[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

I was recently interviewed and asked about why I skipped the Single Player Campaign and went straight to MP.

ME: But we're talking about Single Player Campaign man. What are we talking about? Single Player Campaign? We're talking about Single Player Campaign, man. We're talking about Single Player Campaign. We're talking about Single Player Campaign. We aint talking about the game. We're talking about Single Player Campaign, man. When you come to the Man Cave, and you see me play, you see me play don't you? You've seen me give everything I've got, right? But we're talking about Single Player Campaign right now. We taking about Single Player Campaign.

Reporter: But it's an issue that your coach continues to raise?

ME: Man look, I hear you... it's funny to me too, I mean it's strange... it's strange to me too, but we're talking about Single Player Campaign man, we're not even talking about the game... the actual game, when it matters... We're talking about Single Player Campaign...

Yep, no one is having issues on the PC!
That is darn funny! :LOL:, that's what I was going to say if I was interviewed. You took the words right out of my mouth. Show me where you live. Where is that? I am coming to visit. Stock your fridge with beer! :smile: -ah no, I remember I can't drink much alcohol as doctors removed my spleen after a car crash-. But we can play SP campaign cooperatively, offline (not sure yet if you can do this in BF3 though).

I rather prefer SP to MP, always, but I have had my share of fun in different BF titles multiplayer, it's just that I never got much into it.

I don't understand the complaints about the SP... I think it's pretty good -- at least as good as any CoD SP. Not the most polished, but it's not bad. Visuals and sound are excellent.
Anyone else experiencing terrible input lag on the PS3 version? Strange thing is that this wasn't present in the beta or BF:BC2 . . .

Cheers
My TV has low input lag so it seemed fine to me. There's maybe a bit of lag compared to BC2, but it's not bad at all. I never did like the controls for BF games though... it's not as smooth as other shooters.

Anyone else experiencing terrible input lag on the PS3 version? Strange thing is that this wasn't present in the beta or BF:BC2 . . .

Cheers

yes its bad ... like KZ2 pre-patch

i see sometime blinking green frame .. what dice promised will be fixed in retail version and more bugs

+ the servers are terrible now ... lagfest everywhere .. sometime unplayable

There is nothing near the sluggish control of KZ2, at least not on the 360 version.

My only complaint about the game is the image quality. I'm not sure what effects are rendered in lower resolution buffers, but the game has a muddy look to it. 720p can and should look a lot sharper than this. I haven't seen single-player yet, so multi-player could have more compromises for performance reasons. I just have a hard time identifying enemies amongst the background, sometimes being killed by guys standing directly in front of me. My colour blindness (dependency) sometimes makes it hard to identify enemy text from squad text quickly. Wish games would stop using red or green, as key indicators. My other big annoyance with the presentation - when you are in a flag zone on Conquest, a flag indicator will appear slightly above dead center on the screen, and it is fairly large. WHY?! Why not put it at the top of the screen? When I look through my holo scope, it actually obstructs part of the scope view. It's in a terrible location. Overall though, game is very fun, and I'm very much pleased with it.

There is nothing near the sluggish control of KZ2, at least not on the 360 version.

My only complaint about the game is the image quality. I'm not sure what effects are rendered in lower resolution buffers, but the game has a muddy look to it. 720p can and should look a lot sharper than this. I haven't seen single-player yet, so multi-player could have more compromises for performance reasons. I just have a hard time identifying enemies amongst the background, sometimes being killed by guys standing directly in front of me. My colour blindness (dependency) sometimes makes it hard to identify enemy text from squad text quickly. Wish games would stop using red or green, as key indicators. My other big annoyance with the presentation - when you are in a flag zone on Conquest, a flag indicator will appear slightly above dead center on the screen, and it is fairly large. WHY?! Why not put it at the top of the screen? When I look through my holo scope, it actually obstructs part of the scope view. It's in a terrible location. Overall though, game is very fun, and I'm very much pleased with it.

FXAA I guess; I noticed that in some screenshot comparison & on 360 although the texture definition is not touched, it gives me the same muddy look impression even compared to ps3; recently I noticed that only in Deus Ex on 360.

My other big annoyance with the presentation - when you are in a flag zone on Conquest, a flag indicator will appear slightly above dead center on the screen, and it is fairly large. WHY?! Why not put it at the top of the screen?

Fully agree with that one. Feels a bit like the interface designers weren't playtesting their work.

Ya, it's probably the AA. I'm not sure if the PS3 version is still in fact using MLAA, but I think it looks very good - one of the best MLAA implementations if it is IMO. I was expecting it to look bad in day levels where there would be a lot of shimmering, but it's not bad at all.

Ya, it's probably the AA. I'm not sure if the PS3 version is still in fact using MLAA, but I think it looks very good - one of the best MLAA implementations if it is IMO. I was expecting it to look bad in day levels where there would be a lot of shimmering, but it's not bad at all.

P.R. said something like to use a slight modified version of MLAA but I don't know what to mean exactly...

yes its bad ... like KZ2 pre-patch

i see sometime blinking green frame .. what dice promised will be fixed in retail version and more bugs

+ the servers are terrible now ... lagfest everywhere .. sometime unplayable

Is the controls the same for both SP and MP ? The BF3 MP beta didn't really show any delay. In KZ2 ('specially post patch), the SP and MP controls are different too. The SP one seems more optimized for sophisticated and life-like animation. The MP one for quick action.

P.R. said something like to use a slight modified version of MLAA but I don't know what to mean exactly...

According to one of the tech folks, they use a similar model as PhyreEngine. The calculations are done on the SPUs, the blending is done on the RSX.

In the God of War 3 MLAA implementation, everything is done on the SPUs, freeing the RSX to do something else.

Not sure if they tweaked the edge detection algorithm though. I think DICE also added other refinements to post processing. I forgot the details.

EDIT: Hmm... if 360 version is using FXAA, why does Scott_Arms still see subpixel shimmering ?

Is the controls the same for both SP and MP ? The BF3 MP beta didn't really show any delay. In KZ2 ('specially post patch), the SP and MP controls are different too. The SP one seems more optimized for sophisticated and life-like animation. The MP one for quick action.

ive played only MP and SP for 5 min. ... SP is bad with tons of bugs ... in the first level where i should shoot down the enemies with rocket launcher on the balcony was missing the half of the building lol .. what a shame

today the controls were ok ... i think it was because of bad servers now ... today i joined fifth server successfully because the other crashed after 2 min...

The problems with apparent input lag (or messed up acceleration + deadzone) are specific to the PS3 as far as I am aware. Here is a vid that shows the issue in action and replicates my personal experience:

Especially in close quarters I find I keep over compensating and end up spinning around like an idiot trying to get control back. Reminds me of those shots of bridges where standing waves kick in and tear themselves apart.

[edit]I see at least one person reporting that switching the PS3 to 480P fixes the issue. . .hopefully that does not end up being the long term solution![/edit]

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: Hmm... if 360 version is using FXAA, why does Scott_Arms still see subpixel shimmering ?

I thought MLAA and most forms of FXAA do not address sub-pixel issues? I think there is a variant of FXAA that does, but maybe they are using one of the "cheaper" versions. Also, they may not be using FXAA, but some other edge detect.

Nice surprise that it got a DD version, was on the fence, but now its currently downloading, all 13GB of it.

I thought MLAA and most forms of FXAA do not address sub-pixel issues? I think there is a variant of FXAA that does, but maybe they are using one of the "cheaper" versions. Also, they may not be using FXAA, but some other edge detect.
FXAA detects single lines or pixels with high contrast to a surrounding pixels and blend them in a little, so it helps with some shimmering.
I'ts slightly better than MLAA in this aspect, but far from anything proper.

Back