[GDC 2011] Unreal Technology Demo

fellix

Veteran

:oops:

One of the comments says it was rendered in real-time on a system with 3-way SLi GTX580 configuration.

That looks pretty sick. UE3 with DX11 and lighting turned up a couple notches. Wonder if this has anything to do with UE4 or is it just them messing around.

That looks pretty sick. UE3 with DX11 and lighting turned up a couple notches. Wonder if this has anything to do with UE4 or is it just them messing around.

It's just the newest updated DX11 version of UE3.X and is already available to companies who license the engine.

Does NVIDIA scale well to triple SLI now?

Video looks great but of course most of it is completely dark. What can they do with a game in which you can actually SEE things! ;)

This reminds me of that old UE3 demo back before we knew what Gears of War was and we were all stunned by the cool gothic environment. And then we got to see how UE3 actually would make most of its licensees' games look all waxy and lumpy. Maybe we can move past that now and get some anti-aliasing too.

Next gen consoles won't have the power of a triple SLI 580. Not unless they launch in 2014.

But Epic said this demo could probably run on a single 580 given proper optimisations (which it would recieve on consoles). So if true, this level of graphics cold be achievable on next gen consoles even if they launched next year with medium-high equivilent of PC technology.

Yeah I'm sure the next consoles will handle it fine. I can't wait to read about what they put into them. But I don't see them being triple GTX 580 territory because of the bandwidth and power usage that would entail in the short term.

It'll be interesting to see how big the next power bricks are. ;)

And then we got to see how UE3 actually would make most of its licensees' games look all waxy and lumpy. Maybe we can move past that now and get some anti-aliasing too.

Is it Epic's fault that other studios don't significantly alter their material shaders or lighting model? :p

But I don't see them being triple GTX 580 territory because of the bandwidth and power usage that would entail in the short term.

Most of that power would be needed for 2560*1920 resolutions and 4x-8x FSAA, none of which would be present in next gen consoles. I'd expect 1920x1080 with some kind of the currently developed post process AA solutions that also use oversampled Z and maybe depth/normal data.

Based on the presentation, they're doing quite more then we've initially thought.
Also, the features are clearly developed with a specific art direction in mind (billboard reflections, point light reflections etc) so they're evidently already working on a game with such a setting.

Back