NVIDIA Maxwell Speculation Thread

(I wish future GPU architectures also stayed on 28nm: this is so much more interesting!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very, very nice. If the Luxmark scores are legit then that's a major comeback.
The improvement should be mostly because of the caching, considering the compute deficit of GTX980 compared to 780Ti. Now if only NV could make their mind and polish their OCL run-time.

The improvement should be mostly because of the caching, considering the compute deficit of GTX980 compared to 780Ti. Now if only NV could make their mind and polish their OCL run-time.

That deficit is very much application specific. The 780 Ti requires much more ILP to hit peak utilization. In workloads with few opportunities to dual-issue math instructions the 980 has a ~40% advantage.

That deficit is very much application specific. The 780 Ti requires much more ILP to hit peak utilization. In workloads with few opportunities to dual-issue math instructions the 980 has a ~40% advantage.
How is that different in Maxwell, since both architectures are dual-issue?

I'm interested though to know about Freesync support, or in other terms full Displayport 1.2a support.

Tom Peterson's talk on G-Sync back on August 22 (youtube/pcper) was pretty explicit about having "no plans to support that [1.2a optional extensions / adaptive sync]" (51:37). Separately he also mentioned that "obviously we're [NVidia's] looking at that [multiple DP outs] for future products."

The $329 MSRP for 970 ($549 980) stated by PCPOP looks like a bargain, comparing earlier NV prices.
Mabye partner competition will bring the card below $300.

That could be also the base for some attractive GTX 960 and Tonga Pro/XT deals.

Seems like there's a chance it'll support DX12 feature level 12 - the leaked slides mention conservative rasterization. It also looks like they're supporting voxel based global illumination algorithms with some sort of hardware acceleration. Finally, they mention something called "shader: raster ordered view". Anyone know what that is?

All in all, looks yummy.

Tom Peterson's talk on G-Sync back on August 22 (youtube/pcper) was pretty explicit about having "no plans to support that [1.2a optional extensions / adaptive sync]" (51:37).
How is G-Sync technically different anyway? Wouldn't surprise me if nvidia could enable FreeSync with a driver update. (But of course they won't for now, no reason to alienate their monitor manufacturing partners.)

"shader: raster ordered view"

Can you elaborate more (or quote exactly what they said)? I can't currently view the page and I'm wondering if it's pixel shader ordering (like conservative rasterization, another new feature in 12_0). Perhaps it really is a feature level 12_0 card.

Now I'm interested! :p

How is G-Sync technically different anyway? Wouldn't surprise me if nvidia could enable FreeSync with a driver update. (But of course they won't for now, no reason to alienate their monitor manufacturing partners.)

Sadly, I don't know enough about both to do a compare, but I got the sense that with FreeSync, the driver is in control of when the monitor comes out of vblank/starts next scan, while G-Sync does the work of managing that for the driver.

I think the way to work out nvidia's gameplan here is to watch what they do with mobile/laptops. There were intimations in that video that nvidia will have gsync-related announcement for mobile, and given that edp is already there, I'll be curious how the tech winds up working....

Back