[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

The soldier throwing the grenade at the end isn't holding a grenade (3:35 in the above video). Psych! :p

Err, why are people assuming this cant be done on consoles?

I ask again, name recent PC games with large improvements on PC? Hell, aren't people bitching about Crysis 2 PC for that very reason? It's console trash, the MP looks just like 360, etc?

There's not a single big budget game that looks hugely better on PC this gen imo. So, this is going to be the first?

Further, if this IS actually aimed at PC, then you must assume that Dice are some pretty awful coders. Because for a top line PC game, this would be terrible. Dont forget you're dealing with TEN TIMES the power on PC. Does this look like it's harnessing 10X the power of a console to you? Nope, too me it obviously looks like a super good console game, not a new generation.

Nope, I'm going to go ahead and say this is for the most part what it will look like on X360, in 720P (ish, maybe, given Crysis 2). I'll stake it down here :p

Though I'm sure when it does come out looking roughly the same on console, people are going to quibble over minor deficiencies (as usual in PC vs Console comparisons, IE Bulletstorm for a recent example) and claim theyre a mountain and therefore I was wrong anyway. I'll be able to live knowing I'm right though :p

Seeing as how BF3 seems to be more optimized for DX11 than your average console/PC game, I don't think it's going to be the usual console -> PC gap, I think it's going to be much bigger. Especially when you consider the difference in scale between the two versions (64 vs 24)

I ask again, name recent PC games with large improvements on PC? Hell, aren't people bitching about Crysis 2 PC for that very reason? It's console trash, the MP looks just like 360, etc?

I disagree, there are games like GTA4 and Just Cause 2 where I find the PC graphics to be a generation ahead of the console versions. Even BFBC2 looks noticably better on the PC but not a generational leap. Any game that uses higher res textures in the PC version looks way better.

Though I'm sure when it does come out looking roughly the same on console, people are going to quibble over minor deficiencies (as usual in PC vs Console comparisons, IE Bulletstorm for a recent example) and claim theyre a mountain and therefore I was wrong anyway. I'll be able to live knowing I'm right though :p

Well, it's not like the trailer is without its faults either. The motion blur, various textures. I think people just aren't used to really good lighting from an art or tech standpoint. *ahem* I think it's the animation work that sells the trailer mostly, and I'd be hardpressed to believe that's a performance issue.

There's not a single big budget game that looks hugely better on PC this gen imo. So, this is going to be the first?

Further, if this IS actually aimed at PC, then you must assume that Dice are some pretty awful coders. Because for a top line PC game, this would be terrible. Dont forget you're dealing with TEN TIMES the power on PC. Does this look like it's harnessing 10X the power of a console to you? Nope, too me it obviously looks like a super good console game, not a new generation.

Nope, I'm going to go ahead and say this is for the most part what it will look like on X360, in 720P (ish, maybe, given Crysis 2). I'll stake it down here :p

I think it's readily obvious why both this (in your opinion) and Crysis 2 on PC don't look like you'd expect a bleeding edge game built entirely for PC to look... consoles are right now where the money is.

In terms of effects driven by the technology, Frostbite 2 and CE3 are cutting edge. I'd argue that BF3 and C2 are what are not fully taking full advantage of the tech their running on, and i'd also say that it's the consoles that are the reason why. Why should DICE or Crytek spend any more money producing super duper hi quality assets that the consoles can't even reasonably hope to render when they'll make far more money selling both those games on the consoles than they will on PC.

It's obvious really ;-)

I think it's readily obvious why both this (in your opinion) and Crysis 2 on PC don't look like you'd expect a bleeding edge game built entirely for PC to look... consoles are right now where the money is.

In terms of effects driven by the technology, Frostbite 2 and CE3 are cutting edge. I'd argue that BF3 and C2 are what are not fully taking full advantage of the tech their running on, and i'd also say that it's the consoles that are the reason why. Why should DICE or Crytek spend any more money producing super duper hi quality assets that the consoles can't even reasonably hope to render when they'll make far more money selling both those games on the consoles than they will on PC.

It's obvious really ;-)

BFBC2 sold really well on PC. Considering they can make the same profits selling on Steam with a fraction of the sales they would require on a console, their decision to focus on PC makes a lot of sense.

Except there is a quite big quality difference, especially in motion... even comparing to low setting there is.

Goes for various other games to, BFBC2 from DICE being one.

Well, it's not like the trailer is without its faults either. The motion blur, various textures. I think people just aren't used to really good lighting from an art or tech standpoint. *ahem* I think it's the animation work that sells the trailer mostly, and I'd be hardpressed to believe that's a performance issue.

Yep, I think its the lighting and animation which are making people go crazy.
Its really something remarkable.

Because either it's completely lifelike, or playable and responsive to the user's inputs.

Because either it's completely lifelike, or playable and responsive to the user's inputs.

True, and this raises the question about whether there will be a big disparity between AI animations in single-player and player animations in multi-player.

I would love a FPS game with "lifelike" player movement and animation. But I think that would not make for a popular game.

Dice talks a bit about console

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1245/battlefield-3-eyes-on-with-dice-gameplay-details?o=2#listing

It’s seriously impressive stuff, but even a blind man could see that it clearly wasn’t running on an Xbox 360. So what about us mere mortals who don’t own a Skynet-style PC? How will our console cope?

“We knew that people would think that this demo was running on PC, but the good thing is that it’s all based on streaming,” Bach tells us. “We have a super-powerful streaming pipeline, which makes it possible to stream high-end data through the game so every frame we look at will have fresh data. This means you don’t have to load everything at once; you don’t have to fill the level at the start. In BC2, you have 512 megs of memory; you load it, you play it, done. The objects you saw at the end needed to be loaded at the start, and you think, ‘It took me an hour to get to this point where I can see it, so what’s the point?’

“That’s the whole magic with this. We can have 512 megs every hundred metres if we wanted to, as we can just flush the data out [and replace it] as you move along. I can promise you that the console versions will still look amazing because of the core technology. If you have a 360, we want to use that machine to the maximum.”

What does that even mean? They're going to run off the hard drive or something?

True, and this raises the question about whether there will be a big disparity between AI animations in single-player and player animations in multi-player.

I read somewhere they have separate animation sets for SP/MP for exactly this reason

I read somewhere they have separate animation sets for SP/MP for exactly this reason

I'm guessing there are still going to be some nice improvements for reload animations, grenade throwing, or other non-twitched based actions like crawling while prone.

Back