Cricket World Cup

zed

Legend
pre tournament odds (indias a good bet @$4.00)

India $4.00
South Africa $5.00
Australia $5.50
Sri Lanka $5.50
England $9.00
Pakistan $12.00
New Zealand $15.00
West Indies $20.00
Bangladesh $50.00
Zimbabwe $400.00
Ireland $750.00
Canada $1000.00
Holland $1000.00
Kenya $1000.00

I wouldnt be shocked if NZ dont make it past the group stages, As long as the ozzies dont win Im happy ;)

canada aint a surprise as its part of the commenwealth (thus closer ties than a lot of countries to the UK)
Perhaps what is surprising is that theyre good enuf to make it to the WK (but the bottom four are just in it to make up the numbers) Im a bad sad that afganistan didnt make it to the WK.
Heres the canadian team
Canada (probable): 1 John Davison, 2 Hiral Patel, 3 Nitish Kumar, 4 Ashish Bagai (capt & wk), 5 Jimmy Hansra, 6 Rizwan Cheema, 7 Zubin Surkari, 8 Khurram Chohan, 9 Balaji Rao, 10 Henry Osinde, 11 Harvir Baidwan
Looking at the names, you can tell its ppled with dudes from the subcontinent ancestory
in the same mode, NZ prolly has in some capacity a gridiron (american football) team, most likely filled with ex-yanks or ppl just interested in the game.

FWIW heres my predictions (u can fill yours in also)
http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc_cricket_worldcup2011/content/site/worldcup2011/predictor/index.html
cricWK.png

nah, our bowling is too weak to win the cup.
well it is the weakest part of the team
true its not the oz teams of the last 2or3 WKs where there were no weak spots

A/ theres a lot of luck in cricket compared to other games
B/ home country advantage is worth more in cricket than other games

8 teams is too few, true you have the whitewashes, eg NZ winning in 8 overs the other day :D
But the only way for the game to grow is if you give other countries opportunities.
ppl said (years ago) not including sri lanka or bangledesh, which would of been a mistake

I agree Zed. Whats the point in a Cricket world cup if not all capable nations are able to play. If players from places like Canada are unable to play on the international stage even once every 4 years then how are they able to develop to the standard of international cricket as we see from the 8 major nations?

Theres the fact also kenya unbelievably made the worldcup semi-finals in 2003
btw I'ld say theres 9 nations now, bangledesh beating nz recently 5-0 means theyre not easybeats (then again it was only the kiwis)

Mind numbing violence from NZ today. I don't recall more runs being scored EVER against a major team in the last 5 overs. Or any stretch of 5 overs either.

Mind numbing violence from NZ today. I don't recall more runs being scored EVER against a major team in the last 5 overs. Or any stretch of 5 overs either.

Yeah I was up late here to watch it, I got VERY drunk because the rule is to take a shot of Black Sambuca every six hit. By the way the highest two scoring overs in the competition were 25 and 24 respectively before this game, the 47th over had 28 runs scored off of it and the 49th was 30!

I hear Zeds the guy who travels around the world watching the New Zealand cricket team whilst doing work on his laptop.

It was a totally amazing game and Ross Taylor did a good job of making Pakistan pay for dropping him twice in the same over with two easy catches. I hear hes quite popular in India due to his performances in the local leagues. I also hear that Vettori was named one of the two sexiest men in the competition alongside Dhoni by Bollywood actors.

Guptil did an awesome job too!

P.S. is it insulting to call a Pakistani a 'Paki'? We do it in NZ all the time.

P.P.S. It was also great to here the local crowd supporting US. It probably went a long way, infact the team probably never got as good an atmosphere in their home matches.

any "unusual" result with pakistan has to be treated with a wry grin.
Actually this WC is turning into perhaps the worst ever, boring as. eg yesterday india vs nederland was the sole match.

heres my proposal for a better WK. 15 teams, grouped by current rankings

group A. top 4 go through
oz
india
sri lanka
south africa
england

group B. top 2 go through
pakistan
new zealand
west indies
bangladesh
ireland

group C. top 1 goes through
zimbabwe
holland
kenya
canada
afganistan

each team plays the others once in a group, next stage each team plays the other 6 & then SF + F.
Each day you have 3 games ( they should be close matchups unlike the current mismatches)
This woiuld be a far more exciting tournament

New Zealand just got the highest score in the tournament, 358 runs. A century for McCullum and a 74 for Ross Taylor. Excellent stuff!

Vs Canada.

just give the kiwis the cup already & be done with it
droping the weak teams is an idiot idea, look england have lost to bangledesh + ireland.
If you never allow weaker teams to compete they will never be bale to compete! hmmm
look at italy beating france in the 6 nations rugby a couple of days ago, many ppl said a few years ago, italy shouldnt be allowed to join the comp cause theyre just gonna be the whipping boys

just give the kiwis the cup already & be done with it
droping the weak teams is an idiot idea, look england have lost to bangledesh + ireland.
If you never allow weaker teams to compete they will never be bale to compete! hmmm
look at italy beating france in the 6 nations rugby a couple of days ago, many ppl said a few years ago, italy shouldnt be allowed to join the comp cause theyre just gonna be the whipping boys

I agree. Give US the cup!

Anyway I also agree, keep the bunny teams in the competition. I remember when Bangaladesh were no hopers in cricket and all of the sudden we now have another viable international team albeit somewhat weak. For the game to survive and prosper we need to spread it around the world.

All right folks. It can't get bigger than this. Aus knocked out.

It's INDIA vs PAKISTAN in the world cup.

AGAIN. :yep2:

And we have beaten them every single time. Ain't that good news?:cool:

Nice to see ozzie out

And we have beaten them every single time. Ain't that good news?
in world cups its
india 4 pakistan 0
but in all ODIs
its
india 46 pakistan 69

Though with the paki's you never know, depends on how the bookies would like to see the result ;)

Back