*spin-off* Dynamic GI on Consoles

Turok

Regular
So... Global illumination on the console versions, yay or nay? I have yet to see anything that looked like indirect lighting in the 360 version.

So... Global illumination on the console versions, yay or nay? I have yet to see anything that looked like indirect lighting in the 360 version.

It's there for all versions but it might not be straight in your face obvious unless you disable it. Then you will notice how much of a difference it makes. Atleast for PC version the difference is big on/off and much bigger than beta ever was.

From what I've seen, it is turned off for consoles. A lot of areas fake it (both on consoles and PC) with hand placed point lights.

For all the touting about GI and the rendering time it sounds strange. Though retail games config files also specifies GI is off for consoles but if they are correct I dont know.

Tsss Crytek....

You could be right on both console Gi=0 in the config file not sure if 0 means lowest setting or off.

One possibility may be the RSM resolution, i.e. 0 = 128x128, 1= 256x256

Another would be turning GI off for specifically marked/flagged objects.

edit:
Then again, they do describe trying to fake GI with deferred lights in one of their own presentations.

One possibility may be the RSM resolution, i.e. 0 = 128x128, 1= 256x256

Another would be turning GI off for specifically marked/flagged objects.

On PC GI 1/0 is on/off. GSM resolution has another cvar and is for PC 384x384*.

*Beta

Strange though considering GI is the 'jewel' of CE3. Anyway I could take a screenshot with it on and off at a certain spot and then someone with console version can take a capture of same location to see if GI is on. Anyone interested?

Mission 6 "gate Keepers". I also noticed going by config files that PC version at lowest setting also lacks GI (GI=0).

3 sets at same location and mission. PC retail game.

Might be even easier since GM added Crysis 2 PC vs consoles face off.Game over face off that is:LOL:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-comparison-crysis2

Yeah GI is off for consoles. It's visible in several comparision shots. Shame for real.

Also GI is off for lowest PC setting "high". Second page video in that DF article at 0:41 from "high" to "very high". However for multiplayer GI is forced on for "high" so all graphic presets gets GI. Maybe for cheating reasons or such.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea...Its definitely off in console versions.
PC_020.jpg.jpg

360_020.jpg.jpg
Although I'm surprised how well console versions(beside resolution and fps) hold up.
360_018.jpg.jpg

PC_018.jpg.jpg

PS3_018.jpg.jpg
Oh BTW how come PS3 version beats even PC at AF? :LOL:

Seems like Extreme settings give you that blurred look more than medium one...dunno whats up with that...

AF on PC probably needs to be forced in drivers :)
At first I thought the zebra was different in 360/PC version...than I checked in game and thats AF.Good to see someone nailing it like that on PS3.Its what...0-16x depending on scene?360 being constant 4x or also depanding on performance?Thats actually fair amount of AF for console game:smile:

AF on PC probably needs to be forced in drivers :)

Actually not. It is set to be enabled by game itself in all graphic modes and for "extreme" it's set to 8xAF. Ofcourse you can override AF setting via graphic cards control panel. If it is otherwise like in the pics it might be bug or DF graphic card CP forcing other AF mode overriding games setting.

It appears to be enabled in this shot

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=2011032222194155sn6b.jpg

which is supposedly from the 360 version.

And from having played the ps3 mp demo myself I can definitely confirm it was working in that as well (some obvious places where sunlight came in from windows or holes in the walls showed it quite well).

http://www.abload.de/img/crysis2g7rq.jpg

Indoor places fake GI. I tested GI on/off at indoor locations and I did not see any difference. Seems it is only for sun lightsource and possibly some special lightsources.

http://www.abload.de/img/crysis2g7rq.jpg

Indoor places fake GI. I tested GI on/off at indoor locations and I did not see any difference. Seems it is only for sun lightsource and possibly some special lightsources.
Yeah, they use manually placed ambient lights in areas with very specific lighting. They usually only rely on the actual GI system when there is a large amount of sunlight affecting a large area (eg, the Battery Park level).

Back