[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

Yes, the price is still bonkers compared to a game store, but not having a disc to insert when I want to play is worth it to me.

Wow, that's pretty interesting. First day and date console DD for such a really huge (sales wise, not download size :p ) title. Interesting and I wasn't even aware of that.

Edit: is this only europe? The online references I google are Europe specific. But it's hard to get much because anything about BF3 and digital download is met with tons of results about the beta.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the DD version are loading times better? Maybe even less texture pop-in?

Re: input lag on PS3, Demize99 has retweeted a temporary solution until they fix it. Set the res to 480p!

Wow, that's pretty interesting. First day and date console DD for such a really huge (sales wise, not download size :p ) title. Interesting and I wasn't even aware of that.

Edit: is this only europe? The online references I google are Europe specific. But it's hard to get much because anything about BF3 and digital download is met with tons of results about the beta.

Yes I believe it is in Europe only (unfortunately). Still a great step forward to get out big AAA games like this day1 on digital download on console. Though prices need to improve.

It was 599 NOK here in Norway, random big store that sells games have the disc version for 499 NOK. So its 100 NOK difference which isn't even 2 beers....

1 USD ~ 6 NOK

They did the same for Fifa12 I believe

FXAA detects single lines or pixels with high contrast to a surrounding pixels and blend them in a little, so it helps with some shimmering.
I'ts slightly better than MLAA in this aspect, but far from anything proper.

Hmph, only slightly better ? Perhaps they are afraid FXAA's blending may blur the image further, and had to be less aggressive ? It's super cheap to implement though (about 1ms for both GPUs), so that's something.

So, been playing for a few hours, PS3 version. Decent game, if a bit by the numbers, but the the single player gfx are truly gorgeous, really very impressive, especially the lighting, some remarkable stuff on screen given the hardware limitations. MLAA really makes the PS3 version really very nice. Hopefully the game picks up a wee bit.

I lived in Sweden for a few months and the beer there was very expensive compared to the UK. Now I'm in Germany and they practically pay me to get drunk. I can get a whole crate of good beer for the price you pay for one!

Patsu its the same as the full retail price, many stores does their own discount etc. So my assumption would be 60USD for US.

bigtabs 8 USD is cheap, I doubt you can get it for that in a bar etc. Try 10+

Holy crap, they've already shipped 10 million copies for this game. EA spent a lot on marketing and I never expected Battlefield 3 to be such a big commercial hit, seems like EA's plan to dethrone COD with Battlefield 3 when it comes to sales might not sound so absurd afterall. (Who know's how many units MW3 will move in the very first day, IIRC Black Ops sold 7 million units the very first day)

Patsu its the same as the full retail price, many stores does their own discount etc. So my assumption would be 60USD for US.

bigtabs 8 USD is cheap, I doubt you can get it for that in a bar etc. Try 10+

For us Indians the DD version cheaper at Rs. 2499/-($50), while the retail version is Rs. 2999/- ($60) :cool: ! Woe to all who pre-ordered :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:.

EDIT: Will the DD version MP be playable only on one ps3 or on all ps3s where the account is activated?

Holy crap, they've already shipped 10 million copies for this game. EA spent a lot on marketing and I never expected Battlefield 3 to be such a big commercial hit, seems like EA's plan to dethrone COD with Battlefield 3 when it comes to sales might not sound so absurd afterall. (Who know's how many units MW3 will move in the very first day, IIRC Black Ops sold 7 million units the very first day)

Ok, so where are all my 360 friends? Scott and Kage have been on, but where is everyone else?

I get it that Robert, Tap In, and NRP are on the PC. Anyone else where? I would like to play with a handful of TEAM players. I am still learning the ropes and stinking (it took me a couple hours on Metro to get warmed up too so I think things will get better... I hope!) but we need more peeps. Hit me up folks!

Ok, so where are all my 360 friends? Scott and Kage have been on, but where is everyone else?

I get it that Robert, Tap In, and NRP are on the PC. Anyone else where? I would like to play with a handful of TEAM players. I am still learning the ropes and stinking (it took me a couple hours on Metro to get warmed up too so I think things will get better... I hope!) but we need more peeps. Hit me up folks!

I'm down for some TEAM playing, if I'm not in Forza trying to best Graham :)
(and I'm stil getting used to BF3, so I'm probably going to suck in the beginning)

God, the campaign sucks so bad. (also on PC) Black Ops was a role playing game compared to this QTE bullshit.

There's definitely some truth to that :LOL:

However I'm also playing on PC and I wonder if that has something to do with my discontent. It's a very "active" game and trying to press left shift to sprint (while using WASD for a direction, requires some contortions), Z for prone, as well as QTE's just feeling wrong on PC, leads me to wish for a controller. As I say the game is one of those "modern" FPS constantly asking you to do onscreen "physical activity", doesn't feel like it fits the PC well.

If any of you are looking for some XBLA friends Scott has started a Platoon. Anyone is welcome to join if they want some teamwork oriented gameplay. No promises in regards to how good we are (hahahahaha) so you are free to leave anytime you get recruited by some uberduberclan. But if you want some team play now feel free to join!

Scott_Arm's platoon is "The Last Resort" on battlelog.battlefield.com. http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/user/zunderholz/

The PS3 version defaults to DD5.1 instead of DTS. Apparently you have to uncheck DD to get DTS and you have to uncheck the 7.1 options to get PCM.

Hopefully DICE/EA fix this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back