Windows tablets

So the more time that passes the more and more I think this will get a haswell chip.

Haswell is a 22nm intel cpu that introduces new power management

seems like others are thinking the same as me

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57486864-92/the-next-chapter-in-the-ultrabook-saga-haswell/

and it seems like intel is working with pc makers to have it ready by april to boost sales.

If you take the 3 months from win 8 launch which is late october it brings you into late January. So is it possible that intel would have a small number (1 million or so) ready in time for a Febuary launch of Surface pro. It puts it about 2 months earlier than other companys

http://legitreviews.com/news/13741/
http://legitreviews.com/news/13682/

In April 2013, Intel will first launch performance- and mainstream-level Haswell processors, and will release Z87 and H87 to replace the existing Z77, Z75 and H77 chipsets. The entry-level H81 chipsets will be released in June 2013 to replace the existing H61 chipset. For enterprise chipsets, Intel will release Q87, Q85 and B85 with Q87 to also support Intel's vPro technology

The first generation Microsoft Surface Pro tablet will use Ivy Bridge. So we won't see Haswell in the Surface Pro until the second generation.

The first generation Microsoft Surface Pro tablet will use Ivy Bridge. So we won't see Haswell in the Surface Pro until the second generation.

we will have to see. I don't believe that MS will launch with ivy bridge when haswell is 3 months out.

Didn't MS themselves said the Surface Pro would have an Ivy Bridge CPU?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2012/jun12/06-18announce.aspx

As far as I know, third gen is Ivy Bridge, while Haswell is 4th gen.

We will have to see what happens. Remember its already been a month since the surface was announced , I doubt Intel would want MS to announce they are getting haswel 3 months earlier than the rest of the partners half a year before the surface pro comes out.

It would make little sense for MS to launch such a huge project and part of thier future two months before haswell comes out. For that matter why would MS be delaying launch for 90 days if they are just going with ivy bridge , where is the advantage or reason for not launching in october ?

Perhaps like most laptops we will see chip options with the lowest configuration coming with ivybridge and the highest coming with haswell .

Samsung teases a new windows 8 notebook which many believe is the series 5 hybrid

http://www.bgr.com/2012/08/27/samsung-windows-8-tablet-laptop-teaser/

Sony Vaio duo 11 leaks

http://pocketnow.com/2012/08/27/exclusive-sony-vaio-duo-11-leak/

back lit keyboard cover

Pocketnow-Vaio-Duo11-3.jpg

we just have to wait and see. I don't like that the sony one doesn't have a detachable keyboard. Ido like thats its back lit

we just have to wait and see. I don't like that the sony one doesn't have a detachable keyboard. Ido like thats its back lit

Yep, the Sony is ugly. Waiting to see exactly what MS, Asus, and Samsung bring to the table. The Asus Transformer Book looks VERY good.

Yep, the Sony is ugly. Waiting to see exactly what MS, Asus, and Samsung bring to the table. The Asus Transformer Book looks VERY good.

I'm worrid about the asus line. The transformer prime was horribly made. I wouldn't even think about the windows 8 verison until a web site spends alot of time with it

I'm worrid about the asus line. The transformer prime was horribly made. I wouldn't even think about the windows 8 verison until a web site spends alot of time with it

Really?? What were the issues?? I've never used one, but everything I've read about it has been positive, save maybe the touchpad.

Really?? What were the issues?? I've never used one, but everything I've read about it has been positive, save maybe the touchpad.

The sd card wouldn't go flush into the system so it would stick out. Wifi was weak , when you used bluetooth wifi became even weaker. GPS didn't work right so they had to give everyone a dongle.

Anand went through 2 bad units before he got a good unit in terms of battery life.

I have the first transformer nad never had any issues , but stayed clear of the second one.

I bought a transformer infinity + keyboard but it's going back. I love the form factor and keyboard, and the quality is good...love the full sized USB and micro hdmi out...but it cannot play videos with bluetooth audio in sync.

While wired headphones are fine, Bluetooth audio has a half second delay in all video player apps which is intolerable. BT audio is key for watching TV episodes while using exercise equipment. My iPad has no such issues so I'll likely just get a keyboard for that now.

The other wifi/Bluetooth issues on these things are a result of both sharing a single antenna.

Last edited by a moderator:
Samsung Ativ smart pc tablet

Engadget hands on with the ativ dock

ATIV hands on with video

The new 10.1-inch slate isn't quite as aggressive as its Android counterpart and centers on a 1,366 x 768 display, a 1.5GHz dual-core processor, a 5MP rear camera paired with a 1.9MP front-facing cam, and ports for micro-HDMI as well as USB. Dimensionally, the tablet is as light and skinny as you'd hope: it weighs 20.1 ounces (570g) and measures a slim 8.9mm thick. The 32GB and 64GB storage options aren't shockers given the extra space Windows and the bundled copy of Office 2013 Home and Student 2013 will demand, but there's a treat for long-haul users in the battery -- it's been upgraded from the 7,000maH pack of the Note 10.1 to an ample 8,200mAh unit.

Samsung series 5 and 7

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/29/samsung-announces-series-5-slate-series-7-slate/

As you can imagine, that difference in processor entails more than just different clock speeds. The two-watt Atom chip inside the Series 5 is rated for about nine hours of battery life, whereas the Core i5-powered Series 7 is expected to last between four and five hours on a charge. (The Series 5 is lighter, too, at 1.65 pounds, compared with 1.89 for the Series 7.) And, being a lower-powered device, the Series 5 has no vents. Last major difference: the Series 7 has a 1080p screen, while the Series 5's resolution tops out at 1,366 x 768.

Both tablets will arrive October 26th, the day Windows 8 starts shipping. The Series 7 will be available in one $1,119 configuration with 4GB of RAM, a 128GB SSD and the keyboard. The Series 5, meanwhile, will cost $649, and will include 2GB of RAM and a 64GB solid-state drive. If you like, you can purchase the keyboard for $99, or you can buy the two as a bundle for $749. We'll be back with reviews in October but until then, check out our walk-through below. (Note: we didn't get a chance to play with AllShare, the S Pen apps or the Hubs, but hopefully we can give you a more detailed demo of the software soon.)

Sony

viao slider

Hands on/

Vaio Tap 20 hands on

Toshiba

U925T ultra book with slide out tablet/

Unreal engine 3 comes to windows RT

How does Samsung plan on competing with the $199 surface with similar specs?

The rumored 199 USD for the Windows Surface is for the WinRT version. No active digitizer and hence no pen. Limited to Metro apps only for your average consumer.

Both Series 5 and Series 7 are Win8 x86/64. Both come with an active digitizer and pen. Limited to any application that will run on Windows. :p

So they are basically going after different demographics with some overlap.

Regards,
SB

Any legit battery tests for either platform yet (RT/Pro)?

no, this is the first time they are being shown to the public , even the surface wasn't allowed to be touched at the surface press event.

We wont see numbers until late october. I wouldn't think that battery life will be diffrent compared to the same hardware running andriod .

Back