NVIDIA Maxwell Speculation Thread

http://techreport.com/news/26210/directx-12-will-also-add-new-features-for-next-gen-gpus

DirectX 12 will indeed make lower-level abstraction available (but not mandatory—there will be backward-compatibility with DX11) on existing hardware. However, Tamasi explained that DirectX 12 will introduce a set of new features in addition to the lower-level abstraction, and those features will require new hardware. In his words, Microsoft "only teased" at some of those additions this week, and a "whole bunch more" are coming.

So far, Microsoft has mentioned only two DX12 features that will need new hardware: new blend modes and something called conservative rasterization, which can apparently help with object culling and hit detection. Neither of those additions sounds hugely groundbreaking, but as Tamasi hinted, they may just be the tip of the iceberg. We'll probably have to wait for another announcement from Microsoft to find out more.

I wonder if second generation Maxwell will support all these new DX12 hardware features or we have to wait for Volta.

http://registration.gputechconf.com/quicklink/gHNYJQU

3VOOnXu.jpg

I wonder if second generation Maxwell will support all these new DX12 hardware features or we have to wait for Volta.

With all the clues available right now, the former is the better bet (assuming there will only be two 'generations' of Maxwell that is.)

With all the clues available right now, the former is the better bet (assuming there will only be two 'generations' of Maxwell that is.)

Former? I haven't seen any indication there would be anything different but the process it's made on between the 1st & 2nd gen Maxwell

At least it's listed as CUDA 5.0 supporting product
Both Kepler and Maxwell supports CUDA 6, does not mean they are the same arch.

Anyway, some interesting bits from hardware.fr:
There may be additional levels and levels 11_x 12_x, either directly or subsequently (Direct3D 12.1 ...). It is also not impossible that these are made available in Direct3D 11. Details at this level are still being finalized, including between what will be a new level or "caps". Nvidia says its GPU Maxwell are able to go beyond the current levels of features, implying that they bear a potential level 12_0. A weird point even though the level 11_1 is not supported. We should know more this summer.

Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell supports everything in DirectX 11.1 except the Direct2D features which are not related to 3D at all. It's not Nvidia's fault MS is boneheaded in their DX11.1 design in the first place. Damien Triolet still seems to be clueless about this.

Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell supports everything in DirectX 11.1 except the Direct2D features which are not related to 3D at all. It's not Nvidia's fault MS is boneheaded in their DX11.1 design in the first place. Damien Triolet still seems to be clueless about this.

UAV in all stages is a 2D feature? News to me...

And why blame MS? Both AMD and Intel have managed to release 11.1 hardware. Completely unacceptable imo that maxwell still is only 11.0.

I'm ignoring clueless mods from now on since they can't seem to understand the simple concept that the hardware supports the feature. Also no one is stopping you from using another card if you're so unhappy.

There are two 3d feature in D3DFL11.1:
1. UAV in all stages
2. Larger number of UAVs (64 vs. 8)

Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell support the first. And even all DX11 card can support this. The problem is the 64 UAV. Only GCN (this architecture support unlimited number of UAVs) and gen7.5 support this feature, and the max number for all other architecture is 8. This is why NV can't use this feature level, and the 2D features ofcourse.

Back