[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

The is a MP game through and through

the SP is there to be acceptable to the mainstream but the heart and soul is MP and by all accounts (and my own experience) this is the MP game to end all MP games. ;)

Graphics look astounding

The market for FPS aren't simply going to grow out of nowhere for ps3. It's as big as its going to be. In fact it's still quite big with the ps3 version of Cod selling around 8-10 million units worldwide ( according to vgchartz ) on the last entry.

Those people who you are talking about that own a 360 for Cod simply aren't going to switch to Ps3 because of EA's marketing gimmicks. Unless the game is totally broken on the 360 ( which would be bad business if they like money ), I doubt you are going to see any impact whatsoever on the Ps3 version of the game.

I probably worded it poorly. I didn't mean that market will magically grow for the PS3, just it made sense to try and make a name on the system, similar to how CoD has on the 360.

In no way do I think a CoD 360 player would switch over to the PS3 for BF3, instead they would either stick with CoD on the 360 or just get BF3 on the 360.

I was merely just talking about making a marketing name for itself on the other system where CoD holds slightly less weight.

Chk this out. Looks like people without an HDD in their X360 are going to freak out. Its PS2 like textures without the HD texture pack :oops: !!!!! This won't bode well for a game that boasts of having the bestest graphics this gen.

Not all the textures are that horrible without the HD pack installed. Besides it's all a moot point since any 360 owner who cares that much about performance/graphics will have a flash drive or HDD on their 360. :p

So with the texture pack on 360, will that make a full game installation less optimal than having the HD content installed and otherwise running from the disk?

As the game can stream from both disk and HDD rather than having to read from two separate places on the HDD?

I was wondering the same thing, something similar to the Halo 3 install issue, correct? I hope DICE would be well aware of this potential issue and optimize around it. No different than how later Bungie titles ran fine once installed.

Reviews are out by the way. ~9s everywhere. Consensus seems to be the sp is meh.

Honestly, it was obvious the SP was going to be a linear CoD-ish campaign once the first trailers started appearing. Not that I think this should be held against BF when the vast majority of games released today are "cinematic" :rolleyes: linear campaigns.

So I'm holding my judgement of the campaign until I play through it, not really buying it for that mode though. ;)

Check this out. Looks like people without an HDD in their X360 are going to freak out. Its PS2 like textures without the HD texture pack :oops: !!!!! This won't bode well for a game that boasts of having the bestest graphics this gen.

Interesting, it looks like what they did is put the best lod for various objects on that second disc, both texture and geometry. So when it's streaming in stuff as you get close the engine looks for better lod's and if not available then the above is what you get. In some cases the objects have no lod's at all on that first disc hence they don't appear. Looks like non hdd 360 users will have to invest $5 in a usb thumbdrive to bump the graphics up to where they should be.

Wonder if they found statistics on the people who bought Bad Company 1&2 with regards to HDD presence. It seems a bit insane otherwise to have some decent chunk of people having a last-gen looking game.

Wonder if they found statistics on the people who bought Bad Company 1&2 with regards to HDD presence. It seems a bit insane otherwise to have some decent chunk of people having a last-gen looking game.

It's definitely the easiest way to handle the situation dev side, mostly automatic since when it queries for another lod if it ain't there then oh well it just stops looking. Plus maybe they have no choice. Some games can design around the disc space limitations on the 360, but for others like BF3 when playing multiplayer the map being played will change and you can't have people getting up changing discs anytime a map changes to one that isn't on the disc currently in their 360. I'm wondering if GTA5 will do something similar since that's also the type of game that needs all assets available at all times. Seems like a good solution to me since it's only $5 for a 4gb usb thumbdrive anyways to resolve the issue for those that care. If someone can't spend $5 then they probably wouldn't have bought the game new anyways.

Nice, received my PS3 pre-order from Origin today (isn't release date tomorrow?). Surprised because my order still says it's being processed. Won't have any time to play it today though. :(

If anyone had any doubts where I would be, well, there is your hint. I may come down for supper... maybe. Maybe next week? Yeah, now off to googling how to get a flight stick to work :p

Nice, received my PS3 pre-order from Origin today (isn't release date tomorrow?). Surprised because my order still says it's being processed. Won't have any time to play it today though. :(

I'll pick it up today, but most likely can't play until about 2 weeks later. Stayed up the entire night to play Dark Souls to catch up (Good times !). Hopefully I will remember how to play an FPS when I'm done with DS. ^_^

my goodness the game is amazing.... has the graphical quality of Crysis 2 but with 5 times the scale and action.

simply amazing what they have done here on this tiny, itty-bitty, old machine.

I_m talking multiplayer only of course.

what the...I used a korean proxy to unlock it in origin...yeehaaaaaa!!
(http://www.pcgames.de/Battlefield-3...n-Deutschland-moeglich-Tipp-des-Tages-851294/)

played the campaign for a few hours...speechless...the graphics, the action...the graphics, the sound...did I mention the graphics? (have a GTX480 under the hood, everything on ultra, except MSAA which is off...brutal graphics, the effects...ultra wow!!)

MP server is not unlocked now, need to wait till 27th...

Wow, 167MB patch day 1? Good thing it downloaded in a minute or so. :love: Fios!

So, are we able to practice MP this time around on an empty server?

Interesting, it looks like what they did is put the best lod for various objects on that second disc, both texture and geometry. So when it's streaming in stuff as you get close the engine looks for better lod's and if not available then the above is what you get. In some cases the objects have no lod's at all on that first disc hence they don't appear. Looks like non hdd 360 users will have to invest $5 in a usb thumbdrive to bump the graphics up to where they should be.
eh, if I'm understanding things correctly, you can not install the texture pack on a usb thumb drive :S

My suspicion for that to be the case is one of the reasons (actually, the main reason by a country mile) that I don't really have any interest in this game. I don't really have the time to invest any more in MP gaming and require a good quality and decent length SP campaign for a game to excite me enough to dole out my hard-earned.

I suspect, for the same reason, MW3 is going to go unbought in my household.
I am going to buy the game, but I agree with you that, at least to me, games that offer a deep single player experience are my favourite.

Online makes me feel dependent, you can't do things like talking on the phone if you are playing an intense online match, the connection sometimes could stop working if there's a blackout or simply because of technical problems with the ISP -mine is Vodafone-, and at the end of the day the interactions with people online are mostly shallow.

There is that dividing barrier which stops me and others from getting close to them. I think the more you mingle the more you discover, which is nice, but on the net it gets to a point that you reach a limit.

A little off-topic but I can't connect to the internet-only friends the way I can connect with the rest of the people that I talk to face-to-face. It feels more real and personal to me when I actually meet a person.

I have some experience on this, and I really tried but anyways.... So, people I talk to on the internet are real, of course but my closest relationships are most often with people that I see on a regular basis and can spend time with.

The same could be said about games. If a game is way too focused on the online, like WoW and similar games, I always have a feeling everything will get out of my control sooner or later.

If I go to some place on vacation maybe I don't have a connection there and can't play, the router get fried because of a storm -happened 6 times to me in less than 2 years-, etc etc. That's why new products like Onlive doesn't interest me.

Back on topic, Battlefield 3 has a single player campaign, yay, and a great mp to play with a friend -I downloaded BF 1943 because a friend asked me to- or with random people online, so it is a very complete game.

Well the consensus between Scott, NRP, and myself is DICE has continued the tradition of buggy launch titles. Pre-ordering a game and opening the box only to spend 2 hours of either dropping out of servers or EA servers being down altogether, meaning no Coop or MP, is not good.

So far there is a LOT to praise about the game but when my friends from all over NA are having the same issues that isn't cool. The audio rocks, the visuals are great, the MP features and balance seem really solid ... but planning a rare evening alone with the Xbox to have hours of frustration is just stupid.

That makes me happy that I saved one dollar by ordering 5 day shipping rather than release day shipping on Amazon. I just hope it smooths out by the next few days.

Well the consensus between Scott, NRP, and myself is DICE has continued the tradition of buggy launch titles. Pre-ordering a game and opening the box only to spend 2 hours of either dropping out of servers or EA servers being down altogether, meaning no Coop or MP, is not good.

So far there is a LOT to praise about the game but when my friends from all over NA are having the same issues that isn't cool. The audio rocks, the visuals are great, the MP features and balance seem really solid ... but planning a rare evening alone with the Xbox to have hours of frustration is just stupid.

PC is fine :p

360 is fine for me tonight

oh and it is real and it is SPEC TAC ular :cool:

I loved all of the CoD games (MP) and those games are like playing a 1978 arcade game as compared to this is like playing a simulator

edit; ok must have gotten lucky.... down again at 12:30am PT

Back