Forza 4

My issues with the demo....

Arwin,

I've just won a copy of the game (Limited Edition) and therefore have no need of the one I bought last week. Rather than trade/ebay it, I'm more than happy to give it to you.

Just PM me with your address details and I'll get it in the post tomorrow (no charge for postage either :))

I've just won a copy of the game (Limited Edition) and therefore have no need of the one I bought last week. Rather than trade/ebay it, I'm more than happy to give it to you.

No fair! B3D Mods get first dibs. :devilish: Just kidding. :p :LOL:

started using manual tranny this weekend and LOVING it. First game I ever played where I felt it is a valid technique without a wheel. It's a bit harder at first but worth it overall.

started using manual tranny this weekend and LOVING it

I've never really bothered with manual before, as I always felt that I could get by without it on a pad. However, after reaching about level 5 or so and realising that I was about to join the B3D Club, I thought I'd give it a go.

The only way it works for me is to have the right controller as the gear level with the left for steering and the triggers for acceleration/brakes. I tried it having the gears on various buttons/bumpers and just couldn't get it to work for me. Which is probably why I've never persevered in the past.

But having it on the right joystick? Love it!

I've never really bothered with manual before, as I always felt that I could get by without it on a pad. However, after reaching about level 5 or so and realising that I was about to join the B3D Club, I thought I'd give it a go.

The only way it works for me is to have the right controller as the gear level with the left for steering and the triggers for acceleration/brakes. I tried it having the gears on various buttons/bumpers and just couldn't get it to work for me. Which is probably why I've never persevered in the past.

But having it on the right joystick? Love it!

Actually I'm one of the oddballs that uses alternate 12. Gas/brake on RT stick.

This puts shifting on LB/RB and since you are not using triggers much front fingers are available for shifting at al times. Also love the precision of rt stick.

I love having control of accelerator on stick but....am >< close to picking p a MS Speed Wheel today. :D

anyone here have one? been hearing good things but I would need to go back to triggers for accel/brake.

anyone here have one?.

Yea, I picked one up but don't really like it. That said, I probably haven't put anywhere near enough time into it to properly evaluate it, but the feeling of holding a wheel in thin air doesn't sit well with me. Also, either a bug in-game or I have a bad wheel, but no rumble at all.

Actually I'm one of the oddballs that uses alternate 12. Gas/brake on RT stick.

This puts shifting on LB/RB and since you are not using triggers much front fingers are available for shifting at al times. Also love the precision of rt stick.

I love having control of accelerator on stick but....am >< close to picking p a MS Speed Wheel today. :D

anyone here have one? been hearing good things but I would need to go back to triggers for accel/brake.

That was the default for GT, right? That setup actually makes a lot of sense for having the gearing on the bumpers, because I find it awkward to use the bumpers and triggers at the same time. I don't like pulling the triggers with middle-fingers. I prefer to use my index finger.

Yea, I picked one up but don't really like it. That said, I probably haven't put anywhere near enough time into it to properly evaluate it, but the feeling of holding a wheel in thin air doesn't sit well with me. Also, either a bug in-game or I have a bad wheel, but no rumble at all.

that and the lack of LB/RB are my concerns.. on GAF thread some have had the no rumble issue but most say they have rumble but at a lower frequency than a controller. Most also said, given enough practice that their times and precision exceeded their controller.

also the recent patch I believe addressed SW issues?

That was the default for GT, right? That setup actually makes a lot of sense for having the gearing on the bumpers, because I find it awkward to use the bumpers and triggers at the same time. I don't like pulling the triggers with middle-fingers. I prefer to use my index finger.

Not sure. I have been using that set up for a couple years now in racing games and it is very intuitive and my hands tire far less. Only thing you lose is the free look on the stick and look back direct is a PITA (A button) while hand is on stick but mirrors work sufficiently (and more realistically)

oh and that leads my to my FM4 Rant... ;)

How in the HELL can you make a game so deep and rich, so varied and detailed and yet omit a simple, simple thing like REMAPPING controller buttons? How in the hell can I not be able to use whatever buttons I want. That and the ability to omit certain camera views form the cycle.

The LB/RB thing is a serious oversight for menu navigation in various games. I may give the wheel some love to see what I can get out of it though, as otherwise it was just a waste of cash ;)

As an aside, anyone here having server connection issues? Most of Saturday evening (UK time) I wasn't able to connect to the Turn10 server, didn't get the opportunity to play on Sunday but again this evening I can't connect. I can play MP, but can't play Rivals, get mail, enter the car club, etc.

UK only issue?

Good question! We have like 14 members in the club already so we should be able to get this going!

I'm down to play, just throw me an invite. :D Cat and Mouse is also another mode I had a lot of fun in Forza 3 and PGR3.

Arwin,

Just PM me with your address details and I'll get it in the post tomorrow (no charge for postage either :))

Wow that is insanely awesome.

Oh yeah! How's that head tracking?

Works well, though I need to adjust it so it's a tad more sensitive. Only thing I don't care for is how the sensor some times loses track of my head if I lean too far back in my couch. Otherwise it works great.

Very generous offer Rotmm! But I couldn't wait that long, already bought it! :p Stuck now though installing the second disc ... it seems to still do something but has been at 24% forever (and now it just jumped to 25, so I'm guessing my flash drive just isn't that fast ;) ). I thought I'd be clever and put the extra content on my flash drive and then have the option to install disc 1 on my internal drive (which is only 20gb).

The remaining time finally showed up and is 35 mins ... gah, this is worse than GT5 but for just 2.8GB!

Very generous offer Rotmm! But I couldn't wait that long, already bought it! :p Stuck now though installing the second disc ... it seems to still do something but has been at 24% forever (and now it just jumped to 25, so I'm guessing my flash drive just isn't that fast ;) ). I thought I'd be clever and put the extra content on my flash drive and then have the option to install disc 1 on my internal drive (which is only 20gb).

The remaining time finally showed up and is 35 mins ... gah, this is worse than GT5 but for just 2.8GB!

welcome! join the club. literally. ;)

and so does this mean that ALstrong is getting a chance to play? :oops::cool:

I've had an MS Wheel since the early days. It was even recalled at some point, but I never sent it back, was very hard to get one still during that time in the first place. Some tips:

- clamp it to something, a table, ironboard, whatever, don't put it on your lap. That never works well.
- don't use the wireless function, force feedback only works with the power adapter plugged in
- thank you Forza 4 for working with the wheel even if it is controller id 2 instead of one and id 1 is plugged in. I hated that in Forza 3. ;)

In general I'm quite happy with the wheel. The d-pad is possibly worse than the original Xbox controller, the way the leg holder is integrated it can sit pretty high on a desk, and the force feedback isn't very strong, but it is well built, the large steering wheel has a nice feel, the paddle shifters are nice and large (almost old Logitech MoMo style), and it clamps to the desk well too.

Oh and yes I will join the club definitely. ;) Will see if I get another Live subscription code from online somewhere too, as it just lapsed.

I figured I'd just answer a few things that people ask. Sorry for not quoting things, I'm too lazy to dig up the posts.

Is it worth it to use clutch?
You can shift faster with manual+clutch than manual alone. The reason for this is that internally, the game treats "Manual" as "actual standard transmission with an average-at-best driver doing the shift on your behalf". Even in cars that actually have paddle shifters, it pretends they don't. As a result, you can shift faster and thus lose fewer revs if you handle the clutch yourself.

Assists
I highly recommend that you do not use Braking Line Only as a learning tool. It seems like a better idea than it is in practice. I would instead recommend that you race with no line, then once you feel like you know the track but want to get faster, turn racing line on to Full to get a sense of the lines.

Braking Line Only has two problems:
- It allows you to never really learn the track, which will cripple your ability to visualize turns properly. If you're watching the line, you're not watching the turn exit, your speedometer, the turn distance indicators, and so on.
- The braking line is deceptive. It will give you the impression that it's okay to still have your foot on the brake at the time you turn the wheel. It's not. In general, all of your braking should be done before you turn the wheel, and almost all of your turning should be done before you hit the gas (which you should do smoothly).

I know that mentally you probably feel like the braking line will prevent you from missing as many corners and going in to the wall. This is generally only true for 1 or maybe 2 laps. After that, the braking line tends to be worse because it inhibits learning the track layout and thus increases the likelihood that you'll blow the turn for other reasons.

FWIW, I played Forza 3 with braking line on 100% of the time. I turned it off the moment I got Forza 4 and I have really not missed it at all. I thought I would, but I didn't.

Arwin, you mentioned problems spinning out on corner exits or at high speeds

Both of your issues are likely that you're just mashing the accelerator to the floor. This causes a high torque load on the wheels. If you are anywhere near the limit of traction when you do this, the car will spin out.

Remember that whatever you put in the car, the governing resource is grip. Grip can be spent in one of three ways:
- Acceleration
- Braking
- Turning

If you do too much of any of these things, you will no longer have grip, and as a result the car will go wherever it wants to. In the case of your BMW, you have oversteer, so "wherever it wants to" generally results in you spinning out.

The speed issue:
If you want to resolve this issue by driving differently:
- It is crucial that you be very smooth when applying throttle. If you just mash the peddle in to the floor, the result will be a rapid increase of torque to the wheels, which will require additional grip to keep you rooted. At very high speeds you probably don't have a lot of extra grip, and you can easily cause the car to spin. A reduction in the amount of lead in your foot may help.

If you want to mod the car:
There are two fixes that you can try:
1. Decrease the front ARB stiffness. The most common cause of oversteer is overly-stiff front anti-roll bars. This is beacuse the stiffer the rollbars are, the less grip you have if the road surface is not completely level or there is a high amount of cornering force being applied to the car at the time. Allowing the car to flex a bit more will ensure that your contact patch with the road stays higher.
2. Switch to wider tires or a stickier tire compound.

The cornering issue:

In terms of driving style, I'd bet dollars to donuts that as soon as you're about 80% of the way done with the turn and you're starting to return the wheel to center, you're immediately slamming on the gas. In any remotely fast car, this will cause you to spin out almost immediately.
A turn will always have 4 distinct phases:
1. Braking. This is when you are full on the brake. Your foot should in general be off of the brake before you cut the wheel. The reason is simple, braking consumes grip, thus if you're braking and turning at the same time, you can't turn as fast as you could if you were only turning.
2. Turning. At this point you cut the wheel and give only enough throttle to maintain speed.
3. Exit. Here you're coming out of the turn. Because the wheels are beginning to straighten, you can begin to *carefully* apply gas so that you can expend the grip no longer being used to turn to accelerate. Note though that the wheel is not dead straight at this point and thus you can't just give it the beans.
4. Straightaways: Once the wheel is straight, you can basically go nuts.

Hope that helps.

No, all you can see is its raw performance number. You don't get the other ratings.

I assume they did this to encourage you to select the specific car you like the best, not just the one with the highest number.

So can you use tuned cars in class-specific events?

So can you use tuned cars in class-specific events?

Yes. All career-mode races allow mods. In fact the AI typically uses modded cars, so it's usually a good idea to mod your car to the top of its class.

Side note on the freebie cars, there are some guides out there that will give you a list of all the freebie cars in each tier along with their prices. It's very useful because there are some tiers where one or more cars are either vastly more or less expensive than the others (like literally to the tune of hundreds of thousands of credits difference).

If you want more than one of the cars long term, it's usually best to pick the most expensive one as the freebie.

Of course the other option is to level up to 50, then start a new game and just gift all of the cars to yourself and pick different ones the second time through (although of course you lose your driver and affinity levels if you do this).

Yikes, either you have something defective, or you have the worlds slowest usb thumb drive. Don't use it for gaming if it's that slow, it will likely cause issues.

Back