Crysis 2 PC edition OT

Crysis 2 works faster because it is less demanding.

That's it.

Utterly false armchair statement. I can have cvars set to values, polys rendered and yet be at 25-30fps whereas in Crysis in a limited size map that would cripple perfomance far more with worse visual results due to inferior and lacking tech in comparision to CE3/C2.

Texture size in itself is an irrelevant piece of information, because I can UV map a 1 meter x 1 meter piece of floor tiles to have anything from 32x32 to 2048x2048 textures; or I can use a 2048x2048 texture on anything from 1cm x 1cm to 1km x 1km in size. A decisive metric would be texel density, like, 1 texel per 1 cm, or 1 texel per 1 inch, 4 inch, or so.

Just because one game has 1K textures only and another has 2K as well, you still can't draw any conclusions about how detailed their textures actually are.

Also note that this has nothing to do with how good C1 or C2 looks - according to anyone's personal opinion.

C2 is faster because they rewrote the better part of the engine, and because there was a lot of performance to gain by this, as C1 wasn't exactly a well optimized game.

But main problem with C2 is the lack of tiled detail mapping. It uses it and textures getting it look really great but others just look bad once you get close to them. It's used to little. It's a shame considering C2 peaks at 600MB VRAM "extreme" 1920x1080. These days 1.3-2GB VRAM aint really rare and 1GB VRAM is standard.

Texture size in itself is an irrelevant piece of information...
Your UV mapping argument is irrelevant in light of the fact that they using the same textures at the same scale, just a quarter of the resolution of what they were in Crysis. Did you not even look at the comparison shots Ancient linked?

Kyle, as far as I know it was a mod, putting C1 textures into C2. It is in no way a fair comparision, and even if it was it'd still only be about the ground at a certain place on a certain level.

Only if you want to spend most of your time looking at the ground instead of fighting aliens and commando units...

What? Why does a place like Beyond3D even exist if that's how we should think?

Kyle, as far as I know it was a mod, putting C1 textures into C2. It is in no way a fair comparision, and even if it was it'd still only be about the ground at a certain place on a certain level.

It is the exact same texture, and the texture from Crysis 1 is much better. There is nothing subjective about it.

It is the exact same texture, and the texture from Crysis 1 is much better. There is nothing subjective about it.

And yet, Nightshade showed textures from Crysis 1 that were far far FAR worse than anything in Crysis 2. Textures of objects and places that aren't even all that uncommon to run across.

Hence the comments that consistency is better overall in Crysis 2. In other words, Crysis 1 at times in some spots has better textures, and at other times in other spots has worse textures.

Regards,
SB

Crysis had very inconsistent texture quality so any direct comparison is difficult.

However, it is quite frustrating that CryTek didn't see fit to include higher resolution textures in the PC version.

When lighting etc. being so good, it is the sometimes quite poor textures that end up setting the 'limit' of the graphica impression.

I also find it a little strange that options to use Edge-AA, MSAA etc. wasn't included in the in-game options. Many people, myself included, prefer the more 'clean' look over the 'vaseline' look.

The main argument I have is that the comparision that guy posted is completely useless. He simply has an agenda to prove and it's quite obvious as well.

Crysis had very inconsistent texture quality so any direct comparison is difficult.

However, it is quite frustrating that CryTek didn't see fit to include higher resolution textures in the PC version.

When lighting etc. being so good, it is the sometimes quite poor textures that end up setting the 'limit' of the graphica impression.

I also find it a little strange that options to use Edge-AA, MSAA etc. wasn't included in the in-game options. Many people, myself included, prefer the more 'clean' look over the 'vaseline' look.

Yeah, I'd love it if Crytek released a 5-15 GB texture pack along with the Dx11 patch. But I'm not holding my breath. At best we'd probably be lucky to get a 1 or 2 GB texture pack that just minorly upgrades some textures.

Regards,
SB

The main argument I have is that the comparision that guy posted is completely useless. He simply has an agenda to prove and it's quite obvious as well.
The comparison exemplifies the fact that the 1024x1024 version of the texture from the first Crysis looks far sharper and less pixelated in Crysis 2 than the 512x512 version of the texture that came with Crysis 2. Granted, such facts are obviously useless your agenda of defending all the ways in which Crysis 2 is graphically a step backwards from the previous games, but the fact remains regardless.

I had another bash at it last night, played for aboutr 20 minutes, killed 2 guys and then got killed, still not getting into the swing of it. I stopped playing because I couldn't be bothered starting from scratch again, I miss my crack addiction to F5.

The colours and lighting are still a bit strange to my eyes, too much colour, lighting odd.

I am going to have a few beers tonight and try again.

Only if you want to spend most of your time looking at the ground instead of fighting aliens and commando units...

HERETIC!!
He uses the incantation of all those who glorify no AA an no AF and lower resolutions!
...I'm beginning to think he might be of the console tribe...;)

Back