NVIDIA Maxwell Speculation Thread

Those UE4 videos are beyond impressive. I wonder when we can expect the first games that really use that stuff though?

Not really sure though based on the article I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the DX12 collaboration efforts in the Maxwell driver just released.

:?: What do you mean?

Don't quite understand what you're trying to say. If they wanted it a year and a half earlier they would've bought a 780 Ti for $699.

Of course they didn't want it then because they thought that the next generation would give them a better increase on their card's performance. 100$ vs. a year and half of flagship performance doesn't sound that favorable to the latter.
If they didn't find it worthwhile to upgrade to a gtx780, why would they do so to a gtx980?

Of course they didn't want it then because they thought that the next generation would give them a better increase on their card's performance. 100$ vs. a year and half of flagship performance doesn't sound that favorable to the latter. If they didn't find it worthwhile to upgrade to a gtx780, why would they do so to a gtx980?
Let's imagine that yesterday's release was a pure mid-end release. And that I'm a price conscious buyer who like to get good performance but not for top dollar. I have a GTX670. Let's imagine that $350 is about the most I'm willing to spend. I'd think $330 for 95% performance of last years top dog would be a great deal.

People don't think GTX980 is an amazing deal. It's the 970 they (and I) are crazy about.

Let's imagine that yesterday's release was a pure mid-end release. And that I'm a price conscious buyer who like to get good performance but not for top dollar. I have a GTX670. Let's imagine that $350 is about the most I'm willing to spend. I'd think $330 for 95% performance of last years top dog would be a great deal.

People don't think GTX980 is an amazing deal. It's the 970 they (and I) are crazy about.

Also imagine that the GTX 980 has a $100-150 (we're the best) markup within its normal retail price of $549. It seems to make sense at $399-$449 as that is a much more reasonable markup next to its capabilities.

Nvidia has the best card on the market, so they're making you pay top dollar for it.

And that 95% level of performance is achieved using MSAA. With 2nd Gen Maxwell, one can soon make use of MFAA which is ~ 30% faster in comparison to MSAA with allegedly comparable image quality.

And that 95% level of performance is achieved using MSAA. With 2nd Gen Maxwell, one can soon make use of MFAA which is ~ 30% faster in comparison to MSAA with allegedly comparable image quality.
I'm very skeptical about this MFAA thing: anything that does temporal filtering is highly suspect. It's probably fine for static images but I don't see how it can work anything that moves.

Nvidia has the best card on the market, so they're making you pay top dollar for it.
And once there is an even faster model, they can add another $150-$200 to end up with $750, just like before. The 980 is not attractive to those who already had the best (780Ti). But if many people are willing to pay $1000 for a Titan/$750 for a 780Ti, then there must be many as well who want to pay $750 for something that's, say, 30% faster than a 780Ti. If they'd priced the 980 at $450, it'd be harder to ask $750...

Of course they didn't want it then because they thought that the next generation would give them a better increase on their card's performance. 100$ vs. a year and half of flagship performance doesn't sound that favorable to the latter.

If they didn't find it worthwhile to upgrade to a gtx780, why would they do so to a gtx980?

I wouldn't presume to know everyone's motivations and criteria for spending their own money. There are any number of reasons why someone didn't purchase a 780 but is now in the market for a 980.

The 980 is on average 60% faster than a 680 and overclocks much better as well. It's a pretty meaty upgrade.

If it is not the flagship then it shouldn't have such a high price. For the slight performance it gives over the 970, it should cost less.

The thing is you're comparing it to the wrong card. It isn't meant to be a 780 Ti replacement. That will come later this year. Note the name of the GPU itself. GM204...

I have a gtx780 now and hope to return to the past with the full line-up from the start, I do not understand (from user point of view) this trend "a hiccup" and I hope that the nvidia ends with this approach of using midrange chip for vga "top"

I'm very skeptical about this MFAA thing: anything that does temporal filtering is highly suspect. It's probably fine for static images but I don't see how it can work anything that moves.
It seems like it would be difficult to make this work in the drivers, but temporal AA was mentioned multiple times at Siggraph this year. Epic did a presentation on it and they use it in the Infiltrator demo.

Of course a game knows more about the data it's filtering than the driver so it has an advantage. Apparently a filter like Gaussian is necessary for temporal stability and decreasing motion aliasing is more important than spatial resolution. At least from Epic's standpoint.

I expect MFAA to look good at times and have artifacts at other times. It will be interesting to see how well it works.

I have a gtx780 now and hope to return to the past with the full line-up from the start, I do not understand (from user point of view) this trend "a hiccup" and I hope that the nvidia ends with this approach of using midrange chip for vga "top"

What's so hard to understand? In the past they could rely on more advanced chip manufacturing to increase performance. Given what nVidia has accomplished on 28nm you should be thrilled. We should hope that AMD follows suit.

When is the last time we got that kind of perf/watt or perf/mm increase from architecture alone?

The 970/980 SKUs are replacements for GTX680/670 at best. For a GTX780 replacement you'd have to wait for the high end GK110 successor codenamed GM200 probably due to arrive some time next year.

GM204 is a performance and not a midrange chip.

The Gigabyte Gaming card has 3 DP. No sweet reference cooler though :(.

Yeah, that card is neither small, nor priced to move. I'm not sure it'd even fit in my case!
Going to have to check out Palit or PNY or some-such. Unfortunately all mini-DP, but :shrug:

What's so hard to understand? In the past they could rely on more advanced chip manufacturing to increase performance. Given what nVidia has accomplished on 28nm you should be thrilled. We should hope that AMD follows suit.

When is the last time we got that kind of perf/watt or perf/mm increase from architecture alone?

I'm not saying that gm204 isn't amazing in performance/watt (970 in the performance/price too), I'm saying that I preferred as it once was (before Kepler and TMSC problems), when came out the top gpu and then the other, according to the scheme "from top to low". if you look at it from the point of view of the "entusiasth"* perhaps you'll understand what I mean. Amd do still in this way.

*also from the point of view of the "non entusiasth" I do not think that is a correct policy, paying $ 500 a gpu that otherwise you would find in the range of $ 300 and $ 300 a gpu that you would find in the range of $ 200

The 970/980 SKUs are replacements for GTX680/670 at best. For a GTX780 replacement you'd have to wait for the high end GK110 successor codenamed GM200 probably due to arrive some time next year.

GM204 is a performance and not a midrange chip.

Yes i know that, and i can't understand why they do not expect to have ready GM200 (is said to have made ​​the tape out shortly after gm204 right?) and give each gpu its rightful place (and price?)

*also from the point of view of the "non entusiasth" I do not think that is a correct policy, paying $ 500 a gpu that otherwise you would find in the range of $ 300 and $ 300 a gpu that you would find in the range of $ 200.

What policy is that? Competition determines pricing just as it always has. If AMD beats the 980 for $500 then the price will drop. What other reason would nVidia have for selling a x104 part for $500+.

Back