[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait a minute... it means the game will use high texture? Really? Not the resolution seen in the beta?

High resolution as compared to not installing the HD Texture disk. What is the Beta? We can all hope it is the low resolution install. But I doubt it, as much as I want repi to come in and tell me I have no faith and I am complete wrong :p

Why would it be the hi res pack? They're not asking you to beta-test the textures.

I'm confused, would we need to install the textures from disk 2 and then pop in disk 1 to actually play the campaign? Then that means we would have to switch back to disk 2 just to play the multiplayer/coop? Is there a way to install everything and then just play from one disk like with Rage?

High resolution as compared to not installing the HD Texture disk. What is the Beta? We can all hope it is the low resolution install. But I doubt it, as much as I want repi to come in and tell me I have no faith and I am complete wrong :p

I thought the HD textures are only for campaign? Most games tone down the graphics for multiplayer to avoid lag so that would make sense.

I'm confused, would we need to install the textures from disk 2 and then pop in disk 1 to actually play the campaign? Then that means we would have to switch back to disk 2 just to play the multiplayer/coop? Is there a way to install everything and then just play from one disk like with Rage?

From what I was told about Rage's full install, it's only that you can play the campaign (discs 1 and 2) without switching discs. Disc 3 (multiplayer) requires a disc switch.

Why, I still have no idea as it makes zero sense.

From what I was told about Rage's full install, it's only that you can play the campaign (discs 1 and 2) without switching discs. Disc 3 (multiplayer) requires a disc switch.

Why, I still have no idea as it makes zero sense.

I'm pretty sure you have to have whatever disc you're currently playing in the console for RAGE. The "22GB Install" silliness was basically a misnomer. It works like previous multi-disc 360 games in that there's no benefit to having all three discs installed at once. Install disc one, play through disc one, delete disc one, install disc two, play through disc 2, delete disc 2, install disc 3, play multiplayer, delete disc three. You could have all three on your hard drive at once, but it doesn't change anything.

It sounds like this BF3 "HD texture" thing will work more like Forza 3's install disk. It also sounds like there isn't really an equivalent "HD texture pack" for the PS3. It just has a mandatory install that happens to include the equivalent textures to the HD option on the 360.

I'm pretty sure you have to have whatever disc you're currently playing in the console for RAGE. The "22GB Install" silliness was basically a misnomer. It works like previous multi-disc 360 games in that there's no benefit to having all three discs installed at once. Install disc one, play through disc one, delete disc one, install disc two, play through disc 2, delete disc 2, install disc 3, play multiplayer, delete disc three. You could have all three on your hard drive at once, but it doesn't change anything.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1587782&postcount=606

Had he gotten to the disc swap at that point? I've not seen any indication anywhere else suggesting you can play the disc 2 content without disc 2 in the drive.

I'm disappointed that there's no toilets in Operation Metro. There are sinks, hand dryers, and stalls, but no toilets. It might be a commentary on French hygiene?

Also I was hoping we'd know something about the story before the game comes out as that seems like the only part that's really unknown right now. They apparently really want to make it very serious and realistic but they haven't said much so far. When a videogame cites Generation Kill as an inspiration, you will get a little bit more scrutiny than Call of Duty games so hopefully it lives up to expectations.

All I can guess for now is that a lot of the story might be set in Iran...particularly speaking the areas around Tehran and then the city itself. The tank gameplay video mentions an area outside Tehran while the operation guillotine trailer and fault lines were in the city itself.

What will truly amaze me with the SP mode is if they can add some gameplay elements that make it worth replaying. Finding a few briefcases or changing the difficulty level are not enough.

I tried the 360 version finally today before the beta ends. I have been playing the PC version so the aside from PQ the biggest issue was aiming. You can really notice the aim assist, reduced recoil. It seems like "easy" mode enabled but trust me, it's needed on consoles or people would be turned off quickly. Going from a ~60fps to ~30fps was also really noticeable and made things unpleasant.

Having said that, if 360 is your only option, the game is actually fine to play and it'll be fun, no doubt. Dice did a great job overall.

The nicer visuals on the PC also let you spot proned distant snipers much better.

On that note, I've played the PC version a bit using the 360 controller and it works pretty well. For infantry and vehicles, the buttons and triggers map just like they do in the console version. Main problem I had was that I needed to invert my mouse controls to get the controller the way I like it. Makes it impossible to switch between mouse/kb and controller in a game. Hopefully, the retail version will support controller configs separately.

I'm disappointed that there's no toilets in Operation Metro. There are sinks, hand dryers, and stalls, but no toilets. It might be a commentary on French hygiene?

If it's for the French hygiene… it will be the reverse! Toilets, but no sinks, hand dryers, stails and naturally no soap… ;) The worse it's not to far from reality… :devilish:

And the metro look more like american than french, to clean!

Heh heh... thoughts on open beta:

http://kotaku.com/5848155/battlefie...certification-delays-and-post+release-support

Kotaku: So, how has it been, hearing some of the negative feedback from the Beta?

Patrick Bach: The only thing we can do is tell people that: "These are the things we have fixed since the beta." And also based on the feedback from the beta. But other than that… you need to let people play it. The problem with having a beta is that you hand out a product that is not done. Deliberately. You do it because you want to get feedback on not only what the players think, but also on how things are holding up, what can we read from the network traffic, how is everything holding up, how are all of the systems that are brand new holding up. You could argue that maybe we shouldn't do a beta."

It's a double-edged sword.

If we don't do [a beta], then we might have problems day one. So the only way to ensure that we have less problems day one is to have a beta. But if you have a beta (laughs) people will hate you, and think that you're stupid.

We get complaints like, "How can you guys miss obvious things like A, B, and C?" And we didn't miss it. We just weren't done with it. But we had to get it out so that we get results back, so we can fix it. The lead time when you do a beta is actually pretty long. You need to go through certification on consoles, and do a lot of things before you get it out. And since you want to get it out on all three platforms at the same time to avoid further whining… (chuckles)… it takes as long as the longest platform certification time.

"This was a real beta, and I don't think people are used to it. They get the product, and they think, "you have to entertain me," because it's an entertainment product."
How long is that?

Around a month and a half. Which means that when we're done with that beta, we say "Okay, this is it. Now let's go back and finish the game." When we got to the point [six weeks later] that we actually released the beta, the game was in completely different shape. We couldn't really tell people because then we'd have to go through the process again.

It sounds like certification hobbles the beta process somewhat.

Yes.

What's a way to make that better in the future?

One way of fixing the problem is… don't make betas. At least not open betas. Because often when you see betas, sometimes they are actually demos. But they call it a beta, to sound cool. This was a real beta, and I don't think people are used to it. They get the product, and they think, "you have to entertain me," because it's an entertainment product.

And it's like, "Well, it's a broken entertainment product, because we want your feedback." And they say, "Well, I understand that, but it's not polished enough!" And we say, "Well, that's exactly what we're talking about!"

So the challenge is: listen, but don't overreact. Understand that people are disappointed, but that you have to do it.

Or, don't do it. Don't make a beta. At least not an open one.

Its a lot to do with the fact that most 'beta' nowadays are usually demos released for publicity purpose more than actual beta testing.

Back