Windows tablets

Comparing Intel SDP vs AMD TDP surely is the right thing to do :LOL:
I noted it for a reason. It matters, but not by a factor of 8. Didn't Intel do that with Clovertrail as well?

Windows 8 with connected standby is only available for 32-bit versions, which is what all Baytrail tablets will use. So no full 4 GB RAM either.
This isn't a permanent decision, is it? Won't 64-bit Win 8.1 have connected standby?

Windows 8 with connected standby is only available for 32-bit versions, which is what all Baytrail tablets will use. So no full 4 GB RAM either.

Windows 8 32 bit supports and in fact requires PAE support in the CPU. So you can have more than 4 GB and use it, but programs will still be limited to a 2 GB address space.

Regards,
SB

And finally we should start seeing some Haswell based Tablet announcements. Here's Asus to start things off...

http://press.asus.com/asus-announces-transformer-book-t300-with-detachable-tablet-display/

It has a claimed battery life of 8 hours for a 13.3 inch dockable tablet (or ultrabook that can also be a tablet). But doesn't mention some rather important things (important to me at least). No mention of a battery in the keyboard dock, bugger. And no mention of digitizer pen support, making this unsuitable for me.

Regards,
SB

You should wait for a Haswell based Helix then, it might be ideal for you if a bit on the pricey side. I love my Helix but a Haswell version would be incredible.

I'm going to try to hold out until at least the end of the year to see what gets offered, unless something REALLY grabs me before then. Like if a 16:10 high PPI tablet with a keyboard dock that has an extra battery and HDD along with digitizer pen support. Not sure anyone will have all of that, however.

That Sony Vaio Flip would be almost perfect if the display was a detachable tablet and the keyboard had another battery and HDD. :) As a whole it would be heavier, but that's fine with me as just the tablet portion would be lighter.

Will be interesting to see what comes out.

Regards,
SB

Surface pro 2 will have haswell and up to 8 gigs of ram. Battery life is pegged at 7 hours and a new touch cover with a battery is planned should add a few hours to the tablet.

The first Baytrail tablet announcement I've seen.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7320/asus-transformer-book-t100-atom-z3740-inside

349 USD and it includes the Keyboard dock. Much cheaper than Clovertrail tablets + docks when they came out.

But notable things not mentioned so I'm assuming aren't included. No battery in the dock and no digitizer pen support.

Still a claimed battery life of 11 hours and only 1.2 pounds for the tablet alone are pretty good. And you have full Windows functionality.

Also...

http://www.dailytech.com/IDF+2013+I...ers+Starting+WIth+99+Tablets/article33362.htm

Shows Windows tablets in the Baytrail tablets for 99 USD section. At 99 USD, I'd be willing to skip a keyboard dock and digitizer pen for a Windows tablet.

Regards,
SB

(...)

Also...

http://www.dailytech.com/IDF+2013+I...ers+Starting+WIth+99+Tablets/article33362.htm

Shows Windows tablets in the Baytrail tablets for 99 USD section. At 99 USD, I'd be willing to skip a keyboard dock and digitizer pen for a Windows tablet.

Regards,
SB

Those will probably feature the slowest dual-core Silvermont and single-channel memory.
Not that it's terrible, but performance should be a long shot from what we've seen in performance previews.

That section of the article says starting at $99, displaying both Android and Windows tablets. I assume the Android tablets start at $99, with Windows tablets probably bring more expensive.

That makes more sense. Microsoft had to be giving Windows 8 for free if the tablet was selling for $99.

The Asus Transformer T100 looks like it packs incredible value, and the tablet part is very light. It's about damn time that Windows tablets started approaching the price of netbooks from 2 years ago. Touchscreen shouldn't add more than $50.

I'm with you, SB. I really hope we see some Baytrail convertible with stylus support.

Starting to get some more interesting announcements.

Baytrail based Dell tablet...

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/tablets/3468349/dell-venue-windows-8-tablet-hands-on/

8" tablet. Less than 400g (0.88 pounds) and a 1920x1080 screen.

Weighing less than 400g, the Venue is comfortable to hold in one hand, and its soft-feel plastic back is much like the new Nexus 7’s. It’s certainly the first Windows 8 tablet we’d say was desirable on a level with the new Nexus 7 or Apple’s iPad mini.

It's also full on Windows 8.1 and not RT.

No other details at the moment. Like price or battery life. Also no word on whether there will be HDMI out (turn it into a low power desktop PC) although there is a covered port that they speculate might be a docking port (although I would imagine "SD" would refer to SD memory card?).

An 8" tablet is too small for my taste, but should be interesting for those seeking a more portable full Windows tablet.

[edit]

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/05/toshiba-encore/

Toshiba's announced 8" Windows 8.1 tablet. A bit heavier at 479g (1.06 pounds), with only a 1280x800 screen.

Also reading more there seems to be conflicting reports of whether the Dell 8" has a 1280x800 or 1920x1080 screen. I'm thinking that PCAdvisor site got the info wrong and that it's probably 1280x800 as well.

Regards,
SB

Oh, those initial specs look nice enough to peak my interest.

And something a bit more interesting...

The Toshiba Click. A dockable 13" tablet.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/05/toshiba-satellite-click-detachable-pc/

One notable thing is that it won't be using an Intel CPU. Instead it'll be using AMD's Temash (A4). The article also mentions this is a fanless design. Interesting.

The keyboard dock includes a second battery. No word on digitizer pen support. And apparently it's using a 500 GB HDD instead of an SSD.

And also we have the HP Split X2...

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/ultraportables/1302274/hp-split-13-x2-review-hands-on

It uses a Core i3 or i5 on the other hand. It also has a battery in the keyboard dock but ups that by also including a second HDD in the dock to pair up with the SSD in the tablet.

But has a disappointing 1366x768 panel. At 13" I was expecting more. Then again pricing on it starts at just 699 USD. Also, no word on digitizer pen support.

I'm expecting a further flood of announcements for upcoming Windows 8.1 tablets. So I'll probably stop posting about them unless it's something I find especially noteworthy.

Regards,
SB

Oh, those initial specs look nice enough to peak my interest.

Yeah, one of the most interesting things about it is the screen resolution of 1280x800. For Windows 8.0 tablets the minimum allowed screen width was 1366 in order to accommodate a 342 width snapped application while leaving 1024 width for the main application.

I'm guessing that requirement has been relaxed in Windows 8.1.

Regards,
SB

the asus transformer t1000 seems will be selling well. Its only 350 dollar and in the box already include free keyboard dock and free office. (according to anand)

the asus transformer t1000 seems will be selling well. Its only 350 dollar and in the box already include free keyboard dock and free office. (according to anand)

Yeah, 349 USD for the 64 GB version and 399 USD for the 128 GB version.

That's where I like what HP is doing with putting a second HDD in the keyboard dock. That way I could keep all my lightweight applications in the tablet portion and save money by getting one with a small SSD while at the same time keeping all my hefty desktop applications in the keyboard dock which I'd probably use for serious work anyway.

Regards,
SB

Surface Pro 2 is pretty darn nice!! Haswell, Power Cover to provide a dramatic increase in battery life, docking station, better screen and speakers. On the shortlist to be my next.

Yeah makes me wonder if surface 1 was throwaway.

Much like the first Xbox? Could be. Torn between this, or a Yoga, or waiting another year for Broadwell refreshes. I'm also hoping the Power Cover keyboard is backlit, though there's no mention of it, so I'm guessing it's not :(.

Well anand said awhile back that broadwell will have another redesigned gpu. So we might see 128 meg cache in the ulv broadwell . That's what I'm waiting on. I have the first surface pro and it is awesome if not the battery life and the temp

Back