Any ideas on when Directx 9.1 is expected?

Why would there be a DX9.1?

VS/PS 3.0 is already in DX9.0. Any minor bits of functionality/bug fixes can be taken care of with a "letter" release, like how DX9.0a fixed the problems with MSAA in buffers other than the framebuffer.

Dave way back in Feb this year I seem to remember there was alot of talk about DX9.1 coming out in Sept this year. I wasn't aware VS3.0 and PS3.0 were already provided within DX9.0b - so I had assumed that 9.1 is still on the cards - especially as IHVs are now postulating their latest cards may be DX9.1 compliant. If it doesn't exist how can the manufacturers (esp NVidia) be saying their cards are compliant?

Anonymous said:
Dave way back in Feb this year I seem to remember there was alot of talk about DX9.1 coming out in Sept this year. I wasn't aware VS3.0 and PS3.0 were already provided within DX9.0b - so I had assumed that 9.1 is still on the cards - especially as IHVs are now postulating their latest cards may be DX9.1 compliant. If it doesn't exist how can the manufacturers (esp NVidia) be saying their cards are compliant?

Because PS/VS 2.0 is the minimum level for compliance.

Compliance doesn't imply a card supports everything in the API, just a minimum subset. Just like R3x0 doesn't implement PS/VS 2.0x, but is DX9 compliant. And NV3x doesn't implement MRTs but is DX9 compliant.

Dave H said:
Why would there be a DX9.1?

VS/PS 3.0 is already in DX9.0. Any minor bits of functionality/bug fixes can be taken care of with a "letter" release, like how DX9.0a fixed the problems with MSAA in buffers other than the framebuffer.

Expose the F-Buffer in DX?

So does no one know from a good Microsoft contact if there definitely is or isn't a 9.1 release and if there is when approximately its expected and what it would deliver?

I see reasoned arguments on both sides of yes/no - but is there nothing from the source?

Anonymous said:

PS and VS 3.0 were already included in DX9.0, they didn't come with 9.0b

I would say the one thing that could yield additional DX releases is MS's recent support of managed DirectX. If that doesn't ring a bell, it's basically an efficient COM wrapper for DirectX that can be used in .NET.

Quite frankly, I have been extremely impressed with it, save one major issue: there's virtually _zero_ documentation for it. They have documentation, but it's really pathetic...which is really unusual given their track record. To put it into perspective, suppose some API function has some generic "flag" parameter. I'm talking like _no_ intellisense...no MSDN documentation defining the available flag values.

At any rate, I see this as being something that could potentially warrant updates in the near future.

Anonymous said:
Dave way back in Feb this year I seem to remember there was alot of talk about DX9.1 coming out in Sept this year.

The "summer update" came out recently. It includes significant changes to D3DX, but not to the D3D core.

Maybe NVidia and Microsoft might offer a new HLSL optimiser in their DX9 pixel shading compiler for NV3x and this might be called DX9.1 - the NVidia fix :)

Together with new drivers it might allow for much better shader code optimisation for their NV3x cards.

Dave H said:
Compliance doesn't imply a card supports everything in the API, just a minimum subset. Just like R3x0 doesn't implement PS/VS 2.0x, but is DX9 compliant. And NV3x doesn't implement MRTs but is DX9 compliant.

Err, I was wondering.. doesn't the lack of MRTs mean NV3x is only DX9 compatible instead of compliant? Or is this feature not necessary to claim compliance? Does anyone know the minimum subset for compliance?

Oh, and what is it the R3x0 is missing exactly? Is PS/VS 2.0x something other than regular 2.0 - which it ought to support - and is that 2.0x defined in the DX9 spec? Does Nvidia support it?

Thanks

Back