Earthquake/Tsunami in Japan

Yeah, can't get in touch with anyone there. I'm guessing the phones are down around the Tokyo area. My mother lives far enough inland that I don't think she has to worry about the tsunami, but the earthquake could have caused some damage.

Likewise all my relatives in Hawai'i and Taiwan.

Regards,
SB

euuDZ.jpg

0jaYo.jpg

46048785.jpg

58557485.jpg

GtPS2.jpg

The aerial footage shown on the BBC is pretty scary. You can see the wave sweeping inland through communities with cars trying unsuccessfully to avoid it.

I know the Japanese have pretty good tsunami warning systems but this is reputedly the largest recorded earthquake in the country and it appears that a lot of people will be killed from it.

Good luck to many of the other islands in the Pacific who will be hit, too. I hope the warnings have gone out well.

Yeah, can't get in touch with anyone there. I'm guessing the phones are down around the Tokyo area. My mother lives far enough inland that I don't think she has to worry about the tsunami, but the earthquake could have caused some damage.

Likewise all my relatives in Hawai'i and Taiwan.

Regards,
SB

Try email. My friend she can still get online in Tokyo. Though Tokyo doesn't really have any big problems. Just power outage and no phones but nothing really bad it seems.

It also seems one of the nuclear powerplants has cooling problems so the government now also given out a nuclear reactor alarm.

Come to think of it, I'm lucky/happy to have changes my plans at the last moment otherwise I might have been in Tokyo at right this moment.

Hopefully due to past experiences they can deal with the mayhem better than most. 8.9 is a huge earthquake.

Terribly upset about Japan and hope the loss of life is kept to a minimum, but right now I'm worried about my bro and his family in Hawaii. :(

My bro is in the civil service and is on some tsunami thingy, so he should be getting me some interesting updates again later. (He gets to stay in the command bunker so his internet doesn't generally go down and he posts about it over at EB)

More aftershocks just hit, around 5.5 on the richter scale.
Some of the live footage on the BBC website is truly scary.
Many have lost their lives in Sendai. Very sad news indeed.

An old friend of mine in Tokyo has been updating her Facebook regularly, didn't have any real issues, but said that where her mother is (Miyagi I think) it was much worse, though that her mother is alright because she has good supplies.

the funny thing is I just finished watching the film '2012' + then see this event on the bbc website :)
apparently waves 1-3 meters (though that seems a bit too high) are expected here. I dont know if I should go to look, the last ~5x Ive gone to look when a tsunami has been warned I never saw anything :(
I might as well go 11:06am its predicted

Now a 6.6 quake hit Tokyo. Also a 290km long a 80km wide gap opend up because of the quake. Don't know if its on the surface but if it is that's gotta be one of the most scary looking things ever. You could fit half my country in that!

the funny thing is I just finished watching the film '2012' + then see this event on the bbc website :)
apparently waves 1-3 meters (though that seems a bit too high) are expected here. I dont know if I should go to look, the last ~5x Ive gone to look when a tsunami has been warned I never saw anything :(
I might as well go 11:06am its predicted
It was reported at 40-50cm when it hit Canada. I wouldn't expect much.

yeah they usually greatly exaggerate them, which is very dangerous cause a lot of ppl will be thinking well the last 30 times the waves were nowhere near the size of the predictions, so why not this time also. Sure you need to er on the side of caution but still. We'll see how the nuclear reactors hold up, apparently theres been some leaks.

yeah they usually greatly exaggerate them, which is very dangerous cause a lot of ppl will be thinking well the last 30 times the waves were nowhere near the size of the predictions, so why not this time also. Sure you need to er on the side of caution but still. We'll see how the nuclear reactors hold up, apparently theres been some leaks.

I don't know about leaks, but it was reported that there was a fire in one but apparently in a non-essential area. And there was a diesel cooling system that failed when the plant was shut down, but apparently that problem was fixed.

I'm sure if there was a leak they wouldn't say, but I haven't seen any workers running around on the news with black badges.

I get the feeling the true extent of the disaster will not become apparent to tomorrow. It seemed that one town of 74 000 people was largely on fire.

Back