iPad 2

This is bizarre. Apple "enforces" no such thing, in fact they promote internet connection sharing in software and marketing both. Put the blame where it belongs. You can choose carrier and plan. Do it.

ISP/Carriers want to milk their customers. This is understandable.

There is one large ISP in Finland that only offers unlimited data plans. Apple approached them and wanted them to offer a gapped plan for Ipad, the ISP refused saying that it rips of the customer, Apple only promotes their competition at their website now.

That is a fact. I'd google translate the article for you, but our language doesn't work very well with it.

Here's the original
http://www.digitoday.fi/data/2011/03/25/elisa-kieltaytyi-ipadin-datakatosta/20114242/66

Some translations by me

"Apple has specified terms for the international plans, in these terms there is among other things a demand to have a data gap"
"Elisa group and its ISP Saunalahti refused to offer data plan that has a gap"
"For us it would have meant weakening our mobile data plan"
"Elisas' unwillingness to co-operate has been seen in Apples marketing. Apple advertises in their web store how Ipad only works in the network of Elisa's biggest competitors"

Elisas' logo is missing from the Apple site and the only reason for that is the fact that they didn't want to offer worse data plans than they do today.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a long time thumb keyboarder, I am much faster on my iPad. I basically put it in landscape and hover over with a pseudo touch/peck type.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't use my thumbs (well other than the space). I use my fingers. It's not touch-typing because my pinkies are less involved (owing to the tightness of the keyboard). If anything it'd be easier with a larger keyboard. Portrait typing is a pain.

How are you physically holding the tablet and doing this "pseduo touch type" at the same time?

I'm not. Right now it's on my lap held at an angle by the case I bought. If I were walking about it would be a pain so I would rather use my phone. Most of my walking email is in airports with a roller bag so I go single-hand thumb-boarding for that.

I hate thumbing. I only use it on devices which have small, "stubborn" keys, like one of those old Blackberries. Something as light to the touch as the iPhone or iPad I simply 10-finger type by putting it on my lap, or I five/six finger type on it while holding it with one hand and typing with all fingers of my other hand.

Something as light to the touch as the iPhone or iPad I simply 10-finger type by putting it on my lap...

I'm not. Right now it's on my lap...

Got it...that's what I assumed (I was trying to see if I was missing some other physical way to hold these things other than the obivious...)

For me personally, I want to be able to type comfortably while holding the tablet like a book. This essentially means thumbing. I don't expect that one can thumb faster then "pseudo touch" typing...but I don't expect to be as productive on a tablet as on a lap-top either. I do expect to be more productive on a tablet than on a smart-phone of course.

In other words, for your (Mize's) use...you say "If I'm walking about I'll use a smartphone." For me, I say "if I'm going to be putting it in my lap, I'll use a lap-top."

I want to use my tablet while walking about, or while sitting down or in bed holding it like a book. The tablet would be used for media consumption, internet and e-reading, email (reading and composing) and message board posting.

So for me, a 7 inch form factor is what I'm gravitating toward. Possibly a 10" if there is a decent thumbing solution (like that Android app). Though 10" is a bit more limiting in terms of portability.

So I'm awating the Playbook, and I also believe over the next few months some Honeycomb tablets in a 7" form factor are supposed to emerge. (Acer? Asus?).

Ultimately, for me I think that I'd really want a 10" tablet to be a notebook relacement...which really means that it would have to be windows based.

I didn't know about Forum Runner.

But a lot of forums have put out their own apps. too.

I know. I also use Tapatalk for two other forums, but I don't post nearly as much anywhere else, so ForumRunner is probably the most used App on my iPhone. ;)

@Joe: I also always use just one hand while reading a book as well. ;)

Seems I'm not the only one who has issues with type input on tablets:

AnandTech Requesting Solutions to "Input Problem"

AnandTech said:
Tablets on the other hand need to be propped up against something and as a result are harder to type on in certain situations. They work fine on a desk but if I'm at a desk I'd rather use a notebook. What about when laying back on a couch?

My thoughts exactly. My solution...a smaller tablet and Thumb it. ;)

I see the idea for a smaller tablet, but I disagree about small tablet or laptop in my case owing to the 14 hour flights and time to kill on the plane (unless I have a seat with A/C power). As it is now I can probably do my next China trip without a laptop. When I'm on the road I basically do email, Skype and sometimes powerpoint presentations. That last one is the tricky part as I've no idea how good Keynote is or how well the hdmi out works.

I see the idea for a smaller tablet, but I disagree about small tablet or laptop in my case owing to the 14 hour flights and time to kill on the plane (unless I have a seat with A/C power). As it is now I can probably do my next China trip without a laptop. When I'm on the road I basically do email, Skype and sometimes powerpoint presentations. That last one is the tricky part as I've no idea how good Keynote is or how well the hdmi out works.

Look at Keynote as being a prettier version of the archaic PowerPoint.

HDMI-out works as it usually does.

Heard that the Real Racing HD game cost $2 million to develop.

Will that kind of budget work with a $10 game, of which $3 goes to Apple?

Heard that the Real Racing HD game cost $2 million to develop.

Will that kind of budget work with a $10 game, of which $3 goes to Apple?

If they can sell 300k or more copies to a target audience of 50 million, it does.

The A5 is really quite big if you compare it with Tegra 2 and Tegra 3( anyone know the figure for OMAP 4 and QSD 8x60? Though Qualcomm has an integrated baseband so the size will not be directly comparable). The process does play a part as TSMC 40nm v/s Samsung 45nm will be at least 19% smaller (and apparently the density of TSMC's processes in general are higher than Samsung). I read one figure of 122 mm2 for A5, while chipworks say it is more than twice the size of A4, which means its at least a 100 mm2. Tegra 2 is only 49 mm2 and even Quad core Tegra 3 is only 80 mm2. What exactly has Apple put in the A5 to make it so big :???:

I'm not sure if its right comparing with this Tegra 2 shot, but if its true, the density difference is nearly 2x.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4144/...gra-2-review-the-first-dual-core-smartphone/3

The Cortex A9 in the A5 chip is 2x larger than Cortex A9 in the Tegra 2 chip. So that means TSMC 40nm has 2x the density of Samsung's 45nm? That must be also the reason why Bobcat cores are so small.

I'm not sure if its right comparing with this Tegra 2 shot, but if its true, the density difference is nearly 2x.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4144/...gra-2-review-the-first-dual-core-smartphone/3

The Cortex A9 in the A5 chip is 2x larger than Cortex A9 in the Tegra 2 chip. So that means TSMC 40nm has 2x the density of Samsung's 45nm? That must be also the reason why Bobcat cores are so small.

The A5's implementation of A9 also includes the NEON engine while Tegra 2 doesn't. Tegra 2's VFP implementation is also VFPv3-D16, so the A5 has twice the number of FP registers as Tegra does.

Back