NVIDIA Maxwell Speculation Thread

Now while the GM204-A1 die is based on the 28nm process, and as I have previously mentioned before sources inside the industry tell me Nvidia is thinking about porting the circuit to 20nm in 2015.

wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-gtx-titan-x-coming/

How many chances that this happens, in your opinion guys?

About 0% since they said 20nm. Now if they had said 16FinFet, that would actually be believable.

Now while the GM204-A1 die is based on the 28nm process, and as I have previously mentioned before sources inside the industry tell me Nvidia is thinking about porting the circuit to 20nm in 2015.

wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-gtx-titan-x-coming/

How many chances that this happens, in your opinion guys?

Well, they'd be a lot more likely to do that if they need to to keep the performance crown, so a lot of it depends on what AMD brings to the table.

551mm^2 for GM200. :sigh: No.

Not necessarily, in hardware.fr tests anno2070 had the same effect.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/928-7/consommation-efficacite-energetique.html

You can run into this kind of extra power consumption in many games actually as Gigabyte boards keep their highest boost clock in every case (even in Furmark :eek:). They increased significantly the TDP value in the bios, which is also the GPU Boost power target.

GTX 970 ref TDP : 150W
GTX 980 ref TDP : 180W
Gigabyte GTX 970 TDP : 250W
Gigabyte GTX 980 TDP : 300W

Obviously Gigabyte wanted to ensure the best possible performances in demanding cases but I'm not sure this perf improvement is worth the extra noise. Would have been better to provide this configuration as an optional one.

I also got those bios values for the Asus boards which are much more reasonable :

Asus GTX 970 TDP : 163.46W
Asus GTX 980 TDP : 195.14W

Makes me wonder if anyone is going to release a reference board with reference TDP. Or if all the OEMs are going to release with the higher TDPs to make sure performance doesn't go down.

Hopefully, it doesn't turn out to be a case of cherry picked reference boards for reviewers, but OEMs have to increase TDP to hit the same performance.

Regards,
SB

Makes me wonder if anyone is going to release a reference board with reference TDP.

Well, let me muddy the waters:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814132033

970 w/2GB? and a power supply?

This is probably not reference TDP, but I bet it will never ship in this configuration given the restricted airflow on the way out (I don't see that config on MSI's website). It's interesting that it existed long enough to be photo[graphed/shopped]:
http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=102247

Wow the 970 is priced very well and looks to be a great performer with decent headroom and power/heat characteristics. The MSI Gaming looks to be a winner. This is the first Nvidia card in a long long time that is seriously making me consider switching. With moving to triple screen gaming, my 7870 just doesn't cut it anymore and at $350 it's very tempting.

I think my last Nvidia card was a temporary 8800GT.

It is priced to sell that's for sure. If my GTX670 wasn't handling everything so well I'd definitely go for a 970. I'm kind of hoping Dragon Age or Witcher III will stress the 670 so I can have a reason to splurge :p

However I'm sure there will be a 970Ti or something with 14-15 SMMs enabled and possibly higher clocks, so waiting isn't a terrible idea. Kind of bums me out that they cut 3 SMMs on the 970.

Have my doubts about Dragon Age but the Witcher III should surely push your 670 to its limits.

If Nvidia can achieve that level of performance/price ratio on 28nm imagine what they'll achieve on 14nm. I'm waiting on sub-£150 5 teraflop card single gpus.

Last edited by a moderator:
THIS on CK1
will ask for more than 5TF. :)

Watching that it's interesting just how much input lag we can adjust to. Watch when it shows the in game steering wheel which reflects the player's input and compare it to the player's actual movements on the RL steering wheel. So very interesting.

Regards,
SB

Back