Crysis 2 PC edition OT

Gentlemen, start your conspiracy theories.

Seriously now, they were either extremely näive or purposedly misleading. Näive to think PC gamers would look upon a downgrade (or stagnation) from Crysis 1 as anything other than an affront. We are hot-headed many times which is a very compelling argument for them to either devote more time to the PC version or delay the console versions a month or so. I mean, was it really that important to ship in mid-March instead of late April - other than quarterly earnings and stuff <sigh>?

Misleading because they most likely didn't decide to make this patch/DLC/whatever the day after the game hit shelves. They probably started working on it since receiving the final masters from MS/Sony if not earlier. Yet they only officially announced the DX11 patch more than a month after the game shipped, most likely realising that coming out sooner with this news would have hit their console sales.

Theirs is not an enviable position to be sure but I do think recent history have shown many examples and companies would do well to pay attention to how other companies (mis)handle this issue. It's only going to get worse until the next-gen consoles are released.

In any event, I'm glad I've waited. Probably going to wait until the [strike]Steam[/strike] christmas sales and then play it TWIMTBP.

That shouldn't take long, it's already on Cryengine 2 ;)

my bad i meant cryengine3 and cryengine 3 sdk cheers..

and even dx9 doesnt have tessellation and other stuff it's pretty slower than dx11

Patch 1.8 Extreme Dx9 74 FPS

Patch 1.9 Ultra Dx9 45 FPS

Patch 1.9 Ultra Dx11 53 FPS

full PDF paper inside.
Either the difference between before/after is truly minuscule or they did quite a bad job at choosing the screenshots (or the artists of DX9 version did a really good job). Even on the "hires textures example" the improvement is visible only on big red sign, the improvements in shadowing (and tesselation) truly escape my eyes..

I'm not saying they did nothing on research-programming-content side. It's just that the pdf gives a wtf impression to me.

Good news about DX11 in Crysis 2 is that it cut my framrate in half :smile:!
Together with High Res TP this game looks a lot better, like it should look when released! And that is the bad news ... It would be so much better if Crytek would do their job properly for PC in the first place!

0DDC36DBB62822C056AE23D6305EEF32F3463D10

2A05DBEC228FBC5BB9C6C10C772B9AF147C9E1F4

68359086E77860CA98FC4666648E1D1544F1D1A5

37ECE0CFEA27076B16CBE2C642DA08D1DFE2999E

This is between 20 and 30FPS!! On HD6970 @920MHz! :devilish:
Now I can look forward to next gen GFX cards with anticipation.

PS. I think Cat.11.7 or later will have nice performance boost for C2 DX11.

Either the difference between before/after is truly minuscule or they did quite a bad job at choosing the screenshots (or the artists of DX9 version did a really good job). Even on the "hires textures example" the improvement is visible only on big red sign, the improvements in shadowing (and tesselation) truly escape my eyes..

I'm not saying they did nothing on research-programming-content side. It's just that the pdf gives a wtf impression to me.

Seriously? The differences are pretty obvious to me. I can't wait to get my hands on this. Finally Crysis 2 will look like a PC game and not a good looking console port.

Win 7 x64, cat. 11.6, HD4850 (1 GB). Not cool.

I've got the same problem too, 4850 512mb and XP. I thought at first that my config is messing up with a game, but i deleted it and still has this problem. Also there is strange halo effect on lens that was absent earlier and lighting is a little strange, like slightly different.

Oh well, i wasnt gonna play it till new PC anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the same problem too, 4850 512mb and XP. I thought at first that my config is messing up with a game, but i deleted it and still has this problem. Also there strange echo effect on lens that was absent earlier and lighting is a little strange, like slightly different.

Let's hope for a fix...They probably care more about their newer cards though, one irritating aspect for us owning older series

Has anyone with a DX10/10.1 card seen if they can play in DX10? Am away from home for some time, can't try myself

my bad i meant cryengine3 and cryengine 3 sdk cheers..

and even dx9 doesnt have tessellation and other stuff it's pretty slower than dx11

Patch 1.9 Ultra Dx11 53 FPS

How are you getting better performance in DX11? Tesselation and junk murders performance and I don't see a way to turn the effects off.

edit: oh you just turn down the ultra settings. Still get worse performance than DX9 though..

How are you getting better performance in DX11? Tesselation and junk murders performance and I don't see a way to turn the effects off.

edit: oh you just turn down the ultra settings. Still get worse performance than DX9 though..

The DX11 version includes performance enhancements as well as just graphical additions.

I think I see the issue for me, In DX9 v-sync is a triple buffer, while it's a double buffered in DX11 :\ Without v-sync this scene performs about the same between DX9 and DX11.

Doesn't matter though, I don't really expect the game to be optomised for a 5650m. I have something much more suited for the game coming ;p

Back