[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

repi,

Maybe I have not found it, but is there a "tutorial" arena ala BF1943 (Xbox) where you can practice? In particular the airplane, helo, and tanks to get a good handle on all the features? That was a really nice feature in BF1943 :)

I just applied to join Scott's platoon. I wish it was called something funny though like Canadian Bacon or Team USeh.

Holy crap, I just unlocked AT mines! Enemy vehicles are in trouble now!

For us Indians the DD version cheaper at Rs. 2499/-($50), while the retail version is Rs. 2999/- ($60) :cool: ! Woe to all who pre-ordered :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:.

EDIT: Will the DD version MP be playable only on one ps3 or on all ps3s where the account is activated?
well Rs 3000 is the MRP, most distributors offer a 10-15% discount which brings down the price to the same level.
I am thinking on double dipping on this game cause I realized that I just don't have the dedication to play on PC with a mouse and keyboard anymore, I am 20 and I already feel get tired of the keyboard mouse quite fast, maybe cause I have been away from using them properly for a long time (I think since the time I came to the UK, which was in January this year).

The controller support in PC version sucks ass and I am fine playing some sort of shooters with a controller when others use a mouse, like I used to do that in Gears of War and I was eventually always the best player in the game, but maybe that's cause of so much practice I had with the game on xbox 360.

The game came in today but my 360 slim hard drive doesn't come for another 4-5 days, I thought the hd texture pack would only affect the campaign graphics but I was very wrong. I played a few games online and the graphics were just very inconsistent, the lighting is incredibly good but the poly counts and texture quality are basically dreamcast caliber. It's going to be a long few days.

well Rs 3000 is the MRP, most distributors offer a 10-15% discount which brings down the price to the same level.
I am thinking on double dipping on this game cause I realized that I just don't have the dedication to play on PC with a mouse and keyboard anymore, I am 20 and I already feel get tired of the keyboard mouse quite fast, maybe cause I have been away from using them properly for a long time (I think since the time I came to the UK, which was in January this year).

The controller support in PC version sucks ass and I am fine playing some sort of shooters with a controller when others use a mouse, like I used to do that in Gears of War and I was eventually always the best player in the game, but maybe that's cause of so much practice I had with the game on xbox 360.

I don't see any site offering any discount on BF3's any version here. SO anyone who did not pre-order and bought the DD version saved $10 !

As for the Mouse+KB, well I didn't buy the PC version, though its just $30 , for the same reason. My fingers/wrists get so tired of the mouse+kb that I can't bother playing on PC anymore. Ad yes, the controller support on BF:BC2 on PC was stooopid too. Its was useless. and nayways you can't expect to take a Controller in online MP battles on the PC version. People will throw a grenade, knife you and headshot you by the time you turn around :LOL: !

The south India based distributors like gamegears and iconsoul.

and nayways you can't expect to take a Controller in online MP battles on the PC version. People will throw a grenade, knife you and headshot you by the time you turn around :LOL: !
Not really, you see this isn't a fast game so it won't matter...beside you will inevitably be better with vehicles, choppers and planes when compared to keyboard users.

yes its bad ... like KZ2 pre-patch

i see sometime blinking green frame .. what dice promised will be fixed in retail version and more bugs

+ the servers are terrible now ... lagfest everywhere .. sometime unplayable
DF article says the 360 version is the same as far as input lag.

I honestly feel very little lag on the PS3 version... not even close to KZ2 pre-patch IMO.

I think the controls could be a little better, but I don't see what the big deal is.

Regretting my purchase should have saved my money for UC3. This game needs alot of work visibility is terrible wayyyy too much bloom. What was all the hype about the new engine when it doesn't best the previous game. I feeling that the game was rushed because of MW3 or all the added features is too much for consoles. How is the PC version?

I don't think the graphics look that good (on the 360 version at least). Granted, the maps are huge and they have aircraft so something's gotta give I guess. I could be wrong, but it seems like the lighting quality has been scaled back a bit since the beta. Some of the textures are definitely crap though, very "muddy". I'd hate to see this game without the HD texture pack. Anyway, I don't think this is the best looking game on the 360, at least not in an absolute sense.

I guess I'm ready for the next generation of consoles too.

Edit:
It looks a lot better on PC, but I don't think it plays any better. The way some of the maps are designed, throwing even more players into the mix just makes the gameplay worse. And that's not even mentioning the typical problems with PC gaming like Punkbuster, crashes to desktop, driver updates, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep visibility is ABSOLUTELY terrible in this game. I can't tell who's who for one without looking at the color of the player id, not much of an issue but a very serious issue when there are dozens of other things which prevent you from noticing the player in the first place.

The contrast between the light and shadow is too high for me to make out the tiny movements which would usually be a player somewhere hiding in the bushes. If you are inside a building then good luck trying to spot anyone as half of the time you will be killed by someone from the outside aiming at the window. And the lens flares are really annoying cause they are very harsh and all over the screen, same issue with the vignetting effect as well as the blur and de saturation of screen when hit (blur+de saturation of an already saturated scene = wtf)

I have never been bad at any Battlefield game, infact I have played BF2142 at a professional level but I simply suck in this game cause of how I get shot from nowhere, and I have been trying to play it since the beta. Just a couple of minutes ago I was playing in Caspian Border and I spawned next to this fellow hiding between the grass, I couldn't see him but I knew he was there cause I could see him on the map I wasted a couple of more seconds looking and then finally when I saw him I was dead...it takes too much time cause the scene is already too busy and the effects and player uniform makes it even harder to see.

It's called the "fog of war" ( hence the name "Battlefield" ), things happen faster than you can see them and you aren't going to see everybody who is shooting at you. Like anything, there's an adjustment period. You aren't going to be good at the game just in a few days.

I noticed this in Gears of War also but Gears is far more skilled based, so the adjustment period should be much lower, as should the skill cap between players.

It's called the "fog of war" ( hence the name "Battlefield" )
Well you sure as hell don't fight a war out in the open while running around in the field on foot, there is a limit to how much realism you can put in each game.
Games like ARMA peak in this area hence their maps/gameplay are built around ambush shooting and small squad shootouts, having that kind of uncertainty in a map which is basically a field with few shacks kind of makes it less fun.

things happen faster than you can see them and you aren't going to see everybody who is shooting at you.
Battlefield is slow game...if I never had problems with the fast games like Quake, UT and COD then why should I have any problem regarding speed here? Things don't happen fast its just there's always someone hiding far away in the bushes who gets me while I try to engage someone or a group of people in the other direction.

Like anything, there's an adjustment period. You aren't going to be good at the game just in a few days.
As I said I am a veteran battlefield player and played BF2142 (which had a much higher skill level) at a professional level. I have invested hours in Battlefield 3 since the alpha and I still suck at it while I am decent to good at just about every game I play and it takes me only a couple of hours to get used to it. I know the only reason why I suck at this game is because I can't see anything properly and that's about it...if I could then I wouldn't be complaining at all.

I am playing some more SP, and while I have only played 3hrs of MP and have not touched many maps, I must say SP graphics are very, very nice. I have run into a couple spots of the, "you didn't do X right, so now you are dead." e.g. the QTE in the bathroom after you jump through the window before the vault scene. I like the story and narration though--a more serious modern warfare tale.

Visibility isn't too much of a problem for me. Battlefield games have always had a peek-and-run pattern to advancing around the map, once you start learning the maps you'll know where to check for enemies and what routes are the best depending on your class. Obviously sticking with your squad and combining infantry with vehicles also helps your chances.

Maybe the gameplay will evolve as people get used to it, but right now BF3 seems to be all about camping.

The server gives up every time I try to join a Rush game but in conquest, the absolute only time I see camping is over contested areas. However, I run around constantly from one control point to the next and have had a few matches where I'm the MVP even though I've only had a few kills in the entire match so maybe I just don't stick around at any control point long enough to meet these campers.

Well you sure as hell don't fight a war out in the open while running around in the field on foot, there is a limit to how much realism you can put in each game.
Games like ARMA peak in this area hence their maps/gameplay are built around ambush shooting and small squad shootouts, having that kind of uncertainty in a map which is basically a field with few shacks kind of makes it less fun.

Battlefield is slow game...if I never had problems with the fast games like Quake, UT and COD then why should I have any problem regarding speed here? Things don't happen fast its just there's always someone hiding far away in the bushes who gets me while I try to engage someone or a group of people in the other direction.

As I said I am a veteran battlefield player and played BF2142 (which had a much higher skill level) at a professional level. I have invested hours in Battlefield 3 since the alpha and I still suck at it while I am decent to good at just about every game I play and it takes me only a couple of hours to get used to it. I know the only reason why I suck at this game is because I can't see anything properly and that's about it...if I could then I wouldn't be complaining at all.

Put it into perceptive: UT, Quake and COD are corridor shooters. Combat is confined to CQB. ....and another thing Battlefield games aren't exactly good for professional play but that's just my experience with it. ...and another thing I don't think Battlefield is a skill focused game because there's too many elements to count for there lackof skill. Though that is debatable on what you define as 'skill'. It maybe a skill to be able to pick up on little things out of geometry that's not natural but when you have a million different things going on at once.... meh...I'm rambling.

I asked this on the pc forum, but I'll ask here as well since gamepad questions are more likely to be answered here. I play on pc with the gamepad and in single player it seems like the qte's don't support gamepad. So when it says press left mouse button or space, then you have to press left mouse button or space, it will ignore the gamepad equivalents but only on qte's it seems. This is in single player. Do you know if multiplayer is also gimped in a similar way, or can one play multiplatyer entirely with the gamepad on pc?

It is gimped, you cannot navigate the menu using gamepad....that's more than a reason to not use it.
I thought DICE said they will have gamepad support, nowadays a gamepad support practically means Xbox 360 controller support with proper button mapping and changes to HUD elements to display teh buttons on the controller....its not like we live in 2003 when gamepad support meant a lousy support for any gamepad.

Back