[multi] Hawken - A Mecha UE3 Game

I think the title won't deliver as much as it could or people expect (just guessing on my part but there's already some evidence of it), and not because they'r a small indie team, but how they'r already showing footage of the game being played with awfull accuracy wich leads me to think they used some type of console controller (I guess it could be a joystick...but still..), meaning the platform they'll likely focus more on (and not on a technical level, but gameplay) are the consoles. Wich will mean controls and gameplay tailored for those platforms, while PC once again gets some basic port with "achievements"/unlocks/medals, useless [strike]garbage[/strike] content, probably not even dedicated server, yeay...

Shame because the overal art/theme and the sound of that airship @1:35 gives some great ambience and immersion (reminded me of the District 9 scene). I hope the PC will at least have dedicated servers with large scale battles (32-64+) players would be awesome, but probably won't get past 32, dare say even 16...Dam you consoles!

I hope im wrong about it

I think the title won't deliver as much as it could or people expect (just guessing on my part but there's already some evidence of it), and not because they'r a small indie team, but how they'r already showing footage of the game being played with awfull accuracy wich leads me to think they used some type of console controller (I guess it could be a joystick...but still..), meaning the platform they'll likely focus more on (and not on a technical level, but gameplay) are the consoles. Wich will mean controls and gameplay tailored for those platforms, while PC once again gets some basic port with "achievements"/unlocks/medals, useless [strike]garbage[/strike] content, probably not even dedicated server, yeay...

Shame because the overal art/theme and the sound of that airship @1:35 gives some great ambience and immersion (reminded me of the District 9 scene). I hope the PC will at least have dedicated servers with large scale battles (32-64+) players would be awesome, but probably won't get past 32, dare say even 16...Dam you consoles!

I hope im wrong about it

I dunno why people equate more people playing with more fun - in practice it's too chaotic with 64 players unless you have huge Battlefield style maps.

Because it adds more variables on how to aproach the gameplay execution. Yes large maps is a must, so what? Are we going to stay in forever in small constrained blocks/areas with the same routes to success/fun? Look at minecraft. Multiplayer in that neat game with 16 player limit or less its dull, there's less on-going, originality suffers, teamwork suffers, co-operation suffers, and it affects the entertainment/enjoyment/fun of the game.
Time to step foward i say. PC's have the memory(for big maps) and although upload bandwidth may be a factor in some cases, overall i think they can cope with it nowadays.

Higher amount of players will add diversity and complexity. Each person can decide to go solo, small team or persuit a combine effort among small teams, where if one encounters troubles, others can have the choice to either join the effort or fall back and re-assess. Having a very small environment and limited players will limit and add to repetition to the game tactics or originality.

Chaos(not implying constant chaos) will keep players engaged, on their toes but doesn't necessarily mean it will force them to always be on quick thinking, sometimes it requires stepping back and take a complete new aproach to that aparent chaos, and if successfull leading to satisfying (maybe drastic) changes, if not, re-think and adapt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back