[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

IMO it all comes down to the fact that the game will likely sell good on the 360 regardless and (more importantly) CoD has made more of a name on the 360 so it makes sense to tie BF3 closely to the PS3 in this case. Nothing wrong with this move and it makes perfect business sense to try and make a bigger impact on the PS3.

The market for FPS aren't simply going to grow out of nowhere for ps3. It's as big as its going to be. In fact it's still quite big with the ps3 version of Cod selling around 8-10 million units worldwide ( according to vgchartz ) on the last entry.

Those people who you are talking about that own a 360 for Cod simply aren't going to switch to Ps3 because of EA's marketing gimmicks. Unless the game is totally broken on the 360 ( which would be bad business if they like money ), I doubt you are going to see any impact whatsoever on the Ps3 version of the game.

The buildings look barren on the console versions. I think when time comes it'll be the PC version I go for.
Right now, I have had too many FPSs and shooters ! Will stick with Demons Souls and then Skyrim, maybe. I am skipping BF3 and UC3 for now. Need a change.

HD Texture pack (360) comparison pictures:

lGo1U.jpg

Without:
vhmulticam2011102200073.png

With:
vhmulticam2011102209155.png

If these are true it seems that it's not only textures which are downgraded, but the geometry as well without the texture pack installed.

More better ps3 videocapture of SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzpISsS6bKg&feature=related I don't care about the tearing or the dips in fps this really wtf... :oops: what DICE has done is simply astonishing, I can't believe such graphic on the ps3, it seems almost next generation to my eyes... this engine is pretty fantastic, I have no words in what I see. Gives almost the feeling that the other third parties has done almost nothing in comparison to push over the limits of this generation of platforms. This engine deserve all the time (& isn't it even that much) and cost spent on it.

More better ps3 videocapture of SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzpISsS6bKg&feature=related I don't care about the tearing or the dips in fps this really wtf... :oops: what DICE has done is simply astonishing, I can't believe such graphic on the ps3, it seems almost next generation to my eyes... this engine is pretty fantastic, I have no words in what I see. Gives almost the feeling that the other third parties has done almost nothing in comparison to push over the limits of this generation of platforms. This engine deserve all the time (& isn't it even that much) and cost spent on it.

I think I heard somewhere that this engine was designed with next-gen consoles in mind. It may be like UE3 where they continually improve it over the years and use it for several other EA games like the new Need for Speed. Of course it'll be about two years probably before the new playstation and xbox comes out so who knows what kind of capabilities they will have.

It truly is the most realistic looking FPS IMHO. I will hold judgement until I get the game, but so far, it does look incredible.

Chk this out. Looks like people without an HDD in their X360 are going to freak out. Its PS2 like textures without the HD texture pack :oops: !!!!! This won't bode well for a game that boasts of having the bestest graphics this gen.

Lol I posted images about that same thing like... 3 posts up.

If you notice it isn't JUST the texture quality. For whatever reason the geometry is significantly downgraded too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol I posted images about that same thing like... 3 posts up.

If you notice it isn't JUST the texture quality. For whatever reason the geometry is significantly downgraded too.

I saw your post, but the video shows lots more instances and some of them are extremely bad. And, yes, it affects geometry too, maybe its to do with mesh streaming too, but doesn't make sense. Look at the video, some of the differences are way beyond imagination. I had not thought it would be that bad.

Holy Mother of ....... :oops: ! look at that damn Ocean :p ! Oh, Pc version would be so sweet !

Well, Dice calls it next gen graphics running on current gen hardware, I don't know how one can quantify that but thus far it's definitely looking tons better than Rage alright. Will find out on Thursday with the PS3 version:).

So with the texture pack on 360, will that make a full game installation less optimal than having the HD content installed and otherwise running from the disk?

As the game can stream from both disk and HDD rather than having to read from two separate places on the HDD?

Yea, the game looks pretty bananas. It has a great tech, but quality of assets and attention to details is what alot of people will describe as "next gen". When he gets in jet, look at his hands, his helmet, look at the glass from jet. Alot of small, subtle details, but they kinda give vibe of high quality PS3 exclusive. You can see this game had sick budget, and EA's decision to give DICE time and resources to make this kind of engine really payed of. Fantastic looking game.

When he gets in jet, look at his hands, his helmet, look at the glass from jet. Alot of small, subtle details, but they kinda give vibe of high quality PS3 exclusive. You can see this game had sick budget, and EA's decision to give DICE time and resources to make this kind of engine really payed of.

Not just that... they've bothered to build an entire aircraft carrier asset, assembled the take-off sequence with all that mocap and voice recordings and effects, even though they aren't gameplay or story realted elements, they're only used to create atmosphere and impress the player. I don't even dare to guess what the game's budget could have been.

I think I heard somewhere that this engine was designed with next-gen consoles in mind. It may be like UE3 where they continually improve it over the years and use it for several other EA games like the new Need for Speed. Of course it'll be about two years probably before the new playstation and xbox comes out so who knows what kind of capabilities they will have.
Many current engines are designed for next-gen or are capable of 'next-gen' effects, such as Unreal Engine 3, CryENGINE 3, Unigine, idTech 5, etc. It really comes down to how skilled the studio is, though. Need for Speed: The Run, for example - which uses the same engine as Battlefield 3 - has been criticised for it's poor graphics.

Consensus seems to be the sp is meh.

My suspicion for that to be the case is one of the reasons (actually, the main reason by a country mile) that I don't really have any interest in this game. I don't really have the time to invest any more in MP gaming and require a good quality and decent length SP campaign for a game to excite me enough to dole out my hard-earned.

I suspect, for the same reason, MW3 is going to go unbought in my household.

While the gameplay might be whack-a-mole, it looks to be a visual and auditory feast for a few hours far outclassing anything else available on those fronts.. and that would make it worth it in my book. I watched Transformers 3 the other day and enjoyed it for what it was worth.

Back