[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

Character models aside, I think it looks better than Bad Company 2 on consoles. Not by a lot, but I definitely see an improvement.

What I'm most curious about is the disparity between the destructible environments between all three versions, if any.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could play only one match , on the ps3, from which i was kicked out prematurely. Since then I haven't been able to get into any matches.
Graphics wise:
First impression: Jaggies abound underground and subHD.The game looks fine, it ain't too good and it ain't too bad. I am spoiled by KZ and UC2 MP's clean graphics, but a lot has to do with colour choices more than anything else here. This game can look much much better if they makethe colours better. The subway area does look very good in some areas where the art works, but mostly its a bland monochrome image one is looking at. Indoors sometimes remind me of Mirror's Edge.

Gameplay wise:
it takes too little bullets to kill someone for my taste. The primary reason I never play COD mp. But I loved BC2's MP, so once everything gets going in the maps, most prbably it 'll be fun. I'll decide when I get to actually play one full match. I still don'tknow how to melee, but I managed quite a few kills in the little time I got.People might choose MW3 for its 60 fps, as we are seeing a mindboggling display of graphics here !

Animations and voices felt really good in the little time I played.

I think BF3 is one of those games where the MP graphics would be significantly toned down compared to other games like crysis 2, UC2 or MW. Reason being it's incorporating a lot more features such as jets, choppers, vehicles, size of the map and of course destruction and all those things really chew up a ton of resources. Also judging the game from a single MP beta map doesn't help one bit, the campaign graphics should look superb even on consoles as the Operation guillotine trailer proved it.
Sometimes I wish Devs would release an up to date SP demo along with the Beta just to ease down the doubt :).

Jeez... I mean, really? :???: I'm so tempted to post some screen of BC & compares to BF3 right now...
It looks better,but worse in some.I'm mainly talking about gameplay and destruction though.I mean why can't I blow up a bush to prevent prone whores,or why is the map designed to not use destruction around the objective so can make a new path where defenders are not prone and camping every door or corner.:cry:

I think it's just the oddity of everybody expecting a graphical monster due to that PC footage

Who's everybody? Because I don't think anyone here is expecting PC type graphics.

No one is expecting parity with the PC version. I'd just be happy if the animation glitches, clipping issues, and maybe textures could be addressed. Otherwise it looks pretty good for a console game IMO.

It looks better,but worse in some.I'm mainly talking about gameplay and destruction though.I mean why can't I blow up a bush to prevent prone whores,or why is the map designed to not use destruction around the objective so can make a new path where defenders are not prone and camping every door or corner.:cry:

They are disabling terrain destruction if they haven't already in an upcoming patch because it is glitchy. Remember this is a beta.

IDK how the game looks for you console fellows, but I say it looks and runs great on my GTX260 + E6750.

Umm...how are the bigger maps going to work on the concsoles. I mean look at the Caspian Border map, this guy says that even with 40-50 guys it ain't that filled up. How are the puny number of 24 players going to have fun on such big maps :???: ?

Umm...how are the bigger maps going to work on the concsoles. I mean look at the Caspian Border map, this guy says that even with 40-50 guys it ain't that filled up. How are the puny number of 24 players going to have fun on such big maps :???: ?

Just like older BF games, maps are set to scale for how many players are in the game. So these maps will be scaled down for console versions.

Just like older BF games, maps are set to scale for how many players are in the game. So these maps will be scaled down for console versions.

Scale down in the sense some areas get locked out ?

BTW, just got play another match and I must say : A SUPERB GAME ! Loved it and now that I played at night without the glares and reflections from the sunlight outside, I must say the game looks good too :D ! Yes, it has lots of aliasing, and I wish it was true 720p, but the game looks great, no doubt !

Only problem is that sometimes the game turns into a prone+RPG spam :mad: , but its a minor annoyance in an otherwise superb game. Can't wait to get those damned vehicles in !

and did I say how amazing the audio is :p ! Even in my simple stereo setup, it just rocks !!!

They are disabling terrain destruction if they haven't already in an upcoming patch because it is glitchy. Remember this is a beta.

I don't think thats the problem because terrain destruction works just fine,in fact it's better than BC2 because you can dig deeper holes.I think you just can't blow up bushes for whatever crazy reason.Its really dumb when you can C4 a 9 foot deep hole in the dirt, but does nothing to the bushes!!

First impression: Jaggies abound underground and subHD.

Edit: It's not native 720p I was wrong. It has reduced vertical resolution so it is sub-HD.

The game is native 720p (1280 x 720) not sub-HD. I can tell because of the perfect 1:1 steps non-anti-aliased diagonal lines make on my native 720p monitor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think thats the problem because terrain destruction works just fine,in fact it's better than BC2 because you can dig deeper holes.I think you just can't blow up bushes for whatever crazy reason.Its really dumb when you can C4 a 9 foot deep hole in the dirt, but does nothing to the bushes!!

Interesting, I didn't notice that. Disappointing as you could blow all foliage up in BC2.

I finally got to play a few games of Rush. I think the negative hype is a bit overly dramatic. The lighting is the star of the show, very clearly superior to BC2 imo. The textures and destructability look about the same to me, and the foliage shadows have that horrible pixelated look they've had since BF2 on the PC. Overall, the game does have a bit of a "washed out" look, but still much better than the Crysis 2 demo imo.

The Metro map is not very good imo, in that it doesn't impart that "Battlefield" feeling. It seems more like a COD map to be honest. Not many "Battlefield" moments so far (except for all the spawn campers).

In summary, the game looks better than I was led to believe. Better (a lot in some ways) than BC2 from what I've seen.

The game is native 720p (1280 x 720) not sub-HD. I can tell because of the perfect 1:1 steps non-anti-aliased diagonal lines make on my native 720p monitor.

You'd need to see 45 pixels worth of a diagonal line to see that one of the steps is blurred across two pixels (704p), which is going to be made even less obvious due to the post-process edge filters being used on either platform. It's a rather infinitesimal difference for the final image.

Huh, I hadn't noticed that. Strange since in BC2 you could blow the crap out of trees and other foliage.

Back