Crysis 2 PC edition OT

Of course, they could simply make lower quality assets to save money but then the games would sell even less due to the gamers whining about them not looking as good as the competition.

That only goes for big budget mainstream games. And only because people are superficial.

ND's Crash is also much more harder game than Uncharted, because of the consequences of ridiculous increase in budgets. They need to dumb down the mechanics to appeal to the larger market. Low production values of the past forced game devs to make their games actually difficult. Not to mention the affect it has on the choice of setting, plots and writing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are the costs so much higher today than say 3 or 10 years ago?
How much did Crysis 1 cost to make? 10x or 100x Crysis 2?

Art assets are the reason for the most part. Crysis 1 cost a fraction of C2 because it had very few unique assets in comparison.
Art assets is one. Other thing to consider its what i call the "Hollywodization" of videogames. Let´s make our games like a block buster movie. So a company expends money on getting renowned proffesional actors, musicians, writters, choreographers, music bands, etc to get the "movie feel".

Sometimes with good results so the cost is justified in others... im not so sure. Look at Cryis 2. Having Richard Morgan -going by memory here- as writer and Hanz Zimmer composing some tracks, didn't make much difference story and music wise in comparison to Crysis 1. Direction of cinemas felt a lot better in 2, althoug far from original.

I like when Dev´s get creative. For example, if i remember corectly, Rare generated all the voice samples internally for Conquer and the end result was exellent.

Thinking about the art production costs I was wondering, how much did Capcom spend on the prerendered RE games for the Gamecube? The backgrounds in those games still rape anything else out there and I don't it's only due to them being prerendered, all the assets are of good quality, unique and there's a lot of attention to detail in the scenery, not to mention the art design is pretty good.

city and interior levels are easier to do and less taxing on the hardware
Well i think it depends (maybe im worng), if you don't have the tech the jungle enviroment its hard to pull of. If you do like in Crytek's case, coming up with a good looking jungle level might be easier than rendering a very convincing new york city for example.
Thinking about the art production costs I was wondering, how much did Capcom spend on the prerendered RE games for the Gamecube? The backgrounds in those games still rape anything else out there and I don't it's only due to them being prerendered, all the assets are of good quality, unique and there's a lot of attention to detail in the scenery, not to mention the art design is pretty good.
Maybe Capcom outsourced much of the assets? Looking for a company that specializes in offline cinematic rendering, with a good database of props might have made them things a lot quicker and cheaper.

Well at least that's a possibility.

A static 2D image allows for many shortcuts and cheats, Photoshop work to fix rendering problems, ignoring occluded areas, and so on. Also the 640x480 resolution helps a lot too, a texture in Crysis 2 should hold up even when the player walks up to it with 720p resolution, whereas you always know where the camera is and thus how big the details are going to be when you render a simple still image.

k so I'm on the rare perspective that I never bothered with the Crysis series before, but recently started playing them properly for the first time. Went through Crysis last week, wrapped up Warhead last night, and started on 2 this morning.

And all I can say is.. big big WTF. Are they taking the piss? I feel like I'm in a parody of the first 2 games right now. The sandbox feeling, the controls, even the voice acting seems to have gone to hell. Where the hell is crouch? Right mouse to lean.. but only in spots designated by the game, huh? And what is this use the visor to mark tactical targets but a poor excuse for silly level design, what my suit happens to spot some ledge to grab through 3 walls?

I guess I should've taken the warnings in reviews and on forums to heart. But I'm seeing it with my own eyes and still barely believe how awful it really turned out to be.

Where the hell is crouch?
Eh? You can crouch

Right mouse to lean.. but only in spots designated by the game, huh?
Those designated spots are corners of any wall or object or cover and they are pretty much the only place where people use lean.

And what is this use the visor to mark tactical targets but a poor excuse for silly level design,
Marking isn't necessary and marking was available in the previous two games as well, but poorly implemented.

Eh? You can crouch

But it's more like the prone of the older versions.

Those designated spots are corners of any wall or object or cover and they are pretty much the only place where people use lean.

Well, I'd still prefer being able to lean when I think I want to lean, not twitch reposition the character until the game offers it.

Marking isn't necessary and marking was available in the previous two games as well, but poorly implemented.

It just made me snicker. Hey look here we built a system that highlights how linear our level design is.

What's with the women - chick at lower right doesn't look at the screen not even once, girl at lower left also looks away most of the time, but in the opposite direction... :???:

not sure if people here are still playing (i'am and loving it) but if you are one of thoese who wanted more shiney:p:

Crysis 2 dx11 details via pcgameshardware

http://videos.pcgameshardware.de/hdvideo/2481/Crysis-2-Nvidia-zeigt-erste-DirectX-11-Szenen

mods please delete if old

Nice, i'll get it with my GTX660 (or whatever they'll call it later in the year).

Its a bit weird seeing that displacement/tessellation demo. I hope its not going to be used ONLY for bricks/ground since STALKER and even Dx9 Crysis Hack were able to get decent results years back for similar assets albeit using simpler methods.

Hey but if its(the update) free... cant complain.:smile:

REALTME REFLECTIONS AT LAST YEAH!! XDD

ssr1_off.jpg

ssr1_on.jpg

I forgot... do you guys like the gameplay ? I haven't actually played it. I figure I will wait until they add in this patch and see how that goes.

Back