Crysis 2 PC edition OT

True. Overlooking some nasty bugs which will surely be patched, C2 is a great game in it's own right. It's just as a sequel to the first games that it comes off as a letdown in many ways.

Crysis 1 was far buggier, people seem to forget.

I literally basically couldn't finish it, it's so rife with bugs. Then I run across people saying things like "yeah Crysis doesnt play well with Win 7 64 bit"

Well gee, that's kind of a little bit of a problem, just sayin. Since you know, that's the main operating system for any PC built in the last few years today.

Just funny how everybody seems to have forgotten how buggy and rough C1 was suddenly.

Perhaps because I only played Cry1 after it was patch (and modded with better textures), but I didn't find any substantial bugs (a few graphical glitches only) in single player on W7-64. Nothing like failure to track a major game variable or getting stuck in a dead spot before a cinematic segment. Then there's the multi-gpu flicker issue...

But, you're right in that I never played 1.0.

Please stop this. I guess you haven't seen all my other posts criticizing C2 and that's why you come up with such stupid ideas about agendas and my parentage being of Turkish origin. I'd rather not have any more of this...

Crysis 2 feels kind of "forced" to be linear....
CoD series feels designed to be linear, but crysis 2 feels forced.

example
1. on mission coming to profesor ghoul lab in Pier.
i swim to the other side right next to the Blue Objective and weirdly, the doors are locked.
then i walk around confused just to stumble to the linear entry point for that lab.

why i cant just go inside from the other door? crysis 1 allow this multi-entrance....

2. when on professor ghoul's lab after killing a helicopter, took me long time to understand the way to exit. i though the game broken due to this door leading to roof exit is cant be opened, cant be broken by power-punch.

but then i found the linear exit route after about 15minutes confused.....
the roof exit why is disabled i dont understand.... and that "fake" roof exit is more obvious than the linear exit (thru broken floor).

3. on rooftop mission there many emergency stairs that reachable by sprint then powerjump. But there a invisible wall.....

and many more....
but after meeting the alien more often, the mission changes more linear and the linearity feels more OK. (no fake multi-entry point thats cant be used)

Crysis 2 feels kind of "forced" to be linear....
CoD series feels designed to be linear, but crysis 2 feels forced.

example
1. on mission coming to profesor ghoul lab in Pier.
i swim to the other side right next to the Blue Objective and weirdly, the doors are locked.
then i walk around confused just to stumble to the linear entry point for that lab.

why i cant just go inside from the other door? crysis 1 allow this multi-entrance....

2. when on professor ghoul's lab after killing a helicopter, took me long time to understand the way to exit. i though the game broken due to this door leading to roof exit is cant be opened, cant be broken by power-punch.

but then i found the linear exit route after about 15minutes confused.....
the roof exit why is disabled i dont understand.... and that "fake" roof exit is more obvious than the linear exit (thru broken floor).

3. on rooftop mission there many emergency stairs that reachable by sprint then powerjump. But there a invisible wall.....

and many more....
but after meeting the alien more often, the mission changes more linear and the linearity feels more OK. (no fake multi-entry point thats cant be used)

Hell, I ran out of the office and into the elevator and quit. Restarted the next night and I'm stuck in the elevator with the door closed and no way to open it! Had to sit though the professor's monologue all over again :(

Some of the latest posts seem much more like genuine problems to me.
Keep it like that, people :)

Yeah, I'd love it if Crytek released a 5-15 GB texture pack along with the Dx11 patch. But I'm not holding my breath. At best we'd probably be lucky to get a 1 or 2 GB texture pack that just minorly upgrades some textures.

Regards,
SB

Crysis 2s texture pack is 0.5GB... same as Crysis. 1-2GB texture pack would make a big difference. Also regarding those Crysis 2 lowres textures you can easily find as bad or even worse in C2. Worst thing is when they are placed in the by devs intended play path. Also we cant forget tiled detail mapping is much less used in C2 making for mostly only colormap texture or normal mapped texture. Now I am not saying they would need to make every texture 4096x4096 sized but some a 1Gb texture pack would have gone far and more use of tiled detail mapping. They should have targeted atleast 1GB VRAM graphiccards, not 0.5GB VRAM graphic cards.

Just funny how everybody seems to have forgotten how buggy and rough C1 was suddenly.
I really don't remember too many problems with the game. What I do remember are some crazy performance issues with snow and the end boss fight. I had to drop quality to low to get the end game playable on my 8800GTX. Maybe it crashed occasionally, and the physics of objects might kill me occasionally (super soldier killed by plywood!), but it wasn't exactly a non functional game.

I was very forgiving of quirks because it was obviously the most advanced game in history. And that's not just the visuals either.

Then I remember they stopped working on patches because "it didn't sell well enough". This was really just so they could move onto Warhead, their standalone expansion pack (ala Forged Alliance), and make more money instead of supporting their released product. I would imagine this move was likely an EA maneuver however as the publisher is who pays for patches.

I guess you haven't seen all my other posts criticizing C2...
I've been following this thread since the game came out, and since then I've seen you reacting to criticism of faults in the game as if they were insults directed at your mother. Feel free to link an example to the contrary.

Crysis 1 was far buggier, people seem to forget.
I don't recall the first Crysis having any bugs as ubiquitous and game breaking as the disappearing nano catalyst and the ranked lobbies that never start in Crysis 2. Got any examples?

Last edited by a moderator:
I literally basically couldn't finish it, it's so rife with bugs. Then I run across people saying things like "yeah Crysis doesnt play well with Win 7 64 bit"

Funnily enough I'm replaying it at the moment on Win 7 64 bit and I'm currently on the last level. No crashes as yet though.

I honestly think people are just forgetting how insane this game looked. Admittedly there were areas that weren't so incredible but when it shines I've still seen nothing approach it (I haven't played C2 SP yet though).

The graphics in the aircraft carrier for example are blowing me away at the moment.

Crysis 2s texture pack is 0.5GB... same as Crysis. 1-2GB texture pack would make a big difference. Also regarding those Crysis 2 lowres textures you can easily find as bad or even worse in C2. Worst thing is when they are placed in the by devs intended play path. Also we cant forget tiled detail mapping is much less used in C2 making for mostly only colormap texture or normal mapped texture. Now I am not saying they would need to make every texture 4096x4096 sized but some a 1Gb texture pack would have gone far and more use of tiled detail mapping. They should have targeted atleast 1GB VRAM graphiccards, not 0.5GB VRAM graphic cards.

1 GB texture pack would just be more of the same texture quality we've been stuck with for the past 5+ years almost. I want to see next generation textures that can actually push hardware. Texture quality is arguably one of the biggest areas where game IQ has been virtually stagnant. Even with those Crysis texture packs there were some horribly low quality textures. I believe one of the shots that Nightshade posted was from one of the Crysis 1 texture packs.

I'm hoping BF3 provides a significant advance in this area as they seem pretty up about their version of texture streaming.

I also love how people are comparing vanilla C2 to heavily modded C1. Meh. Perhaps that's why I'm much more impressed with C2's visuals than most (warts and all), as I'm comparing vanilla C2 to vanilla C1.

Regards,
SB

I don't recall the first Crysis having any bugs as ubiquitous and game breaking as the disappearing nano catalyst and the ranked lobbies that never start in Crysis 2. Got any examples?

I'd say a lot of people not being able to finish Crysis 1 due to last level crashing all the time was a pretty huge game breaking bug. There were others, but it's been so long that I can't recall the details.

Regards,
SB

Why does the highest video setting look inferior to very high? It looks blurry. Also, can you dual wield the handguns? I literally spent 95% of my time in the original dual wielding.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/29/crysis-2-technical-analysis/ a good - no... great - technical analysis of Crysis 2's shortcomings. It's quite shocking especially considering they dropped DX12 support!

By the way, Crysis had overall some of the best quality textures in any game ever (warhead was even better). The problem - as Neb pointed out - is that the shadows cancelled out all the details (look at those rocks nightshade posted in the sun or with a light, they'll look much better), a problem which was solved for Crysis 2 with their IBL and improved ssao. Still overall Crysis/Warhead >>>> Crysis 2 in the texture department.

Is this Beyond3d forum?

C2 is faster because they rewrote the better part of the engine, and because there was a lot of performance to gain by this, as C1 wasn't exactly a well optimized game.

C2 is faster because it has completely different environment.

C1 flora will destroy fps in every game. And that's a fact. C1 has better physics, POM, more opened levels, more realistic lighting..., and better textures.

And yet, Nightshade showed textures from Crysis 1 that were far far FAR worse than anything in Crysis 2. Textures of objects and places that aren't even all that uncommon to run across.

Hence the comments that consistency is better overall in Crysis 2. In other words, Crysis 1 at times in some spots has better textures, and at other times in other spots has worse textures.

Regards,
SB

Really!? This is from Crysis 2.

crysis22011032515380796.jpg

I also love how people are comparing vanilla C2 to heavily modded C1. Meh. Perhaps that's why I'm much more impressed with C2's visuals than most (warts and all), as I'm comparing vanilla C2 to vanilla C1.

Regards,
SB

Personally I'm comparing to my current experience of playing Crysis 1 at stock very high.

Although I'm only looking at the screenshots of C2 and the in game MP so I'lll withhold final judgement until I've played the full game.

Dat debris!

The brown bottle actually looks like a used brown condom. XXXL. :feelsgoodman:

Yeah, saw that one while playing through the game, and quite a few that were nearly as ugly. I highly doubt they created such textures at such crappy resolutions, and rather figure they downsampled them for the consoles and then just gave us the same stuff to keep the game down to one disk. That texture and quite a few others look like they were intended to be used with POM or tessellation, but I'm guessing they had to ditch such effects on consoles it to keep the framerate up, and again just gave us the same crap.

Back