[PS3] Killzone 3 game discussion

The lighting in unbelievable.
What I don't understand is how this runs on hardware that has a lower fillrate than the xbox360. The 360 has nothing that comes close to looking like this.
The game has loads of care in it and it shows except for the low res textures.
It's like GT5 for me, it's all about the lighting.

Bought the game this afternoon, but lots of work and taking care of the kid prevented me from starting it up. Will probably check out the opening tonight with the wife present, and then slowly make my way through over the next week or two. Have a holiday coming up soon though, so it shouldn't take too long and might even get some multiplayer in. ;)

OK, i'm still in gushing mode 8)......The amount of little details and touches is quite remarkable considering the hardware it's running on. IMO it's top of the console pile ..considerably this gen.

Hah, I thought you would comment on the music. If my memory still serves me, you are in the music field/industry right ?

I also saw some comments on KZ3 bugs (e.g., audio stutter after resume). While I haven't encountered any yet, what's the most serious problem found so far ? Would be nice if GG gets a notice (and fix it/them !). Do you see more bugs playing with Move ? I just brought mine into the office, will play at a higher difficulty when I get a chance.

I got this voucher for Fast Starter Pack by the way with the game because I preordered. I presume that gives you an online xp boost or something such?

Hah, I thought you would comment on the music. If my memory still serves me, you are in the music field/industry right ?

I also saw some comments on KZ3 bugs (e.g., audio stutter after resume). While I haven't encountered any yet, what's the most serious problem found so far ? Would be nice if GG gets a notice (and fix it/them !). Do you see more bugs playing with Move ? I just brought mine into the office, will play at a higher difficulty when I get a chance.

Yeah Patsu, still in the industry! Working on 3DS amongst other things (Check Fluidity/Hydroventure on Wii also). Music is great yeah, as expected really, and quite a wide array of styles on offer. Sounds are fabulous across the board! Though there are issues with some of the cutscenes in terms of the ambient audio being rather sparse from time to time, not sure what this could be down to, could be a streaming issue? Overall though, consider me gazoomped!

I got this voucher for Fast Starter Pack by the way with the game because I preordered. I presume that gives you an online xp boost or something such?

I lost my GameStop pre-order bonus. Need to figure out how to download Salamun Market.

Do we get discount if I buy 3DS from you Antan ! :p

This code for whoever wants it:
Your unique Code is: 96L2-QLNK-7QKH

This codes gives you the following:
* All weapons and abilities for your first 24 hours of multiplayer gameplay.
* Lets you rise through the ranks faster by earning experience points at twice the normal rate for your first 24 hours of multiplayer gameplay.
* Gives you 3 unlock points to use on any weapon or ability you want.

I lost my GameStop pre-order bonus. Need to figure out how to download Salamun Market.

Do we get discount if I buy 3DS from you Antan ! :p

Haha! Sadly mate, we only have the tools, no need for us to buy a devkit just yet. we've had a few cheeky looks our way aswell as Ninty are being VERY strict with their availability, was a bit easier for us as we we're already registered on DS/Wii and are working on a 3DS project.

This code for whoever wants it:
Your unique Code is: 96L2-QLNK-7QKH

This codes gives you the following:
* All weapons and abilities for your first 24 hours of multiplayer gameplay.
* Lets you rise through the ranks faster by earning experience points at twice the normal rate for your first 24 hours of multiplayer gameplay.
* Gives you 3 unlock points to use on any weapon or ability you want.

Ah, so that's what it's for. I think I might keep it - don't have as much time as others to play multi-player and never got a high rank in Killzone 2 because of it.

Anyway, just played the game, and wow! I love it!

Also, I .... cannot ... believe ... how ... much ... better ... it ... plays ... with ... Move. Sooo much better! I also took some online advice to heart and made horizontal bounding box a bit smaller (20% right now) and rotation speed a bit fastser (not too much) right away, and it does feel right, but I do think you may be better off easing into that setting a little.

Anyway, fantastic game. I personally think the graphics are much improved by the way. So much more going on, it's almost overwhelming. Everything I've played so far seems more impressive than the demo, so they're doing a good job so far.

Took the default difficulty and died
the first time you get near an Exo in battle.
, took me about an hour I think to get there. I personally liked the opening scene a lot by the way - I guess it makes a huge difference whether or not you're now playing this with the Move for the first time or stuck to DualShock though whether or not you appreciate the target practice.

Anyway, really, really awesome experience so far. It doesn't just look next-gen, but thanks to their excellent Move implementation, it feels next-gen, and that's a first time in quite a while. I think this is the very first AAA Move system seller. Hopefully word of mouth spreads fast and dual analog players have an open mind ... :p

On another note, it struck me that tonight four people on my friends list were playing Gran Turismo 5, and 2 Killzone 3 (apart from me). I'm now booting up Gran Turismo 5 myself though because it just got an update, so I see why, but I still thought it was interesting.

I think people playing this with a Move will think this is pretty much a 10/10 game (even if there is still plenty of room for better storytelling). The major difference here will no doubt be that any kind of turret or on rails shooting section has gotten really old for DS3 owners and were never that much fun to begin with with a DS3, but with the Move controller, those sections too are highly enjoyable I feel.

On another note, it struck me that tonight four people on my friends list were playing Gran Turismo 5, and 2 Killzone 3 (apart from me). I'm now booting up Gran Turismo 5 myself though because it just got an update, so I see why, but I still thought it was interesting.

Yap, I see more people on my friends list playing GT5 than KZ3 too. ^_^

I think people playing this with a Move will think this is pretty much a 10/10 game (even if there is still plenty of room for better storytelling). The major difference here will no doubt be that any kind of turret or on rails shooting section has gotten really old for DS3 owners and were never that much fun to begin with with a DS3, but with the Move controller, those sections too are highly enjoyable I feel.

[Looks at Move controller in the office]
We shall see, my friend. We shall see.

2 upcoming patches:
http://community.killzone.com/t5/Ki...fore-posting/m-p/727219/highlight/true#M82437

Guerrilla Warfare matches are too short!
Agreed. We are currently playtesting new time and kill limits. These changes will make it out in a patch sometime soon.

Custom games.
Custom games are returning, although not exactly as they were in KZ2. Two separate updates will be arriving to allow custom games. The first will provide the base functionality, such as

- Custom game modes and settings.
- Secure games allowing you to invite the players you want to play with.
- Faction switching.

The second update will give more much more functionality, some examples include

- More control over games modes and settings.
- Toggling on and off functionality, such as ribbons, skills, explosives, etc.
- Selecting which careers you want available to players.
- Allow friendly fire to be turned on or off.

As well as a few other features. More details to follow.

Preorder and unlock voucher codes aren’t working correctly.
Investigations are currently ongoing into the issues relating to unlock/pre order bonuses.

Repeated Blood Gracht & Salamun Market matches.
We’ve already identified the cause of this problem, it is related to the ‘ANY” map selection preference, and we should be able to get a fix out soon in one of upcoming patches. In the meantime if you get trapped repeatedly playing either Blood Gracht or Salamun Market, you can quit your game, then within Find Match > Map Selection, choose a non DLC map. The game will place you into the map you have selected when you attempt to join a game, and once your match is finished, map voting will happen as normal and you can vote on whatever map you wish. We understand this isn’t an ideal solution and will try and get this resolved a.s.a.p.

Why does it take Sony so long to bring games like this to Market?
I am loving the support this is getting and also GT5.
If this had arrived within 18 months of PS3 launch date, the PS3 would be flying off the shelves.
I can only imagine what a decent price drop on the PS3 will do for it's sales.

Well, I'm gonna take a wee break and get upto speed on GT5. Interesting none of my friends have posted ANY TT times!

I still don't know why "custom game" is not in the game at launch. Did they not think it's a useful feature to have, or did they run out of time and scheduled it to be put in via a patch?

I definitely agree Move makes the game more fun, though my wrist start feeling some discomfort after an hour or so. I've read some say Move also improve MP performance, but my own experience hasn't borne that out yet.

Try playing with your hands resting on your lap. I haven't played many shooters with Move yet, but when I did play, I held my arms up and it got a little tiring. I'm having second thoughts about getting the SS attachment now that I tried playing this way.

I found a small article on Killzone 3's launch in today's NRC Handelsblad (basically the most serious Dutch paper), noting that it was the new biggest cultural production to come out of the Netherlands.

Hmmm....I wonder by how much compared to KZ2. I would've imagined less or perhaps something like Uncharted where ND claimed to have spent about the same amount with U1 and U2.

The sounds in this game are buggy, sometimes they'll start looping and sometimes they'll make an odd transition, same for the ingame dialogues. Also the subtitles are done VERY poorly, I could find a bazillion mistakes in the first 2 levels itself.

The game itself is easier than KZ2, but its a lot more cheap now....there's crazy amount of grenade spamming and you'll sometimes get killed in 1 shot or sometimes you'll get hit even if you think you are outside the line of sight of your enemy. And ofcourse the game also throws in a lot of enemies together with crap load of health. (I'm playing on Veteran and comparing it to my first KZ2 playthrough which was on Veteran as well)

I found a small article on Killzone 3's launch in today's NRC Handelsblad (basically the most serious Dutch paper), noting that it was the new biggest cultural production to come out of the Netherlands. This means it was more expensive to make as Killzone 2, because that one also was the recordholder before it. They didn't know the budget of either.

The most expensive product after that is Zwartboek, a recent Dutch movie (on WW2). This movie cost about 17 million euro to make. I think it is safe to say that either Killzone dwarfs that by a fair margin - what would people guess here, 60 million?

I have absolutely no idea, but I would expect kz3 to be cheaper than kz2 as it builds and improves on top of something rather than creates from empty. Perhaps they calculate kz2+kz3 with some fuzzy logic. Calendar time also favours kz2 being more expensive than kz3 unless team size was much bigger for kz3.

In similar note wasn't uncharted2 also cheaper than UC1?

Last edited by a moderator:
The sounds in this game are buggy, sometimes they'll start looping and sometimes they'll make an odd transition, same for the ingame dialogues. Also the subtitles are done VERY poorly, I could find a bazillion mistakes in the first 2 levels itself.

The game itself is easier than KZ2, but its a lot more cheap now....there's crazy amount of grenade spamming and you'll sometimes get killed in 1 shot or sometimes you'll get hit even if you think you are outside the line of sight of your enemy. And ofcourse the game also throws in a lot of enemies together with crap load of health. (I'm playing on Veteran and comparing it to my first KZ2 playthrough which was on Veteran as well)

So may be that's where the complains come from. I played through Trooper with not much issue (just like KZ2). The enemies towards the end are tougher. Where are you in the game now ?

I am playing on Trooper again with Move as we speak. The gunplay feels a tad more natural and immersive. The reloading, hiding behind cover, gunsight and lean are intuitive enough. However I can't pull off the special melee consistently. Had to jab a few times until the poor Helghast couldn't get up (Ha ha).

Zooming in and out of sniper rifle can confuse me sometimes. The on-rail segments however are tailored for Move. The controller shines there.

When playing using DS3, the chapters felt a little short. When playing with Move, the length felt just about right (Good for resting my eyes). I play with my arms on my laps or the hand rests.

Back