MSI's RMA process

My daughter walks like that. When I'm gaming in the basement it sounds like an elephant running down the hall (she's barely 80lbs)

Had to reseat the card again last night. Came home from work, house was empty, logged in, message pops up that Windows recovered from an unexpected shutdown. Tried to launch anything 3D, no go. Checked the system log and it'd crashed at 4:03. Wife comes home, asked her if she was on the computer, yeah, right before leaving around 4. She was probably in a hurry trying to get out the door with the kids and was most likely stomping around.

Get her these:
taosstrapblack.jpg

Can't you raise the case slightly on top of some hard foam sheets or something else to provide even a slight resistance to vibration?

Get her these:

Heh, at 5'2" she might like those.

Can't you raise the case slightly on top of some hard foam sheets or something else to provide even a slight resistance to vibration?

I'm going to have to. I was hoping that warning her to be more conscious of the issue might make her step a little more lightly while in the loft, but apparently not.

...or gluing something to the side of the case so it keeps pressure on the card? Like a foam / stress ball or part of a door-bottom rubber bulb weather seal. Maybe even a slice of foam pipe wrap insulation.

I used to have a case with an extra rail you could screw into the side, and it came with a load of PCI clamps that would screw into the rail and press the cards down into their slots and hold them extra steady. If you had big cards, or were moving your case regularly, it stopped the PCI cards moving. This is exactly what you need.

Well, this is a bit embarrassing, but MSI's tech support suggested I update my mobo BIOS if there's a newer revision available. I check and my current version was from last April, so I flash it and no more problems. I also reseated the card, so one of those two fixes resolved the problem (I'm leaning toward the BIOS).

Heh, was reading back up through this thread and saw this from March. How wrong I was on that reseat vs BIOS fix.

Reseated in Sept, once again in Nov, and then last week the kid were in bed, I was playing the Diablo 3 beta, and the wife came up to the loft to get something off the printer and BWAM!! right next to the computer, shook the entire loft. I stopped playing and just looked at her and she was clueless what she'd just done. Sure enough, had to reseat it the following night. The printer is now in the basement next to her scrapbooking desk and the new laptop I bought a few weeks ago and she's completely off my computer.

So I come home from work last night and notice my chair is pulled out. No biggie, log on, fire up the D3 beta, and guess what. . .so I ask the wife to come upstairs and ask her why the chair was moved. Oh, I swept earlier today. Uh huh. I swear I stepped lightly in the loft. Uh huh.

She wants me to just buy a new video card, so we agreed she'll stay entirely out of the loft and I'll buy a new board once the next gen stuff trickles out next year.

Once you look away she'll attack your desk the same way Will Ferrell attacked his brother's drum set in Step brothers, which for some reason popped to my head :)

edit: I quess this is NSFW for those who are afraid at work.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're handy and have the tools (you can borrow mine) you could reinforce that loft...

If you're handy and have the tools (you can borrow mine) you could reinforce that loft...

We bought a playset and had it put together for the kids back in 2010. Posted a few pics of it on my FB and a friend who's known me since 2nd grade wrote, "When did you become handy?" Sort of answers that option.

Discovered a few months ago that the loft's power is on the same circuit as the kitchen appliances. And apparently that breaker is going bad because whenever the wife has the oven on and fires up the microwave, guess who loses power. About trashed my Win7 install last night, powered it back up after flipping the breaker and it would load and then hard freeze after a few minutes. Booted into safe mode and the system log was chock full of errors showing various processes timing out when trying to start. Was sort of a domino effect with the various dependencies. So I booted off the Win7 disc, ran the memory check in case the repeated breaker trips had caused a mini spike and damaged it, and then ran chkdsk, rebooted, and it's worked fine since.

So I just bought a APC UPS off of Amazon that will arrive Friday. Either that or a divorce lawyer. Next is replacing the 570 at some point this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back