Crysis 2 PC edition OT

There are some config tweaks that insanely improve the lighting of the previous games, even if it's still less dynamic.

I have not played C2 yet but I have played C1 and Warhead and with the config tweaks the games look staggeringly beautiful. Still a massive amount of aliasing especially in foliage and so on. I would think C2 would look a lot better. In fact I am such a loser that I have not played or bought C2 yet just because I do not have DX 11 hardware and am waiting to upgrade once Nvidia shows what they have so I can make up my mind between ATI and Nvidia.

I have not played C2 yet but I have played C1 and Warhead and with the config tweaks the games look staggeringly beautiful. Still a massive amount of aliasing especially in foliage and so on. I would think C2 would look a lot better. In fact I am such a loser that I have not played or bought C2 yet just because I do not have DX 11 hardware and am waiting to upgrade once Nvidia shows what they have so I can make up my mind between ATI and Nvidia.

Without the high res texture pack and Dx11 patch, C2 is sometimes only marginally better and some would argue worse visually compared to Warhead with massive tweaking. Once you have the texture pack and Dx11, however, there is absolutely no comparison. C2 looks like a true next gen title at that point with few compromises.

Regards,
SB

Well I have obeyed the wishes of the gaming gods and it is indeed glorious, it's a shame ive had to disable eyefinity crysis 2 dx11 @5292x1050 is just too much for my gpu.

ps: how do I delete savegames ? (not all of them)

I suppose I'm going to have to get this game sometime.

Question: Should I finish the first game before beginning the second? How closely are the two stories linked?

Question: Should I finish the first game before beginning the second? How closely are the two stories linked?
You don't really need to play the first game, although the story in C2 is linked to the original plot, there are much enough references throughout the game, so you won't be left clueless. Of course, the original Crysis is a world of it's own -- gameplay and environment, and for most of the people it is a more diverse world. Try it.

I've got the first game, I just never got around to finishing it. FPS isn't my favorite genre, so I only pick the cream of the crop, as it were, and Crysis is... well, it's Crysis.. lol. I just can't sit down and play them for hours on end, so it takes me forever to actually work through one. I've barely started on BF3, and I heard that campaign was pretty short.

Now that I've finished Mafia 2 I have a choice of playing either Assassins Creed Revelations, Lost Planet 2 or Crysis 2. Based on the comments here I guess I want to be holding off playing Crysis 2 until I can enjoy it in its full DX11 glory and since my aging 4890 can only manage DX10, I'll probably play AC for now and save C2 and LP2 until I've upgraded to an NV6xx or ATI 7xxx which will let me max everything out. Hurry up Kepler!!

Will DX11 Crysis2 run on a DX10.1 card or did they straight up require DX11? AVP3 DX11 will run on DX10 cards for example.

Will DX11 Crysis2 run on a DX10.1 card or did they straight up require DX11? AVP3 DX11 will run on DX10 cards for example.

Nope the DX11 stuff doesn't work at all. I can set the game to Ultra but it's missing the DX11 elements. It's also way too slow on my 4890 at those settings.

It's a shame that the DX11 feature level fallback stuff went nowhere. I wouldn't buy a new video card until the new consoles come out and we see what DX version they equate to. Crysis 2 isn't worth an upgrade.

Yes, I'd highly recommend waiting until you have a card capable of running C2 with Dx11 and the high res texture patch. I'm slowly replaying the game now (have other games I haven't yet played that I also want to finish :D) just to enjoy the significantly better graphics.

Regards,
SB

Isn't that more for games written in native DX11 being able to run on DX10 level GPU's without the full effects?

Yes. Basically not having to write seperate Dx10 and Dx11 render paths. You just write a Dx11 render path and in theory you should be able to gracefully fall back to Dx10 or Dx10.1 only features if your card isn't Dx11 capable. I think there's a capability to even fall back to Dx9 level cards. But since many developers still target WinXP you generally still have Dx9 specific render paths.

Regards,
SB

It does seem rare to see DX10/10.1 getting serious attention from the fallback paths.

I've wondered about that too...When DX11 came I got a little excited when reading that the multithreaded rendering and other minor improvements could be carried over to DX10/10.1 hw

DX11 is what DX10.0 was supposed to be (mostly) right in the beginning, probably sans tessellation. DX11 has that convenience to include a whole hierarchy of compatibility right down to the D3D9 feature level in one API -- suffice you target only Vista or 7. That's why developers see little or no reason to put more resources in building for yet another separate API, like D3D10 or 10.1. Since DX11 has all the top features exposed, why not target the easy catch and just use the feature level to toggle the eye candy off for the older hardware. And since WinXP is still a sizable player, pop a separate DX9c build that usually is the main one. That way a developer has to do only to main builds of the code. DX10 and 10.1 hardware got shunned right in the middle and are simply treated as DX9-level accelerators for both XP and Vista/7.

/rant

Without the high res texture pack and Dx11 patch, C2 is sometimes only marginally better and some would argue worse visually compared to Warhead with massive tweaking. Once you have the texture pack and Dx11, however, there is absolutely no comparison. C2 looks like a true next gen title at that point with few compromises.

Regards,
SB

Awesome. I will finish off Revelations in the mean time and keep playing GT5 till I see who reigns supreme in the video card wars and then splurge!

I can't get that to work for some reason. It annoyed the fuck out of me. I'm running a DX11 capable OS, I have a DX10 card, why the hell can't I get one of the few games to support the fallback feature to work? ;_;

Back