Worldwide PS3 numbers pass 360

Many gamers were replacing their Falcons and Jaspers for new Slim models, Kinect bundle was a good option to do that (+ you have Kinect for ~100$).

Could someone change the thread title to something appropriate? like: Analysts estimate more PS3's in use than Xbox 360s.

I clicked on this thread looking to see some whacky shipped number from Sony and was completely misled.

Withough a definition of what consitutes an active console, this report becomes even less meaningful. How long between uses counts as active? Does someone sticking a BRD in a PS3 once a month count as an active user when calculating install base?

Seriously, anyone wanting to continue this discussion has to appreciate they'll be arguing with no worthwhile facts whatsoever, so it'll just be a trade of decidedly subjective and mostly unfounded opinions!

Withough a definition of what consitutes an active console, this report becomes even less meaningful. How long between uses counts as active? Does someone sticking a BRD in a PS3 once a month count as an active user when calculating install base?

Seriously, anyone wanting to continue this discussion has to appreciate they'll be arguing with no worthwhile facts whatsoever, so it'll just be a trade of decidedly subjective and mostly unfounded opinions!

So true. My PS3 is mostly used as a media player which I use at least 4-6 times a week.
The Last game I played on it was Castlevania several months ago.

I guess it is technically active just not as a gaming system.

I wouldn't rule out there being more "active" PS3s out there, I was just having a "lol analysts" moment.

I would, however, question not only the accuracy but the value of any "active install" base number turned out by analysts.

For example, how does a still working 360 weigh in if it's mostly collecting dust in a spare room or being used a media extender because a new slim is now under the telly? What about an actively used but pirate modded 360? What about a PS3 that's only used for BluRay? What about a Wii that only gets used for Wii Sports at Christmas or Wii Fit after Christmas?

Game sales (+ dlc etc) are the really important thing, along with other money earners like network subscriptions and movie rentals. Hardware sales also generate profit (or loss), and can be used to help predict the shape of things to come, but I'm really not sure about the value of these Strategy Analytics figures.

Yeah the definitions are hard to tie down. I think it just suggests that proportionally less people are gaming on the 360 outside the US. In the UK it still sells, but I wonder if in other countries people are switching off their 360s and turning to PS3, Wii or even PC due to the age of console technology?

Either way, it lets Sony off the hook in terms of a price cut. They can afford to be £100 more expensive and sell better in 'the rest of the world' so we'll probably see more bundles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the 360's being sold now seem to be Kinect models - check out the price of those. More expensive than the PS3 on Amazon. No wonder MS want this generation to last forever (and are squeezing more space out of the disks). Kinect-less 360's have almost hit clearance.

Which will disappear first; Kinect-less 4GB or 250GB?

120gb PS3 £250 (or £230 on Amazon) 250gb 360 £150.

oddly the ps3 is exactly the same price as the 360 with hard drive in NA. Add in the kinect bundle and the asp is actually higher here than the asp of the ps3.

This is just some estimate and they dont disclose their method of determining how they think they know exactly how many "active" consoles there are. Meaningless.

Given we have newish European sales report though, GAF says this for EU+USA+Japan through December 2010 (using that Europe report, NPD, and media create life to date through 2010, of course this wouldn't include everything outside those regions):

Wii: 67.89M
360: 40.54M
PS3: 36.24M

Given we have newish European sales report though, GAF says this for EU+USA+Japan through December 2010 (using that Europe report, NPD, and media create life to date through 2010, of course this wouldn't include everything outside those regions):

Yeah, that's why it's meaningless as WW numbers.

Wii - 84.64M - 67.89M -> 16,75M
Xbox - 50.9M - 40.54M -> 10,36M
PS3 - 47.9M - 36.24M -> 11,66M

So many missing consoles :)

The 360 was obviously hit hard by the RROD so there is obviously not as many in circulation as sold but the YLOD also hit fat PS3's pretty good and I don't know what the error rates are to compare. Has there been any mass Wii failures?

I don't understand why all those facts should be known to us for this info to be somewhat valuable. I'm not going to fork 7000$ to read the full report to know how exactly they have made their estimate, but this is not predicting the future or anything like that. They should have the means to conduct a proper survey and have it be as accurate as any other well made survey, just because we don't know the exact definitions for everything doesn't automatically make the paper any less relevant.

The fact that they quessed the future marketshares totaly wrong, just means that they thought things would go pretty much like everybody else thought as well. Analysing the current existing situation is far easier with proper tools and a brief look at their website doesn't in any way make them look like some amateurs, which seems to be what some people are thinking here.

http://www.strategyanalytics.com

Also logically when you know that the two consoles are within 3 million shipped, and the average age for the X360 console is about one year older, the huge RROD problem. I don't see any worthwhile evidence to suggest that the info is incorrect, even if we don't know all the effects exactly. Until something to that effect is given to me, I'm going to assume that the info probably is pretty close to the mark.

Does it really matter at this point? They're both doing well and are pretty much neck and neck. If one starts taking a significant lead, then it might get interesting again.

For me, I stopped caring a while ago.

The 360 was obviously hit hard by the RROD so there is obviously not as many in circulation as sold but the YLOD also hit fat PS3's pretty good and I don't know what the error rates are to compare. Has there been any mass Wii failures?

Warranty repairs/replacements do not count as sales. (3 year warranty on RROD)

I don't understand why all those facts should be known to us for this info to be somewhat valuable. I'm not going to fork 7000$ to read the full report to know how exactly they have made their estimate, but this is not predicting the future or anything like that. They should have the means to conduct a proper survey and have it be as accurate as any other well made survey, just because we don't know the exact definitions for everything doesn't automatically make the paper any less relevant.
They say PS3 has more active units than XB360. Posters here say XB360 has a bigger install base, it can't be true. Without any definition of what they mean by active, it's a completely useless measurement, notably because what they consider active may not be what those posting here would consider active. Like I said, what if people are watching BRDs on PS3 and that counts? That makes no difference to the install base for games. What if the XB360 units see 50% more action? That makes it a more lucrative base even with a few fewer active users.

This piece of information is an orphaned, unexplained factoid. It can't be discussed in any way because it has no context or comparable bits of information to relate it to, save install base. It's like a report saying there are more big people in Birmingham than London. What do I mean by big? Is that a relative or absolute measure? How did I measure those people? Thus the report serves no useful purpose. If we ever hear what exactly they are measuring and how they are making their estimates, then there'd be an opportunity to evaluate their findings as whether we consider them representative or not. Until then, what exactly is done with this information? Most importantly it isn't that the worldwide isntall abse of PS3 has surpassed 360's, which would be a simple, obvious measure.

They say PS3 has more active units than XB360. Posters here say XB360 has a bigger install base, it can't be true. Without any definition of what they mean by active, it's a completely useless measurement, notably because what they consider active may not be what those posting here would consider active.

I'm sure the purpose of that study was not to make distinctions between usage patterns. Most likely "active" means either capable of operation or sees atleast limited operation. Once a month Blu-ray movie is probably thus active. In any case there is no reason to assume that they have handled the platforms differently regarding their activity status.

what exactly is done with this information?

Active user base is an important metric, more important than "simple installed base measure" It's an up to date situation of the healthtiness of an ecosystem. Granted when they are so close to each other, it probably matters quite little. (edit Ok just noticed this is somewhat out of context...)

I don't think your questions undermines the data that is given to us. Answers to those questions certainly would help to get a clearer image of the situation, but their conclusions make sense to me anyway.

Active user base is an important metric, more important than "simple installed base measure"

"Active" at doing what? Turning a system on? Playing the same games that were bought 2 years ago? Purchasing content?

And how active? Image 10 million users buying 1 game a year for console X, or 5 million users buying 12 games a year for console Y. Is platform X the stronger platform for development? What if platform Y's games are 99p phone apps?

"Active userbase" could potentially be a more misleading figure to base a business decision on than "simple installed base".

It's an up to date situation of the healthtiness of an ecosystem.

It's a potentially misleading way to judge the healthiness of an ecosystem. It could even be misleading if you knew what "active" meant.

The full report (with a definition of "active") would probably be more useful, especially if it broke down types of activities and levels of activity amongst proportions of the userbase, but these headline figures on their own have no real value.

"Active userbase" could potentially be a more misleading figure to base a business decision on than "simple installed base".

How so? "simple Installed base" includes "active userbase" + totally inactive units, how is that better for making a decision?

I quess you have to mean gross platform. The usage models, tie ratios and such between these consoles are outside of what I was talking about. Of course those are very important too, perhaps even more important, but then you have to take in to account what these things were designed to do.

The predictions of Sony winning the 2nd round against the XBOX is coming though, some 5 years later than expected and by amounts that can only be considered useless compared to what was expected.

Sony winning the round overall still has some 10-20 years to go before it will beat the wii :)

Back