Windows tablets

well broadwell and i'm assuming most of the 13nm chips from intel will be delayed. I wonder how that will affect next years slate of machines.

I may try and get to 2015 at this point with my surface pro and get the skydale or whatever the successor to broadwell is .

internet has been flooded by vaio tap 11 reviews. It seems the cheapest (800 dollar) only use intel pentium 3560Y with HD graphics (no number, no serial).

the next tier is 1000 dollar using i3 with Intel HD 4200.
Between the 800 dollar and 1000 dollar, the cpu clock only different 300MHz.

I know that the GPU will be much faster on i3, but will the cpu performance difference big enough?

i just considering using it for drawing and photo editing in photoshop. And watching 720p videos using SVP (smooth video project).

on my Intel i5 540M, SVP max setting took 50% CPU usage (GPU decoding are running on seperate AMD GPU).
the GPU on the pentium should still be able to decode 720p using DXVA (quick sync unavailabe).

My GPU-Z says the HD4000 at 650MHz does 1.3GPixels/s.
HD4000 has 16 EUs. Baytrail has 4 EUs at about the same clocks (1/4th of the pixel fillrate.. I'm assuming it also has 1/4th of the ROPs?), so 1300/4 is 325MPixels/s.

GPU-Z is wrong. The HD 4000 architecture has 2 Texture Samplers each capable of 4 Texels/s and has total of 4 ROPs. Bay Trail is a quarter of that.

Mini Review of the Asus Transformer T100.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7428/asus-transformer-book-t100-review

Pretty impressive, although I think I'd prefer something closer to 11". They make a good point about the the ease (or lack thereof) of typing on a keyboard matched to a 10.1" screen.

Also, would like a battery in the dock, but at 349 USD, I'm certainly not going to knock it. Would like an active digitizer as well. /sigh. Almost perfect.

Interesting that they compared it to a Chromebook 11. For 50-80 USD more this offers far more power, useability, versatility, and of all things...battery life than the Chromebook 11. I can't imagine why someone would spring for a Chromebook versus just getting this and running Chrome (if that's your thing). Although the Chromebook does have a better keyboard.

Regards,
SB

Yeah. Totally. The cheapest table that have digitizer now only tap 11 vaio ugh and no one review it in Pentium. ALL ON i5

I'm hoping for the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet '3" (or whatever the Bay Trail successor to the Tablet 2 will ultimately be called) should resolve my remaining gripes. And to be sure, my gripe list is still pretty short.

Yeah that 8 inch would be too small :(
I hope sony in my country will display a Pentium tap 11 on their stores and let me runs some benchmark

The 299 USD Lenovo 8" Tablet has an optional pen, IIRC. 8" is entirely way too small for me, however.

Regards,
SB

The only issue with the Lenovo one is that they mean a regular capacitive pen, rather than a digitizer.

The Dell though has a active digitizer, on both the 8 and 11 inch.

if you need a pen , the original pro just got reduced to $700 for the 64 gig and $800 for the 128 gig. That's a solid price for an i5 ivybridge with pen inputs.

Unfortunately Microsoft does not sell surface here.

I have seen Asus tablet and sony tap on my country's fcc certification.

Other brand like dell and lenovo have not seen the certification.

But from certification to release it's usually months apart.

My 3 years old laptop are still good for gaming but only have a few minutes battery left. Will be awesome to replace it with a tablet for on-the-go :D

Sony finally annouce Vaio Tap 11 officially for Indonesia

Available November 2013
- 1000 dollar (supposedly Core i3)
- 1270 dollar (supposedly Core i5)
*tax already included.

I think Vaio tap 11 with Pentium are not announced.

So.... in US, the Vaio tap 11 core i3 also has MSRP of 1000 dollar. But how much when you actually buy it?

I hear that price in US are exclude tax. So when buy, the tax will be added.

back about technology,
manufacturer optimization really affect the battery life, so what can we do as consumer? o_O

i read on anandtech that some devices failed to go to deeper sleep state and it ate battery. The OS version also affect battery life, for example Windows 8.1 ate battery faster than windows 8.

tax in the usa is done by state. For example in New Jersey you pay 7% unless you go to certain cities and pay 3.5% (love that microcenter is in Paterson)

Some states have no sales tax.

I'm still waiting for a good Windows 8 tablet for a portrait use. Like I mentioned before, something with a iPad form factor would be nice. Or maybe a Nexus 7 -style device. Most, if not all, of the current Win 8 tablet are designed for horizontal usage but I much prefer the portrait.

Back