NVIDIA Maxwell Speculation Thread

Hopefully the 960 is based on GM206 and not a further hobbled GM204. Further more if GM206 is 256-bit it will surely crush GK104.

So unfortunate that these parts are still 28nm. I'll try my best to hold out for big Maxwell or Pascal on 16nm. It helps that I'm currently playing games from 2010.

Nvidia has already crunched the numbers and done the leg work, but since no one for sure knows of GM206's existence (at least on the current node), would it be more cost effective to die harvest 3 different GM204 SKU's for retail while reusing GK104 and GM107 to fill in the rest of the 900 series lineup? GTX980, 970, 960 TI is GM204, GTX960 and GTX950 TI are GK104, and GM104 makes up the GTX750 and GT 740.

That just makes the most sense to me, unless Nvidia is planning on entirely skipping 28nm and they think there is enough potential volume in selling a GM206 in place of GK104 to eat the R&D of building GM206 and then some.

Nvidia has already crunched the numbers and done the leg work, but since no one for sure knows of GM206's existence (at least on the current node), would it be more cost effective to die harvest 3 different GM204 SKU's for retail while reusing GK104 and GM107 to fill in the rest of the 900 series lineup?.

No the entire 900 series will be Maxwell. That is why Nvidia skipped the 800 desktop series.

I would strongly consider a GTX970 at $300, even though I'm satisfied with the performance of my GTX670. Must resist..

How about we get back to the architecture of Maxwell and stop with all the petty nonsense.

Near to release time architecture takes a back seat as people start weighing off desire to get something spangly and new and cost.

It's actually quite an interesting launch this one, from a none 3D geek perspective as I am rather than you lot.

I've got a 30 inch Dell monitor at 2560x1600 and a 660Ti, so it is suffering rather.... I resisted the 780/780Ti upgrade whilst I waited for the Maxwell top end to come out. I had put in a 750Ti in my families machine which does Minecraft and other low tech stuff, and it was cool, quiet and energy efficient. So I was looking forward to this launch. I'd get more performance by about 30% over 780 series and less power.

But it seems it's not quite as straight forward as that. The pinch of salt initial benches make it not that much better performing than current cards, because nvidia have gone got a completely different set of number of "units" on the card to get to that with a lot less power. Which is interesting. Not what I am used to, gives me more food for thought, especially with 780ti's coming down in price.

So it's going to be fun trying to work out the best path for the upgrade. As well as the difference in processing power or memory bandwidth etc etc factoring in the cost and also the heat/sound/power environmentals will be making even more factors to figure in.

The 980 looks expensive now but the 970 really cheap, but how does the 970 compete with the 780ti which is now £80 cheaper? Er...

The new chip seems like it might be a good overclocker though, so that might sway it that way.

So I am really looking forward to this release on Friday, will get the beers and food in and be prepared to sit down for a long time digesting.

Back