Crysis 2 PC edition OT

I had a lot of fun with it. I also think the added verticality of the gameplay more than made up for the smaller environments (which were still large enough to facilitate your own playstyle anyway) I also appreciate when a fps makes good use of the perspective, and I think that's were C2 really excels. I never had the feeling of merely controlling a floating gun. I didn't like the silent protagonist, though, but then I never do. Always feels kinda lazy, especially when the best explanation they managed to come up for it is a hangover.

Yup the vertical nature of the gameplay is reminiscent of Mirror's Edge. There's even some jumping between buildings like in ME.

The silent protagonist feels downright unnatural and stupid in some of the in-game cutscenes when characters are talking at you and you don't answer. It could use some Deus Ex HR-style conversations.

-It's cheesy. Super near-future nanosuit can defeat space-faring alien bio tech. Makes me think of Battle for LA and Independence Day. Crytek goes on and on about how amazing the suit is in this game.
Uh no, its very well explained that
the suit is actually alien technology and alien material with decades worth of additional human research which makes it something that can actually compete and even excel the alien tech. And the aliens never really 'arrived' they were always here and inactive, atleast since the past few millenniums

In my opinion Crysis 2 has one of THE BEST storytelling in any game out there, the story itself is average but the story telling is amazing and how it fully uses the first person perspective is commendable.

It is basically the Half Life school of FPS storytelling. But I think the mute protagonist thing is annoying and it makes me feel like a passive pushover. Gimme Deus Ex / Mass Effect / etc style stuff. But yeah this game is ok.

I wish the game had manual saving. I had it checkpoint as I drove a truck off a cliff. Oh dear. :)

I agree the storytelling (in all of the Crysis games) is great, but the mute protagonist is just fucking dumb. I don't get why game designers go for this nonsense, it was dumb back in '97 with the original HL and it's way dumber now.

Just play in DX9. Not a huge difference. It's still beautiful. The DX11 patch does add some things but you'll probably need side by side screenies to notice.

Crysis 2 on X1950XTX.

High setting, 1280x720. Higher detail presets hit it hard and Ultra was running 5 fps. Phenom II X2 3.7 GHz. Framerate is 20-40 fps. The game didn't recognize the card as supported but it ran fine.

Crysis 2 on X1950XTX.

High setting, 1280x720. Higher detail presets hit it hard and Ultra was running 5 fps. Phenom II X2 3.7 GHz. Framerate is 20-40 fps. The game didn't recognize the card as supported but it ran fine.

That's pretty decent performance. Thanks to it's console routes Crysis 2 is very well optimised at the lower detail settings and horribly optimised at the higher detail settings. I'd be curious to see how it runs on the lowest setting. It should be very playable at that resolution.

Lowest == High in this game. High, Very High, Extreme, Ultra. Quite the perceptual mind game there. ;) On high it is playable to me, 20-40 fps is adequate.

Lots of blur. But some people are nearsighted like that so maybe it is natural for them? ;) It makes sense for the gun config screen though.

havent tried yet

b75d8ff87339a2ec65c84de667dd2f0d.jpg

Crysis(3 maps only) with DX11

http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=308&t=70203

Last edited by a moderator:
The video shows some wierd bioluminscent stuff. I will have to check it out. It's not what I thought though. I thought they were reworking the original maps.

Ok yeah let me completely take back any compliment I gave to that mod. I looked at more of the videos and I think they are modeling another planet maybe? ;) Retinal damage is a certainty.

Has anyone redone a Crysis 1 level in CE3 Sandbox and screenshot the difference?

Just wanted to know how different the lighting would look like between CE2 and CE3 for the same level.
(would they have to manual redo the lighting anyway due to the updated renderer?)

Back