Underworld

pax

Newcomer
Not bad at all... 3 out of 5. Bit weak in the effects and action scenes (small budget at 20 million). Acting good. Theres a backdrop I want to find out more about. Good script and bit smarter than most vamp flicks. Blade had better action but see this and listen carefully... its pretty interesting...

Dunno where AICN got so much negative vibes from... its nowhere as bad as QOTD which didnt get nearly this much bad press and word of mouth.

This flic has been anally raped and tortured by the critics. Even Harry Knowles and crew have been ripping it to shreds. And if White Wolf doesn't win their suit against the filmmakers, I'll be quite surpised.

Roeper liked it... But yeah rotten tomatoes isnt getting a good showing... I usually agree with critics general issues with flics but I think they overstated here.

I thought it was pretty awesome. It wasn't really an action flic (thank god), so obviously they're not going to go overboard with explosions and such. The digital grading was done nicely, if a bit overdone, but overall I enjoyed the movie more than so than any other movie out this year (or last year, as far as I can remember) and certainly better than the Blades, but then that's not a difficult accomplishment.

Also, the White Wolf lawsuit is complete BS IMO

[edit]This nicely sums it up:
20030908l.jpg

Vampire and werewolf lore dates back thousands of years and they say Sony ripped THEM off?

I couldn't stand the movie, and I generally like anything with Vampires in it ;)

Actually, I feel asleep in the middle of it.. which is a first for me.

For one the story line in underworld is ripped off from the card games. Only names were change.

This movie wasn't to bad but it wasn't the best. The only bad acting was the tratior vampire. That was really bad acting. I was on a date and the date didn't go well she kept complaining about how dumb the movie was (she wanted to see it) So tonight I went to see anything else (new woody allen) with my sisters friend. Great movie. Turned out to be a great date. To bad my sister is going to kill me .

For a quality actress her film portfolio is very erratic, IMO. I always think she's on best form in talk shows etc, being utterly charming, gorgeous and possesing a superb, very British sense of humour. :LOL:

I'm sure it's a script choices thing... she obviously can't pick 'em, or is far too lovely to fire her agent. :-\

MuFu.

I thought underworld was fantastic, Kate Beckinsale was (as usual) stunningly good looking and the guy who played Viktor certainly brought the part together.

Bizarre thing is I was sittingly only a couple of seats away from Anthony Stewart Head. :oops:

Anthony Stewart Head?

Underworld was all right. The story was good but the execution sucked on the production side of things. The movie needed a larger budget so they could have better fight scenes. The gun fights were also rather crappy, no one could aim.

Saem said:
The gun fights were also rather crappy, no one could aim.

Oddly enough, Blade was on TV the other night and I watched it again. The gun fights in this were pretty typical - he shoots about 20 of the "bad guys" without even one of them getting a shot off.

My other favourite in the movies is when the hero/heroine is running away across a metal walkway whilst under fire - in "The 6th Day" which was on TV recently. The accuracy of the shooting is such that the baddies hit nothing but the walkway - quite incredible accuracy, being able to hit thin strips of metal repeatedly yet missing the large bulk of Arnie running in slo-mo.

The story is ripped from the card games? What do you mean? It's basically Romeo&Juliet except both main characters don't die at the end. From what I gather, WhiteWolf is suing them because their movie is very similar to one of their short story(that is out of print)..... not only that, but it seems that the short story was copyrighted this year, isn't that suspicious? Then again, the writers of Underworld admitted they knew about White Wolf, but they never seen their short story(I think it was called A Love between Monsters or something).

I happen to enjoy the movie very much.

Back