Dark Souls

Sigh~ Why am I not surprised ? ;-)

EDIT: :LOL: Nope ! It's because I forgot that R1=swing weapon. :p

:LOL:

Hope you will not have the graphical glitches I, and many others, had. It ruins much of the immersion (in some places, all of it).

I took care of the Guardian last night.

At first, I rolled around all the monsters since I couldn't use my weapon. Pressed R1 accidentally when I got to the crystal monster in the Duke's Archive.

Profit !

I took care of the Guardian last night.

At first, I rolled around all the monsters since I couldn't use my weapon. Pressed R1 accidentally when I got to the crystal monster in the Duke's Archive.

Profit !

Man, I had problems with that one, first try I almost killed him while playing dead tired etc. But then I died so often and had to rely on some great co-op player from Japan to help me out...

Praise the sun, my friend. Praise the sun... :)

Yeah it was aggressive like Quelaag, but more tricky. Had to switch my gears to lightning resistance ones before I could even touch the monster.

How long did it take you to complete the DLC ?

I didn't see any soul signs. Perhaps I'm over-leveled. I spent 2 full days helping people with Ornstein.

Bought the game. Played it for a short while, couldnt Get pass the first boss after 10 tries and now i Wonder If i will play it again. I got close to taking him down, but had bad luck on two occasions, and after that somehow I performed even worse against him

Been playing this again. Or rather my friend has and we pick it up on Fun nights every now and again. The difference between playing a ranger as we first chose and a magic user is astronomical. Magic makes the games FAR easier and more fun. Less stress, more progress, less anxiety. It is a game that cannot be played without reading the internet all about it. Very odd.

Bought the game. Played it for a short while, couldnt Get pass the first boss after 10 tries and now i Wonder If i will play it again. I got close to taking him down, but had bad luck on two occasions, and after that somehow I performed even worse against him

Are you playing the game or the DLC ? If it's the game, try to get behind the boss. Back away when it lifts off. In Dark/Demon's Souls, you need to "hug" close to the monsters to avoid the blunt of their swing.

They may cast spells to cause area damage but they usually telegraph their moves.

As long as you watch your stamina and be patient, you may be able to survive. To win, you'll need to study the monsters' moves, and adapt. Sometimes, they are easier to tackle if you change gears to block their elemental or magical damage. Remember to switch rings too. But since this is your first battle, you'll have to meneuver around the beast. Took me 20-30 odd attempts.

Been playing this again. Or rather my friend has and we pick it up on Fun nights every now and again. The difference between playing a ranger as we first chose and a magic user is astronomical. Magic makes the games FAR easier and more fun. Less stress, more progress, less anxiety. It is a game that cannot be played without reading the internet all about it. Very odd.

Yap ! Magic users got it easier. Pyro is the easiest me think. They have toned down magic attacks. Used to cast "Iron Skin" and mash buttons to win boss fights. Those days are over.

For melee, I think Miracle is better than Pyro and Magic.

We started as a Pyro and that initial fireball is excellent. Then we quickly got into magic from experience with our Ranger, and the Soul Arrow was very effective providing ranged combat in a way that the ranger was pretty useless at. The advanced spells make big, challenging mobs easy to dispatch at distance in most cases.

Are you playing the game or the DLC ? If it's the game, try to get behind the boss. Back away when it lifts off. In Dark/Demon's Souls, you need to "hug" close to the monster to avoid the blunt of their swing.

They may cast spells to cause area damage but they usually telegraph their moves.

As long as you watch your stamina and be patient, you may be able to survive. To win, you'll need to study the monsters' moves, and adapt. Sometimes, they are easier to tackle if you change gears to block their elemental or magical damage. Remember to switch rings too. But since this is your first battle, you'll have to meneuver around the beast. Took me 20-30 odd attempts.

The game. That i good info, as my strategy was running in cover, running out an hitting!

I think I will start again as a pyro perhaps after reading online. Will read some more though, as I kinda want to make a bad ass sword fighter

The game. That i good info, as my strategy was running in cover, running out an hitting!

I think I will start again as a pyro perhaps after reading online. Will read some more though, as I kinda want to make a bad ass sword fighter

Choosing the fire bombs as your special item will also take care of that first boss in no time.

Choosing the fire bombs as your special item will also take care of that first boss in no time.

Haha, reminds me of how I murdered that first black knight !

Feels like a cheap bastard for all my cheezing in Dark Souks. ^_^

Cheezdoodles, the most terrifying enemies you will encounter are most likely the human players. Sooner or later, you'll have to perfect your melee skills. :runaway:

patsu said:
Haha, reminds me of how I murdered that first black knight !

Feels like a cheap bastard for all my cheezing in Dark Souks. ^_^

Cheezdoodles, the most terrifying enemies you will encounter are most likely the human players. Sooner or later, you'll have to perfect your melee skills. :runaway:

My biggest challenge is deciding on a class to play. I always struggle with this, especially in rpg's. in skyrim I decided to mix it up by creating two saves (my gf actually played it some also, so we made a magic class together, and I made I bad ass melee char also, I usually play assassin type classes but they usually sick :( )

What would you guys recommend in terms of fun?

My biggest challenge is deciding on a class to play. I always struggle with this, especially in rpg's. in skyrim I decided to mix it up by creating two saves (my gf actually played it some also, so we made a magic class together, and I made I bad ass melee char also, I usually play assassin type classes but they usually sick :( )

What would you guys recommend in terms of fun?

If you want to be good at melee but still have some magic abilities you could make a melee and pyromancy character. As long as you don't mind not being as good in magic and miracle spells. Pyromancy doesn't require an investment in stats beyond attunement. You can improve your pyromancy hand using souls instead of needing to increase the intelligence or faith stats for magic and miracles.

The best character to start with for that kind of build would be the pyromancer. He's only one with pyromancy spells from the get go. All the other classes have to wait until they find the guy who actually sells the pyromancy spells, which might take a while.

See Shifty's experience above.

Pyro is a good start. Then shift to melee and your favorite magic class (Pyro, Mage, Miracle).

Pyro is powerful but short range. You should get a good bow to complement your skills.

Mage has long range power attacks.

Miracle is mainly for healing and power defense (that can damage enemies).

Of the 3, I think Miracle is the most difficult in the early days. It is the most "powerful" for PvP later on.

EDIT: Actually, you should get a good bow anyway because it's the only weapon that can shoot at faraway enemies without lock-on.

Yeah, and heed what Cornsnake mentioned about no stats requirements for Pyro.

I am not a great player. In my experience, magic is difficult to use in one-on-one PvP against high level players. Magic is more useful in a party attack when the target is distracted. It may also be helpful in an ambush. That's it. :(

There is a quick Miracle cast that throws your opponents off balance, and damage them at the same time. You can apply it in quick succession. I think this is the most practical magic in PvP.

We play disconnected from the internet so there are no invaders. ;) As for magic and stuff, you must READ to learn when and where spells become available. First play through, we didn't encounter the magic option for tens of hours. This play through, spells are available from the very beginning as we know where to look. But you need to know where spells will come, as it's not like a traditional game where you have levelling up that's always with you. You'll have to find and buy spells, and if you never find the guy you want a spell from, you'll never get it. So you need to use the Wiki to see what spells are way and work out how you can get them. Yes, I think that breaks the game somewhat as it destroys the exploration, but traipsing around making no progress (first playthrough we got weapons early on that barely upgraded in 50 hours. Our eventual 'super bow' with massive magic damage turned out to be useless as you need magic arrows to gain from a bow's abilities) is no fun.

@patsu

>How long did it take you to complete the DLC ?

Do not remember, but I think around ten hours or so?

When I finally beat the "poker name boss ;)" (stopped playing there in frustration and had a hiatus of several months) in the original game I invested dozens and dozens of hours in 2 or 3 new chars etc. Even tough I have chosen a different ending on my first playthrough by mistake, as I was not sure what to do :rolleyes: .

But, I never finished new game+, will see if I will ever come around to do it, as you need a special mindset to play Dark Souls, you can not do it dead tired.

What is really interesting is that you can finish the DLC and then fight a certain boss in the original and have a different cut scene, man I love Miyazaki, I doubt we will ever see such things with the new directors.

Cheers...

Back