Internet Explorer 9 release candidate available for download

The only conclusion I've been able to draw so far is that it hasn't drawn me away from Chrome yet. Just installed Firefox 4 on my XP work laptop, but that doesn't look very convincing either.

You can't drag and drop addresses that are not linked though, every other browser supports it yet IE doesn't. MS products always have a major mistake every time they release something, by the time they fix it it is always generations late.

You can't drag and drop addresses that are not linked though, every other browser supports it yet IE doesn't. MS products always have a major mistake every time they release something, by the time they fix it it is always generations late.

True, but you can copy the address that isn't linked, righ click anywhere on the page and select "go to copied address"
Sure it's extra hassle but still you can do it

edit:
It's just a matter of taste really, I for example never use the drag'n'drop function nor the unlinked address drag'n'drop no matter what browser I'm on

The only conclusion I've been able to draw so far is that it hasn't drawn me away from Chrome yet. Just installed Firefox 4 on my XP work laptop, but that doesn't look very convincing either.

XP?
Just... why?

I've noticed tab switching not working correctly even without the CPU being loaded at all (like, 1-2% sum total load from all processes running in the system, including IE.)

So it's not (neccessarily) load-related, there's also something else going on if load is indeed a factor at all.

Also, the disordered UI is driving me absolutely nucking futs with the way every UI component is spread out as far away as possible from every other UI component. Last straw is the file download popup which appears at the BOTTOM of the window where it hides in my peripheral vision, making me wonder why the hell my download isn't starting... What amateur designed this UI, and what incompetent retard of a project manager okayed it?

Yup, the UI is horrible compared to IE 7/8, IMO. Those are by far the best so far. It still annoys the ever living frack out of me that I have to search in the freaking address bar and they took away the perfectly functional and easier to use search box.

The download not popping up in a window wouldn't have been so bad if they put it at the top of the page rather than the bottom also. It would be a lot more noticeable up there similar to the pop-up warning in IE 7/8.

IMO, they should fire whoever designed the IE 9 UI. It's just horrible. Then again I have a feeling IE 9 was designed primarily to look good on a smartphone, and they kept that look in Windows in order to keep a unified appearance. If so, even more reason to hate smartphones. :p

Regards,
SB

Download the bing bar. I really like it. Adds a box for search and I've already got 20 bucks at amazon for searching.

I have the Bing bar but I only turn it on for about 10 minutes a day. Enough time to get all the points from searching, and then I disable it.

It's not even remotely a good replacement of the search box functionality.

Regards,
SB

Can the bing bar store internet bookmarks, like the google bar? The google bar is p:ing me off mightily by double-drawing the graphics on its buttons whenever there's a flash object embedded in a page in one of the currently opened tabs... Also, google's method of silently autoupdating and auto-enabling tracking and spyware-like features without telling me or giving me a choice is also a great source of irritation.

You could always just enable the built in Favorites Bar of IE if you needed an always available place for bookmarks. You can also embed folders with favorites in that bar if you needed to. It was one way for me to get the Favorites menu back onto the left side of the window (like IE 7/8) instead of the right side.

Regards,
SB

Indeed, in all my browsers I always have a link bar with folders of dropdown bookmarks. Far better for easy access and organization that the bookmark menus they include.

Just installed the latest Firefox (4.0) and it runs the canvas test at 94fps, vs 60fps in IE9 and 31fps in Chrome.

Babel-17 said:
slashdot has a link that shows off some hardware acceleration.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/03/15/1331231/IE9-Released-Media-Has-Opinions#comments

Here's the link.

http://www.smashcat.org/av/canvas_test/

I'm getting 97 fps with Mozilla 4 RC, core clock at 400 MHz, gpu usage jumping up and down around 20%.

IE 9 gets me 288 fps with the core clock at 915 MHz, gpu usage at 16% now though before it was a steady 27% (hmmm).

Having two browsers open might be messing up the results though I keep only instance of that page open at a time.

Factory overclocked HD 6870.

This one, posted earlier in this thread.

IE9:
242-243 FPS, have tons of tabs open though if it affects this
HD6870 seems to be at 300/300MHz half the time I open it, 775/1050MHz the othertime, and sometimes it just jumps back to 300/300MHz. Doesn't seem to affect FPS at all, though.

FF4:
98-99 FPS
HD6870 seems to stay at 775/1050MHz, jumped even to 900/1050MHz for a while.

Lol... GPU-accelerated software can be kind of dangerous at times. I just had windows bluescreen on me from starting IE9 and trying to switch between tabs... First the OS stuttered for the briefest moment, then the mouse pointer (and probably everything else) froze for a couple secs, the screen went black (probably VPU restore kicking in), the screen garbled into blocks, and then crash... BSOD in ATIKMPAG.SYS.

Never seen that happen before. Luckily I had nothing important running so it didn't really matter THIS time. Hopefully my PC won't be making a habit out of it, or it could get annoying.

Just out of curiousity are you overclocking your GPU or video card memory? I think you are one of the ones with a 6950 flashed to a 6970? If so, that'll heavily overclock the memory which might be causing the problem.

Regards,
SB

I've never, ever had a BSOD on my PC, with IE9 or FF4, or using any Direct2D/DirectWrite titles. Remember Vista/W7 is using your GPU all the time. Your BSOD likely has other faults other than the supposed "risk" of running GPU-accelerated software, that's just silly.

I've never, ever had a BSOD on my PC, with IE9 or FF4, or using any Direct2D/DirectWrite titles. Remember Vista/W7 is using your GPU all the time. Your BSOD likely has other faults other than the supposed "risk" of running GPU-accelerated software, that's just silly.

That depends if he has a 6950 flashed to a 6970, he's got 2 GB of vram. How many games or the OS alone is going to use all of that? On the other hand, depending on how many windows/tabs he has opened (along with type of content) there's a chance he'll hit every single byte of memory on that card. I know I do when using my 5870. When I get to that point I actually have to wait briefly as it unload video memory in order to play video or games. And then a bit of pause as it reloads web page data from main memory into video memory when I make those tabs/windows active.

Regards,
SB

Back