unlock it by normal way.

Though there is a dump of whole CE3 cvar list but I dont know if it is based on beta leak or final game. Also dont know at what setting the values are based on.

r_SSGI
r_SSGIAmount "1"
r_SSGIBlur "1"
r_SSGIQuality "2"
r_SSGIRadius "0.1"

I believe they default to 8 iterations and 3 cascades in their presentations. Hm...

Beta had 10 for high. Though as I play right now I roll with the max which is 32. :mrgreen:

mm... I don't suppose you've tried 4096 for RSM. ;) I presume secondary occlusion is just a toggled function.

Ill check for retail but beta had limit of 512x512 adn it broke the GI going beyond high settings 384x384. Secondary occlusion is a toggle feature and works nicely AFAIK.

PC has it, beta or final both got it and it is very obvious. By upping GI color intensity multiplier one can easily spot the affected areas but they are already easy to spot by default. If you couldn't see any GI it is becouse you played in lowest setting which has no GI enabled in SP (PC MP forces GI for all graphic modes) but higher settings does. Theres no other way around it.

I am playing at "Hardcore" which I guess is called "extreme" in the final version. Yet, I haven't seen player body or any moveable object bounce light when placed under a bright light or sunlight. As, I mentioned before I even tried to block the light to see any kindof difference in the bounced light but I could not.

What is the command to increase the GI color intensity? I would like to try it out, maybe the effect is too subtle for me to catch and where it is pronounced, maybe its just an extra light placed there to fake the look anyway. That can explain why there was no effect even if I blocked the light or placed a new object near the wall.

I think e_gi is maybe ssgi - unless by faking you mean the LPV method they use with it. Whatever they're doing I can't tell the difference between this and the demostration screens that were always showed in the various tech papers.

Anyway however it's done it's used outdoors as well:

- light most reflected where it hits the grate.

Same spot.

GI/SSGI on.

GI/SSGI off.

What is the command to increase the GI color intensity? I would like to try it out, maybe the effect is too subtle for me to catch and where it is pronounced, maybe its just an extra light placed there to fake the look anyway. That can explain why there was no effect even if I blocked the light or placed a new object near the wall.

e_GIAmount=0.6 (0.6 is default for "extreme" though lower settings got a value of "1".

It's pretty visible and not faked lights. Just consult the above images I posted and on previous page GI on/off shots. Also it should be blatantly obvious in beta editor as you would be able to see GI in action but no handplaced lightsources where GI is at work.

@Alstrong

Changing itto 4096 had no effect over default. Well not that I could see any in screenshots. Neither did upping SSGI radius to 2.

Same spot.

GI/SSGI on.

GI/SSGI off.

Now this is a completely different story !

I tried r_SSGI on the console and it says
r_SSGI = 0

Which means it is off by default even on "Hardcore"?
Then I set it to 1, but the beta crashed immediately. Twice !

Also, SSGI and GI are different here ? Please do clarify, as uptill now I was under the impression that all GI here is realtime SSGI.

Now this is a completely different story !

I tried r_SSGI on the console and it says
r_SSGI = 0

Which means it is off by default even on "Hardcore"?
Then I set it to 1, but the beta crashed immediately. Twice !

Is broken for beta. Dunno if it is used for retail game. So far though GI has been totally controlled by e_GI cvar.

Also, SSGI and GI are different here ? Please do clarify, as uptill now I was under the impression that all GI here is realtime SSGI.

IIRC SSGI is an extra "layer" for the GI to improve the effect, no? Somebody correct me.

Is broken for beta. Dunno if it is used for retail game. So far though GI has been totally controlled by e_GI cvar.

IIRC SSGI is an extra "layer" for the GI to improve the effect, no? Somebody correct me.

OK ! I went to this exact place in the editor(of which u have given screenshots here, with GI on/OFF) and yes, GI is on, atleast in the editor it is. I turned it off and On and the effect is visible. Now I need to see if it is ON inside the game or not !

I will try to pick up coloured objects and see the effect now in the editor :) !

This is showing their method by itself and with SSGI (lpv alone on left, ssgi with lpv on right). So yeah it looks like it's just used to assist the main GI.

EDIT: There's also this:

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=30845

Second pic down showing the colonnade (hard to tell from off screen pics but it's easy enough to spot).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok , been tinkering around in the editor. The best way to see GI is to incease GI amount ot a big value and then decrease max distance to something like 10 or 20. Then as you walk , you can see GI appearing in front of you. That way you can exactly see what is being included in GI calculationa dn what isn't. Fro what I can see, only sunlight seems to be casting GI, and the "the ROAD" si , for some reason, NOT RECIEVING GI ! That explains why I couldn't see GI when I was checking around in the game.

Second point, only the light is being bounced, the colour of the object bouncing the light is not being taken into account from what I see. A perfectly red onject is also throwing white light on adjacent walls.

Third, Player doesn't seem to affect the GI. But I need to confirm this more.

@Nebula: How do I change the TOD or Sun's position in this new editor?

Very interesting stuff here.

I'm not sure what the general consensus is with consoles using RT-GI as it appears to be mixed. Are we certain that consoles don't use RT-GI?

Hmmm....tried out a nightime level in the editor and guess what ?!?!??! There's no GI in any of the night time scenes at all :oops:. All those pretty pretty night time scenes have no trace og GI whatsoever.
SO, basically GI is being calculated only for the Sun, that too has no colour info from what I can tell and is not affected by the player(tried it on two maps). As for NPCs, I don't know, will have to chk inside the game.

As for SSGI, well, the beta crashes as soon as u try to switch it on either in game or in the editor.
I'll get the game tomorrow and try it out there, but sadly it won't have the editor.

But you cant make final judgement with beta leak as it is missing lots of stuff, has older shader code and more.

Ok, I am wrong there about the colour. While in game,i was able toget a red bounce on the wall using a red object. Colour is being considered during bounce of the light.

Strangely that wasn't the case in the editor, but it wasn't a wall there, but another object :rolleyes: !

Road still doesn't get the bounced light. even in game\

Ok, I am wrong there about the colour. While in game,i was able toget a red bounce on the wall using a red object. Colour is being considered during bounce of the light.

Strangely that wasn't the case in the editor, but it wasn't a wall there, but another object :rolleyes: !

Road still doesn't get the bounced light. even in game\

You need to add a big "THIS IS FOR THE BETA" disclaimer on your posts just so that people don't start taking it as fact for the final released game, as the two may be very different.

Back