Gorgeous RPG Bastion has been confirmed for consoles

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
The company Supergiant Games is teaming up with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment to publish Bastion, a very beautiful game, which will also be available as a PC download later this year. The game will come out this year, although they did not specify a price.

Bastion is an action RPG that takes place in a cartoon world with an isometric perspective, taking influences from games like Diablo 2. An omnipresent narrator will describe everything you do, adding flavourful as you hack and slash around the map.

Supergiant seem to be a very talented group of developers, and they are composed of a tiny team of six developers, some formerly from Electronic Arts.

The graphics look really beautiful. Here are some pics:

ss_preview_Bastion_092010_00011.jpg.jpg

ss_preview_Bastion_092010_00021.jpg.jpg

ss_preview_Bastion_092010_00051.jpg.jpg

ss_preview_Bastion_092010_00061.jpg.jpg

:oops:

ss_preview_Bastion_092010_00071.jpg.jpg

This last pic makes me realize how powerful and wonderful current consoles are with their 32 bit colour palette.

One of my favourite games of the SNES was The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse. It really made a deep impression on me with its colourful graphics back in the day. It was in my top 5 of the SNES because it was fun and had vibrant colours -for a SNES anyway-. But those consoles were very limited despite the right use of tonalities and on the SNES I hadn't since seen a similar game with such a rich palette.

Much to my delight, there are still games where the designers are going for the romantic colourful look. So, yeah, thanks. I will buy it day one, I think.

News here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-03-pretty-action-rpg-bastion-revealed

WoWzieee ! What a beautiful look :cool: ! These days I prefer happy games to the grim scenarios !Time changes, mind changes, likes and dislikes change !

It's out on XBLA now, and I tried the demo and after playing a fair while (the demo is pretty big) I went ahead and bought it. Very charming, and reviews have been very good. Some mention that the combat is a little meh, which is fair, but being average the presentation of this game is so awesome and the mechanics certainly don't get in the way of the experience. So yeah, awesome game and I highly recommend it.

It's out on XBLA now, and I tried the demo and after playing a fair while (the demo is pretty big) I went ahead and bought it. Very charming, and reviews have been very good. Some mention that the combat is a little meh, which is fair, but being average the presentation of this game is so awesome and the mechanics certainly don't get in the way of the experience. So yeah, awesome game and I highly recommend it.

Kinda agree on the combat only roll and 5 attacks or something.

I played the demo and then bought it last night. It's a fun game, it's very pretty and rather old school.

I haven't played a game like it since the old NES or SNES. So it's a refreshing change from what I've been playing.

Just fugged around with the demo and the narrator idea is kind of brilliant. Especially because of the voice they use. :eek:

Such creativity possible in these downloadable games.

You know people complain about games being too expensive nowdays but they're crazy. The $60 games are in general deeper than ever, but beyond that a game like Bastion is probably SNES level of complexity (at least)+more detailed graphics by far, for $15 instead of $70 like back then.

I tried the demo last night after a suggestion from Rancid. Very pretty & very well done. Agree with the excellent voice over work. Unfortunately at $15 I'm going to pass since it's really not my kind of game. It's definitely something I might pick up on sale, but by then I'll probably found something else. BTW, you can get The Maw for free if you purchase Bastion from the Microsoft Store...

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...U0zFKk-jWwy3YL7kyqN__drrcRx4A&?id=ZXD82RCLrLM

Another thing I will say it's great that Microsoft is still doing these Summer of Arcade promotions. The quality is excellent & they are still offering deals if you purchase all the content. This year if you get all the Summer of Arcade titles you get Crimson Alliance. That title looks like a Gauntlet game. I might just buy it separately.

Tommy McClain

Back