Windows tablets

Thanks eastmen. I recently bought a 2013 Nexus to get in the tablet game. It's nice, but really only useful for content consumption. Ultimately I'm looking for something that I can use to take handwritten notes, so looking for an active digitizer, and something that potentially is a desktop replacement. Surface Pro 2 fits the bill perfectly. But yeah, saw that anand was pretty excited about broadwell so I'm trying to hold it for it.

Surface Pro 2 is pretty darn nice!! Haswell, Power Cover to provide a dramatic increase in battery life, docking station, better screen and speakers. On the shortlist to be my next.

It seems interesting. Will have to wait for the reviews. It's curious that they didn't quote any number in the absolute, like battery life, weight etc.

Let's hope with Broadwell we get 10 hour battery life or a reduced weight.

surface 2 pro, vaio tap 11, and asus transformers book.

when those 3 got reviewed and all price released, it will be a nice evening read :D

Is there a video of the full MS presentation floating about somewhere? What I've read on the net makes me feel the reveal was rather lacklustre (and the lack of activity in this thread would seemingly confirm that), but maybe I'm missing something so I'd really like to watch the whole thing.

Thank you in advance! :)

I'm tempted by the Surface Pro 2. But since it only ships in a month I'm still hoping that someone else announces a tablet with higher resolution, 16:10 or 3:2 aspect ratio, narrower bezel, and substantially less weight. Built-in battery life is overrated, I'd rather have a battery dock.

Is there a video of the full MS presentation floating about somewhere? What I've read on the net makes me feel the reveal was rather lacklustre (and the lack of activity in this thread would seemingly confirm that), but maybe I'm missing something so I'd really like to watch the whole thing.

Thank you in advance! :)

I watched it earlier and thought it was pretty well presented. Not an exciting presentation, but I felt that the passion of the presenter and team in trying to get the product right.

Today was my first time to actually get "hands-on" on the OG Surface Pro at a Best Buy. I couldn't really judge the weight since it had a security apparatus attached. The device is smaller than I would've thought and fairly thick. The Surface RT was pretty thin. Both screens were nice and bright and seemed to have an adequate resolution.

Good news that both 2nd gen iterations will be thinner, lighter, faster and with better screens. I will definitely take a close look at them when they release---no preorder for me, because I want to play with them in person before I purchase.

I watched it earlier and thought it was pretty well presented.
Hopefully it didn't crash on-stage in front of the entire audience and internet like last year... *facepalm* :)

Good news that both 2nd gen iterations will be thinner, lighter, faster and with better screens.
Not "retina" style resolution, though. That's the biggest disappointment with MS tablets right now IMO. Doesn't even the tegra4 have enough grunt to drive a higher than full-HD display at a decent clip...?

Sorry I honestly don't keep track of these that much, but are there any companies making sunlight readable windows tablets now? I am not sure why most consumers don't care about that, but personally the whole idea of mobility appeals to me b/c I can go outside in the sun :LOL:

Wasn't one of the things with their bonded glass panels to increase brightness and contrast which should also make them more useable in direct sunlight than standard LCD panels?

I'll fnd out soon enough. I've decided that if I don't get a Haswell based tablet this winter, I'll get a Baytrail based tablet to replace my old and heavy atom based tablet.

I think I may hold out for Broadwell on the high end tablet + desktop replacement tablet. At which point that will replace an oldish laptop (Core 2 based) and desktop in my household. Replacing 2 devices with 1 device that can serve 3 functions (tablet/laptop/desktop) will be nice.

Regards,
SB

for sun visiility, can we buy additional plastic layer?

some nokia phones have additional plastic layer that make the screen visible on sunlight but resulting in narrower view angle.

for sun visiility, can we buy additional plastic layer?

some nokia phones have additional plastic layer that make the screen visible on sunlight but resulting in narrower view angle.

To get maximum visibility you add a transflective layer in the back of the stack and optically bond the whole shebang.

The transflective layer in back reflects sunlight back out and lets the light from backlight through. Optically bonding gets rid of glare associated with multiple layers. But if you only optically bond it doesn't look as good.

The surface pro I have looks better in the sun than the touch pad , ipad 2 or my older laptop. Its slightly better in the sun than my gf's ipad mini. The are all pretty unusable in the sun

Back