[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

Yeah, but then presumably you would've bought it based of the reviews if it turns out that the game is very good and the beta was in fact not particularly representative.

I assume that if someone is interested enough in a game to pre-order it (I'm also assuming people don't pre-order most of the games that they own), then they're not going to completely forget about it and refuse to consider it again or read reviews of it immediately after they cancel.

This is starting to sound like a pissing match and I have no interest in that, so this will be my last comment on the issue.

I preordered based on my experience with previous BF games. I was concerned about all the "We're gonna dethrone CoD!" hype, and to me Operation Metro kind of implied that was the direction the gameplay was taking. I'm more interested in BF than CoD, so, yeah, if that's where their going I'm out.

I'm with you. If it turns out to be too CODified then presumably a lot of cancellations will not be recinded with a later purchase.

Appears you need to do the full install for best visuals on 360..

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/battlefield_3/news/xbox_360_battlefield_3_standard_def_without_install.html

"The thing with the 360 is that you need to be able to give consumers a game where you don't have to install it on a hard drive, because there are 360s without a hard drive. So we need to give you the option of installing it, rather than just demanding it. You could call it a 'standard-def' version for the 360 if you don't have a hard-drive."

The Gadget Show builds an FPS simulator that shoots back (video)

DANG!

A four by nine meter video dome surrounds the player as they stand on an omni-directional treadmill that lets you walk wherever you want to go. Ten infra-red motion tracking cameras and a sensor on your gun enables the picture to follow where you point it and a Kinect hack controls your jumping and crouching. The fun doesn't stop there -- 12 paintball markers mean that every time you get shot in the game, you'll feel it.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/20/the-gadget-show-builds-an-fps-simulator-that-shoots-back-video/

We talked about the downside of an open beta.

Here're the good sides...
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...-you-helped-shape-battlefield-3s-multiplayer/

On behalf of the entire team at DICE, I wanted to say thanks to everyone who played and participated in our Battlefield 3 Open Beta. The information that we’ve gathered from your play time is invaluable. It will help to make Battlefield 3 even better!

But it’s not all network load balancing and matchmaking algorithms; When it comes to data, the real star is you! Just look at these killer numbers we pulled down from all of you PS3 players:

But one wonders if they can achieve most of these by keeping the beta closed.

We talked about the downside of an open beta.

Here're the good sides...
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...-you-helped-shape-battlefield-3s-multiplayer/

But one wonders if they can achieve most of these by keeping the beta closed.

Wonder why they send this to only a PS blog when the data likely includes stats from PC and 360 players as well. Maybe a marketing opportunity to mention the one week DLC exclusive deal again? :p

As for why not keeping the beta closed, I would imagine results from 8 million users would provide more accurate results than <4million users.

There is cause and effect. It is unclear whether data from 4 mil will be that different from 8 mil also. I guess it's up to them. We shall see what they do for BF4.

Is there an exclusive DLC for PS3 ? I didn't know that. ^_^

There is cause and effect. It is unclear whether data from 4 mil will be that different from 8 mil also. I guess it's up to them. We shall see what they do for BF4.

They get the DLC one week early on PS3 I think (all DLC?). Similar to COD's typical month of 360 exclusivity.

It's funny that Dice has favored PS3 at every aspect, when the 360 version is likely to sell quite a bit better (given it's a FPS and all). Just, a bit odd.

Edit: Actually I'm now unclear for how long X360 got exclusivity on Black Ops DLC. Anybody know?

I know, I was just repeating a point I made earlier. Open beta would likely produce a more accurate test environment than a closed beta IMO. You're right that a ~4+million gap may not make much of a difference, who knows.

Also yeah, PS3 players get all DLC a week earlier than PC or 360 players. :smile:

It's funny that Dice has favored PS3 at every aspect, when the 360 version is likely to sell quite a bit better (given it's a FPS and all). Just, a bit odd.

You mean marketing-wise ? It could be a half-full/half-empty debate. They may think they odd to do better in the PS3 market compared to where they are right now (or last year). The earlier DLC could be a business arrangement with Sony ?

Development-wise, I suspect they will try to do their best on all platforms -- where resources and time permit.

Development-wise, I suspect they will try to do their best on all platforms -- where resources and time permit.

One of the developers at Dice posts here and said this in response to how resources are divided on multiplatform development:

That is not how we work at DICE. Everyone shares the responsibility for the performance and quality across all platforms and everyone works on their parts on all platforms we support.

The line between Frostbite and BF3 / the other DICE game teams is quite blurry as well, so lets just say we have _a lot_ of really talented & very senior devs that share the responsibilities and have been working together for many years now.

So I'd agree that they probably try to push each platform as much as they can even if EA decides to give the DLC some timed exclusivity.

You mean marketing-wise ? It could be a half-full/half-empty debate. They may think they odd to do better in the PS3 market compared to where they are right now (or last year). The earlier DLC could be a business arrangement with Sony ?

IMO it all comes down to the fact that the game will likely sell good on the 360 regardless and (more importantly) CoD has made more of a name on the 360 so it makes sense to tie BF3 closely to the PS3 in this case. Nothing wrong with this move and it makes perfect business sense to try and make a bigger impact on the PS3.

Back