Forza 4

Depends, if they look like the cardboard cutouts in GT5 then I'd prefer they leave them out. Likewise if it means having a GT5 <60fps frame rate I'd also prefer they leave them out. I liked that Forza 3 had a real 60fps frame rate unlike so many console games that claim 60fps yet aren't, so I hope they keep true 60fps a top priority in Forza 4. Seemed to be that way at e3 at least, the game ran buttery smooth.

Agreed. I tend to concentrate so hard when racing that I forget to blink even...So when there is tearing or frame rate fluctuations, it's really noticeable. Crowds are cool on street circuits but I don't really care of the grandstands or empty or full, esp if it comes at the expense of performance.

Anyways, I'll get the limited Edition if Spa is included in this game. I made no DLC purchases for Forza 3 due to lack of Spa. That trend will carry over to Forza and GT series until they get it together.

I definitely agree with you two that I much rather have solid performance instead of crowds, I'm just hoping they still are able to add them. Forza 3 had missing crowds at E3 2009 that were later added, which is what I'm basing my hopes on.

Also I thought there was some pictures taken from inside the studio where they had concept art or photos of Spa on a wall, so there's at least some hope it'll be included. :smile:

Isnt it what it is trying to be and then plus some?

They are competing, sure, but I honestly much rather them go off into their own direction in this sub-genre. IMO things would be very repetitive and boring if every game in every genre was the same to that extent.

Basically I don't need rally racing for one game to stack up well against another as long as it offers it's own set of features and perks. Given how Forza 4 is given a ~2 year dev cycle, I don't really think it's realistic to expect it to match GT5 feature for feature anyways. Much rather them work on making the actual street racing feel better, balancing/removing the assists, and tweaking the gameplay, then add another feature that may be included to the detriment of more important factors in the game just to mark off a trivial check list.

Please have Spa. Please have Spa. Please have Spa. Please have Spa....

Would love to see Spa in Forza 4, especially the longer original track from the nineteen twenties :)
I just love the longer tracks in Forza 3 (The Ring, Fujimi Kaido etc). Forza/GT should have more "long" tracks in my opinion.

Also, anyone know how head tracking is going to be handled? Is it tracking turning of the head? I was just playing Forza3 the other day and found myself tilting my head the same way as the turn, maybe this is a good way to implement head tracking. (Turning head = eyes of the screen, so not a optimal way to do it IMO). Thoughts?

Also going to pre order the LCE box set. Got to love the M5 on the cover :)

Slightly off topic: Just got a hold of 2 tickets for the Ring-Taxi :) Already been around The Ring in the M5 Ring Taxi, looking forward to going round in the M3 or new M5 (whatever they have when I go) :D

Inside Xbox did an interview with Dan Greenawalt. It's about 8mins long. Dan does confirm that Turn 10 did get help from Epic. Which is great. Talks about IBL (same ol' same ol') Tyre physics, some multiplayer, and Kinect integration. Great interview with Tina! :cool:

Bfigved said:
Slightly off topic: Just got a hold of 2 tickets for the Ring-Taxi :) Already been around The Ring in the M5 Ring Taxi, looking forward to going round in the M3 or new M5 (whatever they have when I go) :D

they have/had a Nissan gt-r ( at least it was there last fall when I studied in Germany) gt-r is faster than the m5 which after all is a tuned up family car.

Turning head = eyes of the screen, so not a optimal way to do it IMO

Have you actually experienced it? TrackIR works this way and I've used one for a few years. It was second nature to me within my first 20 minutes of play. Feels very natural. Tracking things with your eyes is pretty much subconscious, so it's not like you have to think 'now I'm turning my head right so I need to look more left!' - you just automatically do it.

Btw, does anyone know if the N'ring will be modeled more accurately. I always thought the track appeared wider than it actually was or was I seeing things?

Have you actually experienced it? TrackIR works this way and I've used one for a few years. It was second nature to me within my first 20 minutes of play. Feels very natural. Tracking things with your eyes is pretty much subconscious, so it's not like you have to think 'now I'm turning my head right so I need to look more left!' - you just automatically do it.

Hehe, no I have no experience with head tracking, and my observation was just based on the fakt that I was playing Forza and found myself tilting the head in the turns.
And I will sertenly reserve judgment till the game is out :) What ever the method used I'm sure it will add a good amount of immersion :) (tho I usually play in the bumper cam mode so not sure if it will be something I will use that much ;))

Btw, does anyone know if the N'ring will be modeled more accurately. I always thought the track appeared wider than it actually was or was I seeing things?

Having been around the ring in real life and played quite a bit of Forza, I think it's quite accurate. I know from playing split screen that there aren't many places to make a clean pass without trading some paint :)

they have/had a Nissan gt-r ( at least it was there last fall when I studied in Germany) gt-r is faster than the m5 which after all is a tuned up family car.

Oh I'm sure they have, but I don't think the official BMW Ring Taxi has any other car then a BMW :)

Next time I go I will most likely drive down myself and put my own car around as well :) (a 2010 BMW 320d xDrive Touring)

Top Gear just had the Nissan GT-R on. Bloody amazing piece of machinery. I'd love to get a chance to drive one.

Regards,
SB

Hong Kong is such a small city full of showoffs. ;) there are no less than three GTRs parked on the street below my home right now!

No. You are not seeing things!
Nurburgring Nordschleife is not accurate in any Forza game because, among other flaws, the track is always wider than it actually is, and unfortunately you can see that problem in all tracks.
If you compare videos with real life you will realise that.

That's just another feature where GT5 is stronger, because unlike Forza, GT5 is almost perfect in tracks accuracy.
Take a look at Nordschleife GT5 vs Real with the same car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9s_G1ph_vA&feature=autoplay&list=UL5itu-tNHtyo&index=11&playnext=2

But I think this is normal, because of the nature of the two games that makes them have different purposes.
While Forza is a more user friendly driving game which gives great importance to costumization, GT5 is more focused in driving itself, and aims to be a more pure and accurate Driving Simulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the features described in the second vid. Would love to see this on PC. It's a shame the two biggest driving game franchises are solely on consoles. Shift 2 seems to be the closest we can get, but it just doesn't feel like a complete experience, compared to my memories of playing Gran Turismo years ago. Perhaps the golden glow of nostalgia is blinding me to the truth, but I can't help but feel a bit short changed when the last non hardcore racer I enjoyed on PC was Grid from a million years ago, and that didn't come close to being what I was looking for (GT for the PC essentially I guess).

Why wouldn't they release Forza to the PC after 6 months or so? GTA IV got away with being a year or so after IIRC, and still sold in good numbers.

I couldn't stand Forza 2 because its Career mode was extremely boring, at some point playing it I wanted to puke. I purchased the Xbox slim model months ago and Forza 3 was bundled with it, along with Alan Wake.

I didn't play the game for a while, but one fine day I gave Forza 3 a try and the game has changed for the better. The 3rd installment of the series is a great game. In fact I am very hyped about Forza 4 because of Forza 3, like in the old times, when I was very much into racing games.

Some recent videos showing new game modes, Autovista with comments by Jeremy Clarkson and the new features:

I really really hope they bring back Blue Mountains track from Forza 1, one of my favourite tracks ever made in the whole history of videogames. Huge draw distance, amazing landscapes, great kerbs... I miss that track, they should have carried it over...

Last edited by a moderator:
Some very impressive stuff in this video featuring the making of the new Bernese Alps track. I think this mountain course has been inspired by a similar track in GT5 although in my opinion Turn 10 took the graphics to a whole new level. They are putting a lot of effort in this new game.

Some very impressive stuff in this video featuring the making of the new Bernese Alps track. I think this mountain course has been inspired by a similar track in GT5 although in my opinion Turn 10 took the graphics to a whole new level. They are putting a lot of effort in this new game.

My god this game is looking good:D think this game will end up one of the best looking games on the 360..
26th of October can't get here soon enough... Was hoping to get 100% achievements on Forza3 before Forza4 came out, but due too a hard drive failure I lost my save game :(, was on level 48 and just missing 3-4 races on year 6..

Back