Halo Anniversary

>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>

Why does the visor on the mark V look so... cheap.

My thoughts exactly - it's like they've made it look bad on purpose.

Otherwise it looks to be using the Reach engine - indeed characters (eg Elites and MP Spartans )
look like straight imports from Reach with only the remade environments - so there is an issue in that the Reach stuff like the characters look higher quality than the environments

I don't know how many of you actually thought about it, but the island does actually seem to show that the water level has decreased significantly over time hence the arches and mini cliffs or the raised forerunner platform (end of the level). The tree design in the gif actually kind of looks like it was grown in a watery environment which has decreased clearly.

This is interesting, apparently while the MP runs on the Reach engine - singleplayer runs the CE engine with another layer of code on top with all the enhancements:
It was important to everyone involved that the game feel like the original Halo, and the only way this was possible was to keep the original code. There was then another layer added on top of that code, a proprietary engine that adds modern effects and textures to the game. In an amazing twist, you can hit a button at any time and switch between the updated graphics and the game's original look. The difference is striking, and it's impressive how far graphics have come in the last decade.

The ability to play with the old graphics used to be what the developers described as a "pet feature," a menu item that you could toggle on and off at the beginning of your session. They quickly fell in love with the feature, and wanted to give players complete control over which graphical style they played with. I watched as a Warthog was driven through the water in the old style with very little in the way of details, and then the new graphics were turned on and I could see the water churn.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...is-a-complex-love-letter-to-original-game.ars

This is interesting, apparently while the MP runs on the Reach engine - singleplayer runs the CE engine with another layer of code on top with all the enhancements:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...is-a-complex-love-letter-to-original-game.ars

The part where the Elite was getting hit with the needler and yelling was straight out of Halo CE, like exactly the same animation and everything. While having multiple layers that allows players to instantly switch sounds cool, I wonder what it could be doing as far as overall efficiency and memory usage goes, and I wonder if the physics will be overhauled so that they run like modern games normally do instead of the very simplified method used in the first Halo game.

That simple method was super awesome with all the bodies flying around after grenade explosions...

That simple method was super awesome with all the bodies flying around after grenade explosions...

While I had played Halo CE a couple times years ago, it wasn't until early last year that I finally sat down and played through the game on PC. Needless to say, it was strange playing a game with such simplified physics and animation that didn't match my framerate (obviously it truly was a port). The game was still fun and highly enjoyable up through the first 2/3s of the game (I really did not care for the last 1/3). It was just odd though seeing what are relatively early graphics sporting bumpmapping, good geometry and some cool particle effects, etc yet the game's physics are like those seen in Half Life 1.

Whatever the case, the remake looks absolutely stunning, and it's about damn time a Halo game ran a global shadowing system.

Is there no footage other than the small E3 press conference demo?

I should be a lot more excited for this, but it's hard to be when there's no real footage out there! Get with it MS.

Hopefully it will be on some stage demos or the like soon.

The part where the Elite was getting hit with the needler and yelling was straight out of Halo CE, like exactly the same animation and everything. While having multiple layers that allows players to instantly switch sounds cool, I wonder what it could be doing as far as overall efficiency and memory usage goes, and I wonder if the physics will be overhauled so that they run like modern games normally do instead of the very simplified method used in the first Halo game.
nope, it's the same exact game
same glitches, animations, physics too
just with a layer of new gfx and remastered audio added on top of it

Is there no footage other than the small E3 press conference demo?

Waypoint feature video:

You know, I thought the visor looked familiar:

Halo.jpg

Ugh. The chief just looks all sorts of wrong in the Anniversary footage, and so does the first person view's hands/arms.

Sloppy.

So is Saber Interactive just going to rip all the Halo Reach assets? The assault rifle should look more like an enhanced Halo 3 AR, not the one from Reach, unless that's how it's "supposed" to look. The only thing that really looks crap is the Chief. :| Now that I look at some of the footage here, some of the poly counts look really... bad, maybe due to the layering of graphics. Check out that Halo CE needler at 2:25 or the warthog at 3:35.

I mean... the Mark V was pretty much remade for Reach MP anyway. >_>

Are they using a completely new render? It looks very similar to Halo: Reach, but you can tell things like the lighting have been completely overhauled, along with level geometry. I guess they must have built a new graphics engine on top of the old Halo: CE code, then imported Halo: Reach assets and built whatever they couldn't reuse. All in all, I think it looks pretty good, the lighting in particular due to the use of real time lighting over pre-baked image maps. I always find that games using real time shadows have a bit more visual power to them, it just seems to bring the game to life more.

Back