[PS3] Killzone 3 game discussion

It's definitely easier than KZ2, beat both on veteran. KZ2 frustrated me with the "fucking balcony" as I call it, and the Radec fight afterwards. I don't think there are any places with infinite enemies either, which I hate in COD.
The lighting is incredible, HDR or not.

I put in a couple of hours last night and, boy, was it good! It actually has managed to beat my expectations, both in terms of game play and immersion. The graphics are simply stunning considering the hardware they are being run on and the sound scape matched them perfectly.

Some sections have very apparent shimmering that can be a little distracting if you stop and look at it. Luckily thought the action keeps you moving and those little failings just don't matter!!

OK, so playing though the "demo" level, only this is a much longer uncut version......a whole section was removed from the demo. The big wave that knocks you off you're feet cutscene IS in just not where it was in the demo........Wonder why they cut this section. Incomplete at the time?

I just can't believe how good the new Blood Gracht mp level looks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vxNO3w8c8g&feature=related

The detail, the lighting,..amazing stuff.

Amazing !

Hopefully GG will continue to tweak the MP mode.

EDIT:

You know at the intro movie of the game there's a ship transporting a capsule. On gaf they are guessing its visari and the visari rico shot down was a dopple ganger.

Yap, that's my guess too !

Visari was practically unprotected in KZ2. If the Helghast army has technologies like MAWLR and the spider mecha, he should be heavily protected. It won't be so easy to take him out. Should be like destroying 2 MAWLRs at the same time. :devilish:

Detonating the nuke near him sounds risky too.

“The analysis we’ve got for the games we’re doing internally – and we’re adding 3D to a lot of our games – is that the average investment for adding 3D can be as low as two per cent in time and budget,”

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2010/11/24/sony-claims-that-adding-3d-only-adds-2-of-cost-and-time/

Can be as low as ... yes, I would presume that's the ideal case scenario where you already have a 60fps game. ;)

By the way did anyone see that all those Helghan flags and banners hanging everywhere can catch fire and slowly burn away?

I can't believe the image quality of this game.
Before I thought halo reach looked better than the demo but the full game is head and shoulders above halo reach.
The custom AA and AF is amazing.
I know the texture quality is either amazing or terrible but as a whole it looks and feels so amazing.
I know the RSX is not as good as the 360 GPU but what exactly is CELL doing to accomplish this game?
The reason I ask is because I have played nothing on 360 like this game yet the PS3 gets such a hard time for less than adequate multi platform releases.
If this is the future of PS3 games then no wonder they are in no rush to release PS4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can be as low as ... yes, I would presume that's the ideal case scenario where you already have a 60fps game. ;)

By the way did anyone see that all those Helghan flags and banners hanging everywhere can catch fire and slowly burn away?

I think some other old interview also said if you game support split screen its also easy.

That was about 3D tech they developed, it's similar to C2 3D on consoles ("fake" 3D), true S3D (like in KZ3) is much more taxing to the hardware :)

I pretty sure by budget he means cost of development not performance budget. Not cardbaord pop out 3D like crysis 2.

Played some more with Move and I actually think that I might be better now than I am with the DS3. I took some tips from iWaggle and calibrated with the Move controller on my lap instead of pointing it like a gun at the targets and it greatly helped with the vertical sensitivity not being so jumpy when playing with the Move controller on my lap. I think calibrating with the SS will be a different story since the attachment supposedly helps stabilize the Move controller.

Anyway, I'm having loads of fun just playing bot matches with Move. Have the bots set to Recruit, but it's still fun as hell.

Haven't beat the SP campaign but I'm still gonna finish with the DS3 first even though Move is so incredibly fun.

edit: Just beat it. I must say... the ending was pretty disappointing and the game is rather short (took me around 6 hours or even less). Other than the ending, the SP was great. Fortunately I have some reasons to replay it though.

I think the real test is in MP. :devilish:

I made stupid mistakes when I play MAG and KZ3 back to back. Playing with Move in KZ3, and DS3 in MAG is less confusing. ;-)

Not sure about KZ3 multiplayer + Move yet. Will try next week.

Beat the game. The story was indeed terrible. It's like it had nothing to do with KZ2. They changed Rico's and Narville's character, Sev has a different voice actor, and Natko is surprisingly absent. (I know he's the second player in co-op.) The story breaks up the action far to often, and only helps to make the characters feel one dimensional.

Rico IMO is still as useless in battle as he was in KZ2. I'm coming he's says, but usually doesn't show up.
They should have killed him.

The gameplay is great though, and the co-op is a very nice addition. Although I still wish we had online co-op as well, and the use of the whole screen. The way the guns handle and the clever enemies really make this one of the best shooters around. The on-rails sections I didn't like so much, especially the last one. The battle against the MAWLR was easily the highlight of the game for me.

I can't believe the image quality of this game.
Before I thought halo reach looked better than the demo but the full game is head and shoulders above halo reach.
The custom AA and AF is amazing.
I know the texture quality is either amazing or terrible but as a whole it looks and feels so amazing.
I know the RSX is not as good as the 360 GPU but what exactly is CELL doing to accomplish this game?
The reason I ask is because I have played nothing on 360 like this game yet the PS3 gets such a hard time for less than adequate multi platform releases.
If this is the future of PS3 games then no wonder they are in no rush to release PS4.

If I'm not wrong you do the same question every time you play a new first parties game on the ps3... the answer is always the same & not require so much competence: an exclusive push the platform in the strongest aspect & avoid the weakness, the multi indeed the tend to push more 360 stronger than how to do on the ps3, in the most of time, because 360 has the better 'usual' graphic features use from the developer, when on the ps3 are more 'artigianal' & raw.

Cornsnake, assuming you're playing on Trooper, then Rico should be able to heal you often. The only times he failed me were when I was too far out (e.g., next to enemies), or when I died too many times, or when he got killed too.

I'm playing through on Trooper and Rico has been an absolute diamond for me! Once we get through this and get back home, i'm taking him and his wife out for a slap up binge at Mrs Miggins pie shop!!!!

What an utterly fantastic the warehouse level is!! Explosions, bullets left right and centre , shattered glass everywhere, particles flying all over the place, awesome lighting! Just WOW! Framerate not even stopping for breath! Such a spectacle. I can only assume any low review scores where because the reviewers we're literally on drugs! Acting is fine, story is fine (the 2 biggest failings from whats been said). I would LOVE to see KZ4 hit the PS3, i really would. To fill some of the missing tick boxes for certain individuals ;)

I can only assume any low review scores where because the reviewers we're literally on drugs!

Or they played better shooters :) I'm half way through so far, it's good but not amazing. The game is basically go to set piece, play 45 seconds, watch cutscene, play 45 more seconds, etc, kinda formulaic. My version has frame rate issues, dunno if it's my ps3 slim dying but like that cross the bridge level i had trouble aiming because most of it ran at 10 to 15fps, it was fairly bad. Story is so so, and the level of mayhem present in this game has been done many times in other shooters to a similar degree if not more. Mlaa in this game drives me mad, I wish they had an option to disable it, it does much damage to the visuals especially to the multi colored forest level that I just finished, artifcating is everywhere, hate it. The good sides to me are the art style which I like, the game looks unique in that regard. I like the two main characters, don't know why everyone hates Rico so much but I like him. Controls feel good, and the close up L1 kills are neat. Good game, but the shooter bar is really high nowadays so I can see why some reviewers weren't awe'd by it. I'd say it's biggest problem is that I can't get into a groove, just as you start feeling it the game breaks for another cutscene which is irritating. I far prefer games like MW2 which just let you play for longer periods of time, with story advancing tidbits coming in via radio chatter rather than breaking it all up with cutscene after cutscene. Just my take though after having played about half way through.

Cornsnake, assuming you're playing on Trooper, then Rico should be able to heal you often. The only times he failed me were when I was too far out (e.g., next to enemies), or when I died too many times, or when he got killed too.

I was playing on Trooper. I don't expect to be healed when I'm too far ahead, but there were plenty of situations where he should have been able to heal me but didn't.

Edit: A game should always do as much as possible within gameplay. Uncharted does this well, and it's also what makes the Titan battles in God of War 3 so spectacular. KZ3 has a lot of unnecessary cutscenes IMO. It doesn't transition well between cutscenes and gameplay either.

Back