Crysis 2 PC edition OT

I wish they had proper AA and not this post crap.

Its because they are using early version of FXAA. New Crytek's game will have FXAA 4 and SMAA support, so there shouldnt be anything that blurs image.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else find the story and the ending for C2 quite lackluster?

Especially compared to the setup of the first one and Warhead.

Crysis and Crysis: Warhead had a story? :D Just kidding.

But I found the story as it unveiled in C2 to be better than the story as it unfolded in Crysis or Warhead. The ending on the other hand is arguably better on the older ones though, but the ending in most games nowdays seem to be lackluster period.

Regards,
SB

The original crysis had a very epic ending (minus the idiotic Contra-like bossfight itself) and I don't get why crytek never followed through on that story and instead did a half-life-2-esque time-jump into a future the player doesn't know anything about and doesn't understand.

Nobody on the planet (apart from that Hargrave guy or whatsisname and some of the higher-upper military people) even seems aware of the events that took place in the original crysis games, with the aliens, the dome shield and all of that, all the death and destruction and so on, and I don't understand how that's possible. Hundreds, if not thousands of US soldiers perished in that event and billions of dollars of equipment was destroyed. Stuff like that isn't something you just hide from the public like that; an entire aircraft carrier was sunk for chrissakes and they're pretty noticeable objects in of themselves... ;)

I think they are probably well aware that there was much loss of military life, however...

They may not know it was due to aliens or alien technology or anything else. The reasons for the deaths would be far easier for a government to suppress or cover up than the actual loss of life and equipment.

Using the above reasoning and moving to New York. If all the common soldiers know about is that there was a massive loss of life which may have occured only weeks or a month or two ago (so even less likely for rumors of aliens to filter down). Then an actual attack on US soil would completely overshadow such. Hence you may not hear about it through random conversations by soldiers who are currently fighting aliens.

Even if you don't follow along that line of thinking. Why would soldiers necessarily focus on a combat situation with aliens at sometime in the past at a distant location over talking about the aliens they are fighting right now on their home soil?

Solders will be focused on what they are fighting here and now in general. It's the higher ups who would be concerned not only with what's happening now but any ties to what happened at that other location.

The biggest plot hole is just the general abscence of flying opponents which is mostly due to having to take into account console users I'd guess.

Regards,
SB

hmmmm.... I liked the end boss in C1 but C2's end set piece is a little lame, I also miss the flying blue dudes, but its sad that they pulled the DLC (so only some people have the darn FY71 which you cant pick up!!!!!!) as i prefer this MP wise to MW3 (Super-Lame port) PC and complements BF3 very well!

I would also like another warhead game to tell the story of nomad and psycho with more "contra" style bosses!!

I started playing this right after the DX11 patch came out, but I played only the first level or so. I continued playing last weekend and finished it yesterday. Nice length in single player and quite enjoyable experience overall. Everything was on ultra expect shadows on extreme, DX11 and high res textures enabled at 1080p. My GTX 570@820mhz core had to work pretty hard in this... I couldn't keep vsync on, because it broke the audio in cutscenes, so had to watch some tearing.

I play on a 100" projector screen and I have to say that these "high res" textures didn't really feel that high res when blown up to that size. I have to say that I wasn't overly impressed with the graphics here, mostly thought it looked ok, but gameplay was quite fun. I did some comparisons between high and ultra and to be honest imo the performance penalty was far bigger than what the visual improvements would have warranted. I'm sure it looks better on a smaller display.

Okay, so I finally picked this one up on sale. Barely played it, but I did fiddle around a bit to see how well it was running. Performance at max everything is okay, around 30-40fps.

So I figure what the hell.. I'll see how bad it is in 3D. Every other game I've tried 3D on effectively cuts the framerate in half, since it has to render everything twice. Makes sense.

So I turn on 3D, and I'm getting... 30-40fps. Zero performance hit. How is that possible? Am I bottlenecking somewhere, that's keeping my maximum framerate down regardless of what I do? That the game really wants to run a lot faster, but something in my setup isn't letting it?

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz
16MB RAM
EVGA GTX465 1GB
Win7 Pro 64-bit

My video card is the weakest part of my system, I know that, but it seems that would have killed the whole thing even worse.

I'm not complaining, mind, I just found it really surprising that I could play in 3D (NVidia 3D Vision), with no performance loss, only on this one game.

The object detail setting is the real killer, especially with the DX11 patch. One extreme example that comes to mind is if I stand near one of the ugly tessellated brick walls my 6950@6970 drops to about 5 fps.

Yeah, it was mentioned in the Crysis 3 thread. Showed up on Steam, literally, the day after I bought it on Origin. le sigh.

So I've been trying to figure out AA in this game and this is what I have so far:

r_UseEdgeAA - does nothing as far as I can tell, supposed to be the Laplace algorithm
r_PostMSAA - inter-frame algorithim that significantly reduces shimmering and aliasing but also introduces significant full-screen blur
r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV - single frame FXAA for more anti-aliasing and more blurring, only effective if r_PostMSAA is also active

Am I right that the only options for this game are ridiculous shimmering or ridiculous blurring? Sigh.....

So I've been trying to figure out AA in this game and this is what I have so far:

r_UseEdgeAA - does nothing as far as I can tell, supposed to be the Laplace algorithm
r_PostMSAA - inter-frame algorithim that significantly reduces shimmering and aliasing but also introduces significant full-screen blur
r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV - single frame FXAA for more anti-aliasing and more blurring, only effective if r_PostMSAA is also active

Am I right that the only options for this game are ridiculous shimmering or ridiculous blurring? Sigh.....

Indeed. I ended up using Downsampling 2880x1620 -> 1920x1080 to help reduce the shimmer and blur!

Back