[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

Thanks for the explanation! I haven't noticed this with other AO systems (crysis, etc). Do they work differently or did I just miss something?

The AO bothered me as well. It's probably because they are using it to modulate direct illumination, which isn't physically correct, but some some people prefer it. Given their real-time GI, they should just modulate that instead..

Multiplayer is a completely different issue, there you can rely on other humans to create meaningful interaction. For now, the most tempting alternative in single player is heavy scripting and pre-recorded dialogue.

Aren't all Battlefield games pretty much exclusively multi-player, and this will be the first time one features a single player campaign? As such, it seems they could have chosen a sandbox style vs. a scripted style of gameplay. I get the impression Operation Flashpoint games are less successful commercially precisely because of their sim/sandbox nature.

Ah, just realized the Bad Company off-shoot introduced single-player...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield:_Bad_Company

Last edited by a moderator:
That teaser is about a tightly controlled setpiece, I wouldn't use it to judge how good the AI is in general or how dynamic the gameplay is going to be. But I don't think they'll give you too many options to find your own path through the level as far as shooting your own entrances/exits through buildings. I'm guessing you just have to switch cover a lot more.

Visually, it reminds me a lot of the last couple Ghost Recon games. I just really hope the lighting translates well to the console versions.

Forgive me if im wrong, but wasnt the 2 previous bf games open world singleplayer? I know the first one was (as i tried it for 30 minutes), the second one i never bothered to boot singleplayer.

Forgive me if im wrong, but wasnt the 2 previous bf games open world singleplayer? I know the first one was (as i tried it for 30 minutes), the second one i never bothered to boot singleplayer.

Did the first even had a single player all i knew was it dropped me in a map and you fought with Ai teammates against Ai enemies.

I think the first one was but the second one was totally linear. It had some pretty wide open battlefields but you were always basically going from point A to B except for the last mission that had a pretty wide open desert with multiple objectives. What they've shown of the game so far makes it look like it's going to be in the city a lot.

Graphics look really good but I'm not liking the heavily scripted single player. It's as if they designed the game for noobs.

Loving the graphics and the scripted nature of the campaign. I personally can't stand single player games without a heavy story focus and tons of scripting to make things interesting and cinematic. One of the main problems I had with the first Crysis was that it was so unfocused and just got boring after a while.

Regards,
SB

At the 9:30 mark, I notice the lack of animation on the LMG's belt fed ammo. It just sits there. I only noticed it, because I'm use to seeing animation move smoothly in Killzone.

Heavy scripting is not required for good story telling, it just makes the player feel stupid by spoon feeding them dumbing down and restricting gameplay freedom. Heavy scripting is analogous to heavy use of QTEs.

I don't mind heavy scripting either, as long as there's enough gameplay mixed in.

Videogames are a source of entertainment, so as long as I'm entertained for long enough to justify the price of the game, then I'm satisfied.

Then you should go watch a movie instead of playing games....lol. Or maybe stick to games like Dragons Lair...lol.
Lolololololololololol!!!

Maybe you should play something that isn't Battlefield 3, seeing as how it's going to be heavily scripted, whether you like it or not.

Too much dumbing down for the NOOBS....

"What am I supposed to do? Where am I supposed to go? Oh I know just push UP on the controller and just sit back and let the FUNNEL effect take over!":LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Back