Worldwide PS3 numbers pass 360

April Fool?

This was on gamasutra yesterday, and the numbers are pretty much nearly dead even, if the numbers from this analyst group are correct. It's the difference of 500,000 units worldwide. It's not an unbelievable estimate.

Strange just saw reports on Gaf from a other group that the ps3 was 1 mill ahead in europe. And the 360 was ahead of the ps3 10 mill in the use..

What ever im glad both console are close at each other but im getting conflicting numbers from different sources time will tell.

This was on gamasutra yesterday, and the numbers are pretty much nearly dead even, if the numbers from this analyst group are correct. It's the difference of 500,000 units worldwide. It's not an unbelievable estimate.

Yeah it's no April fool.

I think Sony's recent release of GT5, LBP and KZ are all quite Europe-oriented and except GT, all were developed here and have helped their numbers here. Hopefully Motorstom will also do well.

I'd say too early to call for sure. Wait until a decent distance ahead, as beign close could mean the difference of the margin of error. Given Kinect's escalation though, I can't see how this true. PS3 has slipped behind in the US in recent monthes, so how can PS3 suddenly overtake worldwide, unless it's seen some strange boost somewhere?

All said though, I'm saying skip this news story for the time being as being a noise generator with a lot of argumentative opinions to come and negligable facts to support them. The take-home point is over the years, PS3 has surprsingly caught up with XB360 and both have sold healthy amounts, making this the most balanced generation ever.

The estimate is about active units out there...
Not shipped, not sold through, but the amount of units that are actually in use. It's not even surprising that PS3 could be ahead in that metric as of now, when the difference in installed base is only a few million units in favour of 360.

edit:
The fact that 360 launched one year earlier already makes it more likely to have more units MIA. Strong PS3 software sales also supports that, but in the end this is an estimate by some analyst company.

Last edited by a moderator:
The estimate is about active units out there...
Not shipped, not sold through, but the amount of units that are actually in use. It's not even surprising that PS3 could be ahead in that metric as of now, when the difference in installed base is only a few million units in favour of 360.

edit:
The fact that 360 launched one year earlier already makes it more likely to have more units MIA. Strong PS3 software sales also supports that, but in the end this is an estimate by some analyst company.

So you believe that 11m wii's are not active dispite launching around the ps3s launch date and the ps3 only has 6 million that are not active. The 360 on the other hand has about 10m ?

I doubt it. This is just made up statistics and we have no way to find out how valid this si

yes this is actual in use units, it will be too close to call at the moment (within a couple of percent either way)
One thing is certain this is the healthiest generation yet, all 3 companies have sold decent amounts (partly due to longer lifecycle though as well)

@function um thats a prediction unlike this data which are estimates (apples to oranges).

@eastman the wii has shipped/sold quite a bit more 80million vs 45million 6million * 1.77 is pretty close to 11million. we have plenty of examples eg ppl on this site, saying when their 360 RROD going out & buying a new one

Last edited by a moderator:
How would they even estimate in-use units? I could believe PS3 is caught up or catching up to 360 worldwide, but considering we have no idea where they got this data, or if they're trustworthy or reputable, it's probably best to ignore it, as Shifty said.

To be fair, Strategy Analytics have a good track record:

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/16/analyst-sony-to-win-big-in-long-run

Last I heard, worldwide numbers of PS3 and 360s shipped were very close.

Kinect has sold a lot, but the majority were probably to existing owners. I think the new exclusives have helped Sony as they've had a much stronger start to the year - GT5, KZ, LBP, DCUO, MS to come (even if LBP and KZ end up being slow-burners), whereas there's been little from Microsoft.

If we're honest, most people expected this by 2008. Sony has to be disappointed that it's taken so long. At least it looks like being a long generation to recoup money back in software sales, and potentially stretch its lead, but not the extent that this company thought.

The best WW data we have is the shipment data from quater reports. It's not perfect but it's far better than just adding NPD + Jap + Euro numbers from December 2k10 (someone on Gaf did it), Africa, Asia and South America are not included (+ Canada, Mexico, Russia etc.). So for Q3 we had:

Wii - 84.64M
Xbox - 50.9M
PS3 - 47.9M

If Sony shipped more PS3's than MS 360's in Q4 (there was a tie in Q3) than I'm sure Kinect won't stop PS3 to overtake 360 sometime in FY 2011 (maybe Q4) :)

So you believe that 11m wii's are not active dispite launching around the ps3s launch date and the ps3 only has 6 million that are not active. The 360 on the other hand has about 10m ?

Percentage wise that (PS3 and Wii) is pretty close like Zed mentioned. Of course we don't know how accurate that estimate is, but nothing in it makes me think that it couldn't be pretty close to the mark. One year longer on the market + RROD despite the longer warranty vs PS3 could cause that.

It took a long time for MS to make 360 reliable, whereas PS3 while having lot's of problems with the launch units, the period of time where they produced units that failed often were limited (time and units) in comparison.

I actually think active userbase is very interesting and wish more attention was given to it. I'd be very curious to know for example the active userbase for PS2 during its lifetime, how much and when was the peak for example.

yes this is about ACTIVE units (estimated) NOT sold.

sold through 360 is still ahead WW by best estimates.

which is why april fools was called into play based on the thread title being misleading :)

but that won't stop the interwebs from blowing up with "OMG Sony is ahead!" threads

Kinect has sold a lot, but the majority were probably to existing owners.
In December, ~50% of all 360s sold were Kinect bundles.
In January, ~60% of all 360s sold were Kinect bundles.
In February, 66%+ of all 360s sold were Kinect bundles.

Sources:
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/microsofts-xbox-360-kinect-bundles-outsold-move-bundles-by-51/
http://www.examiner.com/console-gam...tselling-playstation-move-titles?render=print
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/kinect-bundles-outsold-ps3-move-bundles-51-in-february/

Last I heard, worldwide numbers of PS3 and 360s shipped were very close.

Kinect has sold a lot, but the majority were probably to existing owners. I think the new exclusives have helped Sony as they've had a much stronger start to the year - GT5, KZ, LBP, DCUO, MS to come (even if LBP and KZ end up being slow-burners), whereas there's been little from Microsoft.

If we're honest, most people expected this by 2008. Sony has to be disappointed that it's taken so long. At least it looks like being a long generation to recoup money back in software sales, and potentially stretch its lead, but not the extent that this company thought.

I wouldn't rule out there being more "active" PS3s out there, I was just having a "lol analysts" moment.

I would, however, question not only the accuracy but the value of any "active install" base number turned out by analysts.

For example, how does a still working 360 weigh in if it's mostly collecting dust in a spare room or being used a media extender because a new slim is now under the telly? What about an actively used but pirate modded 360? What about a PS3 that's only used for BluRay? What about a Wii that only gets used for Wii Sports at Christmas or Wii Fit after Christmas?

Game sales (+ dlc etc) are the really important thing, along with other money earners like network subscriptions and movie rentals. Hardware sales also generate profit (or loss), and can be used to help predict the shape of things to come, but I'm really not sure about the value of these Strategy Analytics figures.

Back