Dark Souls

I felt like PvP in Demon's Souls was developer-sanctioned trolling. Like "Thought you were going to defeat the boss? No way! Here comes a guy who's 12 levels above you to stab you once with his plague sword and run away! U jelly?" I hate getting killed by a BP so much I could never use the black stone myself.

My favorite trick is to unplug the network cable.

Yeah although the concept is very cool, the 3-3 boss in Demon's Souls can be overpowered. I defeated it off-line.

I was just playing Demons Souls at the weekend and had an awesome experience where i'd summoned a blue phantom into my game to help me slay the Adjudicator (i was too pu$$y to try on my own).

Whilst in my game we got invaded by a red phantom who engaged my blue phantom colleague out on the ledge where the gold skeletons are (the ones with the massive cleavers). I snook up behind the poor sap and we gang banged him from behind, banishing him from our game :D... so awesome!

If Dark Souls will be anywhere near as enjoyable as Demons Souls in creating these kinds of tense and awesome gameplay scenarios then it'll be one of my all time favourite games :)

I have something to live for! Any good JRPG's on the horizon that I should know about as well? I'm one of those that was severely traumatized by FFXIII.

Ever played Disgaea? Disgaea 4 is coming out this year.

With Disgaea though, the problem is that they are all essentially the same. Disgaea's awesome, but are my expectations that the experience of 4 will be fundamentally different than with 2 or 3? Just seems like a void of JRPG's this gen.

Very much looking forward to Dark Souls though.

What is Disgaea ?

A japanese TRPG. The first one is somewhat of a cult classic. It may look a bit simple thanks to the sprite based graphics, but it has an incredibly deep combat system. No to mention tons of stuff to do. I've played for over a 100 hours, and I still haven't done everything.

It's one my favourite RPG series because it lets me play how I want to. I choose which from loads of different classes I want in my party. I choose how I want to develop them, with more options available to me then I actually have time to do. And all that leads to letting you make your own unique strategies.

Anyway here's a review from eurogamer to give a better idea what it's all about.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_disgaea_ps2

With Disgaea though, the problem is that they are all essentially the same. Disgaea's awesome, but are my expectations that the experience of 4 will be fundamentally different than with 2 or 3? Just seems like a void of JRPG's this gen.

Yeah, that's true. I was hoping for a new IP from Nippon Ichi. Another TRPG, but with a new take on the combat system. Like Phantom Brave and La Pucelle.

I'm definitely going buy Dark Souls. Hopefully I can finish it this time before it becomes to frustrating.

Xbd, have you tried Nier ?

I haven't yet - is it good? From the reviews I'm seeing, looks like a mixed bag of sorts.

What I need is something along the lines of a Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Dragon Quest, Odin Sphere... I feel all these sub-genres are under represented at the moment. Classic FF as well, as trite as that may be too many. Star Ocean gave me some moments this gen as far as classic JRPG's go, so there was that. Coming from entirely different directions, Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls blew my mind with awesomeness... the lack of a true Valkyria sequel has me shaking my head. But graphics or no, you'd think the Japanese VG industry could crank me out some gap fillers or something - I don't even ask for too much quality! :p Gimme a Xenosaga or something...

I haven't yet - is it good? From the reviews I'm seeing, looks like a mixed bag of sorts.

It is a mixed bag of sorts. Most combat is repetitive and not so diffiult. Most of the sidequests are fetch quests. It can be tedious at times, 'specially at the beginning -- until you meet the 3rd character.

I like it because it combines a mixed bag of gameplay into the same world (3D exploration, top-down 2D dungeon crawl, sideway 2D platformer, text adventures, etc.). Not sure if you will find it gimmicky.

Story is dark and a little cruel. :love: the cast of unfortunate misfits. I missed the characters after the game. In FFXIII, I was more than happy to send the entire cast off.

What I need is something along the lines of a Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Dragon Quest, Odin Sphere... I feel all these sub-genres are under represented at the moment. Classic FF as well, as trite as that may be too many. Star Ocean gave me some moments this gen as far as classic JRPG's go, so there was that. Coming from entirely different directions, Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls blew my mind with awesomeness... the lack of a true Valkyria sequel has me shaking my head. But graphics or no, you'd think the Japanese VG industry could crank me out some gap fillers or something - I don't even ask for too much quality! :p Gimme a Xenosaga or something...

Sorry bro, I didn't play any of them except VC and DS. ^_^

EDIT: Short Nier thread:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=57309

It has a cult following on GAF. The Japanese gamers seem to like it too. They rated it as a pleasant surprise from Square-Enix, and look forward to a sequel.

I don't quite know how to rate this thing. The game has a special place in my mind. I think the story and characters are awesome, more than made up the shortcomings. The whole is more than the sum of its parts. Yadah yada.

Back